Mini holiday but Scared

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hi im 7 weeks post op and generally feeling good. Tommorow I'm going to my caravan which is a touring caravan stored on a site on the East Coast Flamborough near Bridlington.

Now apart of me is quite excited to be getting back to normality but I'm worried about everything from falling to travelling in a car for 2 hours , not being comfy in my bed or sat on the seating area that it's driving me mad. Does this operation/experience turn people into worrying about everything. I used to be care free.

Im going with my partner and i won't be getting involved in any setting up of the van and won't be driving and everything is on 1 level. So why am I so scared to leave the comfort of my own house. I think I've become institutionalised in my home and I am starting to panic. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Sue x

2 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I know how you feel. I'm 8 weeks today and doing things for the first time again is daunting. The drive in the car was dealt with early for me - I live at least an hour from the hospital I had my surgery in, so had to sit in the car on the way home.

I think the biggest thing is to bite the bullet and do it. I was (and am still) worried about dislocating, but each little step brings its own confidence. I'm sure that you will have a fabulous time. Enjoy!

• Posted

I am so with you there. I am 9 weeks on and would love to go away for a few days but am a real worrier. Would the bed be okay, height, soft enough. Like you what about the journey. I keep putting off even looking for somewhere to go. I tell you what lets just go for it. Nothing ventured. Fingers crossed for good weather 😀
  • Posted

Hi Sue, 

Awww.... well, I think it is very normal - 7 weeks post-op is not so long ago and it was major surgery - Of course you worry - you know how to move at home, where to sit, how to sleep, go to the bathroom etc - 

I am assuming that restrictions are relaxed - How are you getting on otherwise?

how about pain? walking with stick?

just asking --- Maybe it is too early ... what do you think? is staying at home an option?  So tough huh .... If it was me and I would be so scared, I probably would talk about it (again) - no need to put myself through this and not able to enjoy the stay ... 

sending you love and light - you will make the right decision ...

big warm hug

renee

p.s. just want to make sure:  this is, of course, my personal thought !!! and I am a worry-wart and creature of comfort 

• Posted

Hi Sueleeds,I am only three weeks post op so not as far forward as you but I know what you mean, I think these are natural worries I think we do get a bit "oooh dunno about that" but understandable as we have all  these rules to follow....I dont know about you but I am quite frustrated wanting to do something but am not sure if I am allowed and today I phoned to make my physio appointment and its not for three weeks!!!!so scared incase I am doing things wrong such as walking around the house with just one crutch or picking something off the floor so long as I stick my op leg out behind me at the same.....

I am sure once you get to Flamborough you will wonder what you worried about ...good luck, have a lovely time and dont forget to pack your thermals its a tadge inclemant on the east coast this week...  

• Posted

Dear Sue

Obviously I can't speak from experience as I have not had my op.yet.

I know it must be daunting but from your common sense reply to my worries about getting in the bath etc. you seem very clear headed and I feel you will cope well.

Also a lovely break from everyday routine will be a tremendous boost to your morale.

You will be wise enough not to overdo things and going to your own familiar holiday home you know what to expect.

Your post recalls for me a time when as a child I lived in Redcar and have great memories of the North East Coastal area.That was during the second world war,but I still remember the beautiful beaches and the sea waves crashing on those beaches.

If you can benefit from the beautiful views and the wonderful sea air while taking things gently it would do you the world of good.

As for the journey I have learned from this forum that quite a lot of people travel a considerable distance for their thr.

At least being with your partner you can stop as often as you need to (maybe take a portable loo seat raiser if needed?)also your bathroom stool?

Whatever you decide enjoy yourself,you deserve it !!!

If you don't decide to go right now, the caravan will still be there later after all.

biggrin

Best wishes

Joy

• Posted

Hi, Managed a caravan and two moterhomes for many years with two hip replacements and totally fused spine and only gave up for financial reasons, just take it easy for a while let people help and find ways of making the experience easier, and enjoy, wish l could still be participating. ...Tony
  • Posted

Oh beautiful there, if you decide to go take some breaks along the way and stretch your legs. Can you take a cushion to  make your seating higher if needed and your toilet raiser. It is a hard decision though, not always easy to know if your doing right or wrong. Have a great time if you go.
  • Posted

If you feel good, don't worry about it but be mindful of your limitations.

I was in a very similar situations last fall after my 1st hip replacement.  8 weeks after my operation we had a caravan trip in ours but the difference being that I have to drive ours (my wife doesn't like doing it and isn't licensed to do it anyway) and because ours is quite large (13m long, 3.9m tall), there are 4 steps to get in / out.  One of the precautions I took was that I brought a four-wheel walker and a wheelchair with me so that I didn't overextert myself once we were at our destination.  Also I gave myself lots of time to get there as we were driving about 1600km (from Ontario, Canada to Florida, USA) but the seat and seating position in our caravan ended up working very well for me so didn't need to take breaks more than every 2-3 hours.

Good luck, enjoy yourself and remember to take it easy and work within your comfort.

• Posted

Hi Sue - i live on South coast and managed a day trip to France on the shuttle - took my trusty memory foam cushion for the car which worked. We had wine with lunch which helped with trip back although i was tired ! Am sure you,ll have a lovely time as long as you take it easy . I think we all get a bit institutionalised during those first weeks at home and leaving your comfort zone can be scary . Plan lots of breaks for the journey , and dont exoect to be doing any ten mile hikes and you,ll be fine - the break will do you loads of good xxxxx
  • Posted

My journey home from the hospital was almost two hours long, so I haven't felt so daunted with long journeys after that ( it was a memory I won't forget in a hurry!) - take two soft cushions one to sit on and the other for your operated side to cushion it going around corners etc.

I always take my bed pillow with me so that you feel that you are at home - and if you still use one the sheepskin in the bed to stop bed sores. Comforts in a word.

I have been away a lot - my first weekend away was at the same time as you, and I was a nervous wreck walking anywhere. So kept to the room most of the time. I didn't sleep very well at all - and couldn't get comfortable. At best I would call it a change of scene and a morale booster - particularly for those looking after you. I didn't enjoy it to be honest - I hasn't realised how much happier I felt at home.

Tried again at 10 weeks which was better, I still couldn't get comfortable but was more confident.

Finally took a long haul holiday at three and a half months. I was very careful everywhere especially around the pool but definitely enjoyed the holiday much more.

Long and short of it, the longer you wait the greater the success of the holiday - so if it's costly it is worth waiting to you are better and more confident, but if you can go again when you are feeling more recovered then why not go now - it will be uplifting and you can always come home if you need to - have fun if you decide to go!

• Posted

How did you get on Sue? Sorry to interupt if your still there xx
  • Posted

Thanks everyone it's great to hear all your thoughts.

Well I did it and was very apprehensive at first but can honestly say I had a brilliant time. I felt abit helpless couldn't set up etc but apart from that I actually forgot I'd had a new hip until my foot started swelling after a night in the pub.

The last time I went to the caravan I could hardly walk but was fine this time it made me realise that I need to enjoy my new lease of life.

I still have restrictions in place until I'm 12 week post op but I've started sitting on lower chairs etc .

I don't use a stick any more but I took my grabber with me. I slept better than I do at home maybe it was the sea air or the wine lol.

Just on my way home now going back in 2 weeks.

Anyone feeling like I did go for it and brave your fears.

Sue x

• Posted

Good for you - am glad you enjoyed yourself xx
    • Posted

Well done, much needed break, glad everything went fine.
    • Posted

So glad you decided to go and enjoyed it.

Good for you,life is for living after all ,that is why you have your new hip!!

Thank you for sharing your experience.Every shared experience helps others.

Onward and upward from now on.

Enjoy each stage of renewed confidence.

Best wishes

Joyx

• Posted

Soooooo impressed !!!   

congratulations on a job well done - 

big warm hug

renee

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.