Mirtazapine 15mg

Posted , 8 users are following.

Currently on my 2nd week  and feeling so much better in myself , I’m sleeping again, the migraines have stopped, it’s just the constant hunger, I’m already overweight and was losing weight until now. Does the hunger eventually go ? 

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Victoria,

Were you prescribed them just for insomnia?

I'm almost at the 4 week mark... and I'm sure I've gained a fair bit of weight in that time. I'm not even sure I'm hungry but I will keep on eating rubbish if I can.

I'm also getting a lot of side effects, which aren't great, and my depression doesn't seem to be improving. But I am sleeping much better than before when I was taking citalopram. Are you getting any side effects?

Karen x

• Posted

Hi Karen I was prescribed for insomnia and anxiety , I’ve tried so many this year, this is the only one that’s helped, it’s just the hunger issue, I have no other side effects, are you going to stick it out on them, are you on 15mg like me ? 
    • Posted

No Victoria, I was put straight onto 30mg due to my depression, anxiety and insomnia. I was on citalopram which was horrendous to be on but I didn't get any problems withdrawing from.

I honestly don't know what to do. I have a review this morning with my GP. I had an awful night last night too... I have been sleeping better but last night I forgot to take amitriptyline so I think it's that that's helping me with the insomnia, not the Mirtazapine.

I'll pop back later after talking to my GP. X

• Posted

Hi there,

well i was prescribed this only bc after my last Major surgery i have lost my apitite..im on 15 mg its been 7 days and nothing? not hubgry yet..How long did it take to increase your hunger?

• Posted

Hi Victoria, I've recently came off the drug after being on it for over 2 years and its genuinely been hell. I got a lot of side effects including massive weight gain. I used to be about 10 stone and I went to over 14-15 when on these meds. I was also ALWAYS hungry and craved carbs and junk food all the time so thats probably what did it. These meds sure make you eat, I can tell you that much. I have had a really bad experience with this drug on many levels and its very hard to withdraw from if you wanted to quit it, even though the doctors would say otherwise. I don't mean to scare you, just warn you its a nasty drug in my opinion. It may suit you though because everyones different, so I pray you'll get on with it and feel better smile Glad you're sleeping again and feel better! When I first started Mirt, the sleeping was pretty good. To answer your question though about the hunger. That side effect never went away for me. I was constantly hungry. 

I just want to offer you the choice of some different options you could take. Seeing your doctor and arranging for some therapy can really get to the problem thats causing you to need some relief from an anti depressant. Drugs can only do so much and most of the battle is done with lifestyle changes. Also if the weight gain is a problem for you, there's many more meds that can help you sleep, relieve anxiety and depression without the weight gain of Mirt. Hope you feel better soon! smile

• Posted

Hi guys I to was on mirtazapine for roughly 3 1/2 years. This is my second time of trying to withdraw from them. I’m in my 10 week. The withdrawal symptoms are really awful. I too wouldn’t want to frighten you but when I went in them  I to thought they were a miracle drug, they helped me sleep. I couldn’t stop eating, wanted food , sweets basically anything and that was so not me cos I was such an healthy eater.  I would never have taken it if I knew how difficult it was gonna be to get off it. So many people having a rough ride with the withdrawal of this tablet. Good luck! 
    • Posted

Hi Sue, are you still getting bad withdrawal symptoms at week 10? I really dislike the drug. I'm on my 17th day off it and have been going through hell. I bridged over to fluoxetine though and its just starting to help ease the withdrawal and symptoms, but insomnia is really hitting me hard right now. I hope you can get some relief soon smile

• Posted

Hi Beezwax, glad things are going better. Just hang in there. I am home alone on our Thanksgiving holiday with jacked up tummy, crawly skin and extreme paranoia. Im about 6 weeks in. I am grateful for you guys, understanding helps. Oh, I haven't slept at all 4 nights...probably why i am paranoid, lol.

• Posted

Unfortunately yes I am. I thought I was getting over  the withdrawals cos I felt pretty good for a week then boom last Thursday I was as bad as ever. I nearly took a mirt last night the anxiety is terrible. I suffer with health anxiety so the slightest thing will be escalated. Hope your withdrawal is kind to you. 
    • Posted

Hey Gretel, damn that sounds really bad. I feel for you! Sleeping is my main issue at the moment too. I have too many thoughts racing through my mind. Have you tried meditation or some herbal remedies? I know its hard, but just remember that sleeping is a natural thing our body does. It will come to you eventually. I know from experience it makes you more anxiety fueled when you arent sleeping. Just try and not give it too much of your attention. Hope you feel better soon! smile
    • Posted

Hey Sue, because I've transitioned onto fluoxetine its now just starting to help with the anxiety a little (which i really needed). Right now my main issue is sleep for sure, cannot stay asleep at all lately. Just trying to not think about it so I'm not fueling and making myself believe i cant sleep. Stay strong and don't take the mirt no matter how bad it gets. There's always short term alternatives from your doctors. Mindfulness, meditation and staying busy helps me with the anxiety side of things. Stay strong! smile

• Posted

I only lasted a day on this medication. It was the worst thing I've ever taken, I slept for nearly 2 days solid and was so hungry.  I decided I couldn't take it and went back to escitalopram.  There's no way I woukd ever try it again 

• Posted

I think it was probably for the best Helen. It sounds like an awful drug to withdraw from! I'm getting bad side effects whilst taking it... although too much sleep isn't one of them.

I can't go back to citalopram as it was horrendous for me... no sleep and a huge increase in anxiety, depression and suicide / self harm thoughts. My psychy consultant also recommended trazodone to my GP... I might ask to give that a try x

• Posted

hi there,

this blows my mind how different people can respond to this drug? its been 7 days now on 15 mgs..And i was put on this ned bc i lost weight after my surgery..So far i notice Nothing at all??

im waiting for it to kick in..im going to up my dose to 30 mg and see what happens?

• Posted

Hey Victoria, are you currently on or off mirt? I misunderstood.
    • Posted

I think she's on the Mirtazapine, has been for a couple of weeks Gretel x

• Posted

I’m now currently off them, day 10 without, I couldn’t cope with the weight gain and started getting very snappy with everybody ! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.