Mirt Weight Gain And Loss

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi All,

I started on mirt for depression just after Christmas and put on 1 stone very quickly which was bad news as I was already overweight. So to try and stop the weight gain I went on the diet where you have a maximum of 400 calories for two consecutive days every week. This has worked for me and the stone I put on has now gone and I'm going to continue with this as I could do with losing another stone as well. It's tough going but for me it's worked.

I'm now in the process of dropping from 30mg down to 15mg as 30mg made me feel worse than the 15mg dose. Has anyone else experienced this effect?

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Well done, Staz! That weight loss really is a massive achievement whilst being on mirt. I too lost over a stone whilst on it. So both of us are proof that it can be done, it just akes a lot of determination and hard work. If the mirt is helping in other ways, then it is worth this effort, but if it isn't then it is best to come off it. I hope you find the reduced dose has you more settled.
    • Posted

Hi Evergreen,

The mirt is helping but I was getting anxious about the weight gain and that was compounded by reading others experience on this drug. It's tough to do at first but you do get into a routine with it and I'm finding a steady 2lb reduction week on week is achievable. The rest of the week I'm eating normally and I'm finding I'm eating smaller portions as I don't appear to have the ability to eat larger portions any longer. Maybe the stomach shrinks back a bit.

• Posted

Well done Staz !  Not easy whilst on Mirt to lose a stone.

I suppose you may already know to come down slowly from 30 to 15 mg?  You may well get hit with WD if you do a 50% cut.  Best to go 10% every 2 weeks if you can bear it, or if not every 3 weeks.

Hope the 15mg works well for you.

• Posted

Hi Calmer and thanks,

I've only been on the 30mg for a week so I dropped to 15mg yesterday evening. My sleep was disrupted a bit but other than that no problems as yet and I fell about the same as on the 30mg although I've a niggling headache now.

I hope the weight doesn't put people of mirt. It is effective and in my case the weight has been manageable. My goal is to get below my pre mirt weight by a stone.

• Posted

Dropping to 15mg was a mistake. Major depression was the result so back on 30mg and starting to feel a bit brighter. I guess I need to stay with this dose for a few months and work at CBT (which I start tomorrow) to help manage the bizarre way my mind works before I consider cutting down.

• Posted

It is easy to think, when we start withdrawal and nasty symptoms pop up, that it is our old symptoms coming back, I would say it is probably the chemical withdrawal you were feeling as the 50% cut was too much for you, (and me) maybe you are sensitive to this big cut.  Either way, I think most docs advise to be AD's for a minimum of 6 months (to a year) whilst seeking help such as the CBT which can strenghen us naturally, and enable us to cope without these awful drugs.  

The witrhdrawal effect of Mirt' are hurrendous for most, for an informed choice read the advice on this forum at:  

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/depression-resources-298570

and then click on the link "REDUCING 

Although even the 10% cut is too much for many, I personally am doing a 5% every 2 weeks, which equates to 10% every 4 weeks, but a little kinder to the nervous system.

Wishing you well smile

• Posted

Hi Calmer,

I think I need a stable few months on the Mirt before I attempt any sort of withdraw. Trying to run before I can walk. Thanks for the advice and linksmile

• Posted

Oh sorry, I didn't mean for you to wd at all, I was just trying to help you see that the taper you did from 30 mg to 15 mg (above) would be the reason the horrible depression symptoms you described hit you badly thats all.

Anyway, I'm glad you are feeling a bit brighter, and hope the CBT goes well for you x

• Posted

Hi I switched to this drug after sertraline didn't work at all.. I really like being on this ..lifted my mood lots plus helps me sleep.. I also put alot of weight on in 2weeks I couldn't believe it.. Iv managed to get it off with a strict no carbs diet & 2-3litres of water aday. That way if I eat rubbish it gets flushed right out.. I find I'm fine during the day but as soon as I take my meds I start craving carbs which alot of these type of meds make u do. Just some quicker than others..Iv been on 30mg for 3 months I feel I need the dose upping now .. x
    • Posted

Hi Sharon. Try the fasting diet. A max of 400 cals for two consecutive days a week and then eat normally for the rest of the week. I'm finding it works for me.

Take care.

• Posted

Hi .. really iv been doing Cambridge. .lost a stone in 3 weeks .. each week feels like a month tho.. I went down hill at the weekend due to the diet effected my moods so bad. What do you eat on your 400 cal day? I get the munchies for carbs on meet not long after iv taken them but they're the best ad iv been on & iv tried so many.. thankyou
    • Posted

Hi, I buy the Tesco diet ready meals. Usually Spag Bol and Chilli. They are 400 cals each. 4 minutes in the microwave and done. It does require will power to stick to though but at least the rest of the week you can eat as normal although try to avoid chocolate etc etc. Doing it this way feels like I'm only on a diet 2 days out of 7 and not miserable for a week due to my diet. I've been getting rid of 2lb per week using this method.

I take my Mirt and go straight to bed so sleep through the worst of the 'munchy' phase.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.