Mirrazapine + Venlafaxine please help!!

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi.

I am posting on here out of desperation as really don't know what to do.

I have been on mirrazapine 45mg since the birth of my daughter 4 years ago due to severe post natal anxiety,depression and insomnia.

I have had a couple of good years then due to what I believe could be hormonal issues I have had to add venlafaxine.

Every few months a week to 10 days before my period I loose it. I can't sleep I have panic attacks I can't eat can't leave the house cry all day it really is hell on earth. I also sometimes get suicidal thoughts. During these times it is as if I am not taking any medication whatsoever. It seems to spiral and even my period sometimes doesn't relieve things then I have to increase the venlafaxine. The doctor has said I may have PMDD and agrees my anxiety and depression occurs with my cycles. Each time my doctor increases venlafaxine by 37.5mg and this helps me until my next blip.

I am currently on 45mg mirtazapine 187.5mg venlafaxine. I am in the middle of another blip and am just at my wits end. I am terrified to increase the ven again as it is getting to the point I'm going to be on such high doses I will have no where to go from here. I have been referred to a psychiatrist who has said about maybe switching meds this again terrifies me as I have a 4 year old to look after without having to go through withdrawals.

If anyone has any information on these drugs together please please contact me.

I don't know whether the drugs have just stopped working for me which is why I have to keep increasing or if it is really PMDD and I will have to

keep going through this forever until menopause.

My doctors don't really know what to do with my anymore so I am requesting a referal back to the psychiatrist, I just don't understand how I can be taking two strong medications and still feeling so anxious and depressed.

Thank you to whoever takes the time to read this.

0 likes, 32 replies

32 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Lauren

Sorry to hear how you feel and I totally understand.

I take mirtazapin venlafaxine diazepam amitriptyline quetiapine zopiclone in large amounts due to bipolar psychosis anxiety and depression.....9 years and still go thru the same symptoms emotions as yourself. Answer??

Work with your GP/psychiatrist.....look to come off the mirtazapin altogether. Stick with the venlafaxine and ask to try the zopiclone for sleeping. Give it at least 3 weeks while your body adjusts.

Have never felt better! My brother suffers depression, bad sleeping....he spoke to his GP and like me he just takes a low dose of the venlafaxine and zopiclone. He is doing brilliant.

I still take the quetiapine for the bipolar/psychosis. I think we can over load ourselves with medication and I feell the GP can sometimes get prescription happy.

I only discuss/changing/increasing/ decreasing my meds with my psychiatrist as they have a far better understanding of such drugs and which interacts the best with each other (my psychiatrist is God as far as I am concerned), I wouldn't be here today without him.

Please don't give up.....I have done so many times. I never thought reducing/stopping certain meds would help me.....but quite the opposite.

Will be thinking of you and include you in my prayers.....you sound like a strong lady to be able to describe how you feel and asking for help when you need it.

You can do it....believe in yourself

Lots of love and hope

Jeannie x

• Posted

Hi Jeannie.

Thank you so much for your reply.

It's such a scary place to be in at the moment.

I've phoned my GP again this morning and they have said they will fax the psychiatrist for me and ask them to see me ASAP.

I will let you know what they suggest.

I'm just scared changing things is going to make me even worse and I really don't feel like I can get worse.

Thanks again I really appreciate such a lovely response xxxxx

• Posted

You will get there Lauren..I promise. It can feel we are in a very dark place at times, but keep telling yourself you are a survivor, not a victim and believe in yourself.

I still have ups and downs but on the whole I am being honest when I say reducing some of the anti d's has had a positive effect as I know I am putting more effort into managing my conditions.

You sound like a really lovely lady and you will get there....

Lots of love and a big hug

Jeannie x x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.