Mirt WD, hard to hang on!

Posted , 8 users are following.

Over 4 months, and still having bad days. It is getting harder to hang on. Yesterday was decent, today is horrible. Digestive issues, fatigue, anxiety, allergy symptoms, depression. I feel as if I have gone back to day one. 2 hours sleep last night. Throat sore from clearing sinus drainage. Headache. Ladies and gents, prayers appreciated. My wife says that the decent day yesterday proves I'm getting better, and today is just a setback. I appreciate what she said, but she hasn't a clue what this feels like, and I hope she never does! David

0 likes, 31 replies

31 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi David,

It appears you have the same withdrawl symptoms that I had coming off this medication.  I am currently 9 months free of the remeron and glad to say I'm not going back.  For the stomach issues, my doctor put me on a medication called Tecta (typically prescribed for GERD).  It did nothing for me.  The only thing that seems to help is yogurt (Greek style I prefer because it seems to have more acidiphylous and other proper bacterias to promote good stomach help).  I eat this at night before bed and usually throw some frozen fruit in for flavour. I also make a smootie in the morning similar to what another member had mentioned.  Gives good energy through the day and sets the day right.  I'll give you my ingredients I use if interested.  For sleep, that's still ongoing for me a bit, but much much improved.  I recently found out I grind / clench my teeth at night.  Dentist built me a dental splint to help with this for when I sleep at nigth....seems to be help so far.  Proper sleep hygiene seems to help, but sometimes I need a good old fashioned over the counter sleeping pill to get me through the night.  Long and short this is improving and I'm sure it will for you too.  The other thing that is probably helping is the fact that you appear to have a great support person....I don't think I could've come off this medication without the support of my wife.   I think whether it's a close friend, close family member or wife / husband / partner, that person really makes the tough days much more manageable.  Hang in there, it does get better....every 3 month period seems to get more improved.  I wish you well and don't give up....You've gotten this far.  The improved mental clarity, not having severe sinus infections, the improved energy / libido, etc are all worth coming off the medication.  BTW, for helping with the sinus infections, have your GP prescribe nasonex...it helped me alot for this.

• Posted

Ryan, thank you very much for the reply and info. Thi s has been and still is the toughest thing that I have had to deal with. At a little over 3 months and still waking up sick, when I get some sleep that is. Still weak, tremors, and GI symptoms. Thanks again. Folks like you keep folks like me from going back, which I have considered. The awful misery wears you down. David
  • Posted

BTW, these are all withdrawl symptoms you are having with Mirt....your symptoms seem absolutely the same as what I was going through.  What's difficult is how many GP's don't realize these are withdrawl symptoms, nore do they seem to know how to deal with them.  One other thing from my pevious post.  For the 1st 3 months coming off the medication I was having twitching / convulsion issues (also part of withdrawl) as well as restless leg syndrome problems / pains in my hip and ankle (probably weak points in my body)  My doctor prescribed gaba-pentin for this which seemed to work for helping me get my rest for the 1st 3 months of the withdrawl (strictly for my twitching issue).  It seemed to work for what it needed to do so that I could sleep without the twitching issues.  Currently, I only take the Nasonex very rarely.   I don't need the Gaba-pentin anymore but have some just in case / left over.....and the Tecta as I said did nothing. All the best to you David (and enyone else for that matter trying to come off of this difficult medication).  
    • Posted

Thank you again. It is even effecting my fingers as I type this. David
    • Posted

Ryan, how long before your GI symptoms subsided. That is my main problem with regard to the remaining withdrawal. Today makes 4 months for me. I have lost about 25 pounds. The GI issues are affecting my sleep, and ability to relax, and resulting in anxiety that would be much better without the GI stuff.

Regards,

David

• Posted

Hi David, I'm 9 months now free of this medication. It was only until recently that the gi problems are relatively non existent. With that said ,the gi issues for better at about the 6 month point. All in all that might seem like a long time, but in all honesty it gets a little better each day. The first 3 months were the worst, but it sounds like you're over that hump now.... Look forward to things improving moreso going forward. It may be worthwhile to get your doctor to try you on the tecta medication. It didn't seem to do much for me, but for you it might do something different. There's really no downside to trying the tecta as it doesn't have any side effects. But like I said, the thing that really seemed to help is eating yogurt at night before bed with a bit of frozen fruit. Similarly I make a smoothie in the morning with the following ingredients:

For a single serving

Water (about 1 cup)

Yogurt (about 6 heading tablespoons)

Dehydrated vegetable mix (I use "greens plus" the Berry flavoured mix)

About 4 table spoons of ground flax seeds and/or two table spoons of udos oil.

Approx 1 cup of frozen fruit.

Blend it up and drink. Gives good energy for the day and subsides the stomach issues I would regularly wake up with. The ingredients mentioned can be pricey but Give it a try. I blend mine up with a magic bullet blender as it allows me to easily make single servings. Let me know how things go as you progress. The weight loss is normal coming off mirtazapine. I am quite slim build so that was a big concern for me, but I've managed to maintain only losing about 10 -15 pounds, but people at work have noticed the difference. I'm actually at a good healthy weight though now according to my doctor.

• Posted

Hi David,

so sorry to hear you are still in this much pain. Im on month 7 and im going in to have my gallbladder checked this Friday as they have no idea why I still have GI issues. I didn't have them before the mirt. I know what you're going through, I think as my family has been very supportive but the doctors who I've seen, seem to think im either just depressed or drug seeking. So it would be good of the medical peeps to get on board this site at some point and help the people out who are trying to take care of problems based on their advice, which was taking the mirt to begin with. I didn't go out and do street drugs and then a 30 day detox. Sometimes doing it the right way doesn't pay I guess.

Anyhow, hang in there. More good days than bad to come. Hugs! 

• Posted

Hugs to you as well. I wish you well on the gallbladder issue. I am having spasms right now, and am miserable. Take care my friend, David
    • Posted

Look what I found! You at 7 months, right where I am at 7. Amazing! David
  • Posted

Hi David. I'm sorry to hear you are still suffering after all this time. I was only on mirt for 2 months and I've been off it for 9 days and the nausea and GI symptoms have been horrendous. I've lost around 6lbs in under 2 weeks. Just when you think the nausea might be improving you get hit with 10 times worse the next day. Then there's the vertigo/dizziness, terrible panic all the time and lots of other symptoms. Can I ask how long you took mirt for? I hope you are doing okay
    • Posted

David will help you into our Facebook page which is private if you private message him.  That's where you will learn more from people in your position.

I would help you in but I'm not very technical.

• Posted

Hello, I took 45 mg for 7 years, and 7.5 mgs for 1 year. I have been off for over 4 months and am still having fatigue, weakness, abdominal cramps, vertigo, and tremors. The good day/bad day stuff is hard to deal with. It is hard to get hopeful when you don't know what tomorrow will bring. Just being honest and up front. Don't make the mistake of comparing your situation with someone else, it will only confuse you more, and cause you more anxiety. I wish you a prompt recovery, David
    • Posted

Norma, she will need to contact Rose, as I don't know how to get into the page either. Rose did mine. Wishing you and your hubby a good day, David
    • Posted

Sorry about that David.   No it wasn't a good day yesterday,I was in the hostpital from 9pm-2pm,I had swollen feet and the last time that happened I had a heart attack,so my hubby took me up the hostpital,I had a blood thinning injection,because they were worried about a clot,they wanted to keep me in to give me a scan,but I wanted to come home.

Now today they say I must have the scan,but my hubby has also got an appointment with his radiotherapist,so we've got a bit of a problem.

Oh well such is life.  Hope your day goes better than mine. Take care xx

• Posted

Im currently on 30 MG of mirt. (generic). I suffer headaches numbness in my hand. Nausea. I'm so tired all the time. I have constipation. I can't concentrate. I get pains in my legs that wake me out of a sleep. When I told my doc he increased my dose as I was previously on 15 MG. The doc says this med doesn't cause any of this but it wasn't there previous to starting this med. I read that the wd can mimic the side effects. Nd depending on dose nd length of time on the med wd can be 2 wks 3 months or 6 months as everyone is different. Another thing I read is with generic the active ingredient can be plus or minus 20. In other words it can have 80-120% of the active ingredient nd they don't have to conduct studies as long as they contain the active ingredient by plus or minus 20 %. Nd who knows what the inactive ingredient is. With this med apparently when stopping it. It is so powerful u need to decrease by 1MG or less every wk or every couple of wks to not get wd. I have bipolar disorder anxiety severe insomnia so it was prescribed for several reasons. Most docs don't even know that information about the generic. It also comes in liquid form nd read that liquid is the best way to decrease as u can't decrease the dose in that manor with pill form. Once your on ne antidepressant or anxiety med your brain will no longer do what it naturally does because the med takes over nd it can take a very long time for your brain chemicals to naturally do what it use to. All of the research I've been reading is very alarming to me. I wish I never started ne med at all. As I already didn't feel well previously nd feel worse but if I don't take them. I will not sleep. I also take clonazepam .5 MG during the day nd 1.5 MG at bedtime nd 5-10mg of ambien as needed. Docs are to quick to medicate. Say the med don't cause side effects or wd for that long as they don't take them. Nd go by statistics which are bull cuz things go unreported or are dismissed that it's not from the med. I know how you feel David. My husband tries to speak for the meds nd depression nd anxiety nd insomnia as he has never suffer from psych probs or taken these meds nd gets mad if I complain or can't function. I'm sry if I wrote to much info or didn't answer your questions. But I do very much know what your going through as I've been on several different meds for 20 yrs nd docs just label us as another nut case that doesn't know what they're talking about. My heart goes out to you. Your not alone.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.