Mirtazapine 15mg - Weight Gain. Help?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Today I have been given 15mg Mirtazapine for the first time. From reading reviews I'm very concerned about taking them mainly due to the weight gain many people experienced.

I'm a 31 year old female and other than the pass 2 years I have always been overweight (18 stone). I'm now 11 stone which I'm comfortable with.

I have been given Mirtazapine as following operations and maybe more to come I have been suffering with very low self esteem mentally & physically. 

I know the medication has been given to help but I'm worried if I am to gain weight I will feel even lower about myself. I have told this to my GP who has advised he will weigh me in 2 months to see if weight has been gained.

By reading your reviews the weight gain seems to happen very rapidly.

Your opinions and thoughts are greatly appreciated 

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hiya hun yes iv been on these now fof 10 years and was 7 stone when i was put on them i am now 11 stone they do put weight on but if you not happy get them changed im trying to do that now good look hun liz 
  • Posted

I was on them for 4 months, have to say I didn't put any weight on, but most people seem to but everybody is different, so you may not.

It is supposed to give you a sweet tooth, but I have one anyway, but didn't notice an increase in my sugar intake

• Posted

Hi Jojo,

Maybe try half a tablet (7,5mg) before sleep and see. I, pretty much on day one, each time I started Mirtazapine had a hunger for just about everything I could see. I'm skinny and my problem was not eating or sleeping so this drug, although very far from ideal, dealt woth those two problems. From what I've read mirt either makes you hungry (me mostly for sweets, which I've not eaten in years) or nausieus. If you have a problems other than lack of apetite I'd stay away or see for a week or so. Weighing after 2 months is a bad idea as you'll know much sooner if it increased your apetite but coming off it is another story, and it might be quite tricky after two months. Good luck whatever you decide!

• Posted

Hi jojo,

I've been on Mirtazapine for 20 months and I've gained 4.5 stone.

I've tried every way of losing weight on these tabs... Exercise, weight watchers, diet pills the lot...

Although the tablets stopped the suicidal thoughts in the beginning, the weight gain eventually put me in a bad place...

After speakin to my shrink he told me the tablet was originally given to anorexia sufferers to help beat depression but also for weight gain as increased appetite And slow metabolism.

My weight increased at around 5lbs per week and I just could not stop it...

If your concerned about weight gain I'd advise weighing yourself every week and see how you go.

Wishing you well

Xx

• Posted

Thank you everyone for your quick respones on this.

It seems like the weight issue effects the majority which makes me very worried about taking them. I already have to be very careful with what I eat. Even looking at treats makes me put on weight.

Good idea to start taking half to start with.

I have seen some people mention they have restless night sleeps. Does it effect your sleep in anyway?

Again thank you, its nice to know I'm not alone.

Jo

X

• Posted

You're welcome! Yes, I was suggested to take 7.5mg and never needed a higher dose (I'm 8 stones, 5.6 foot). 

Nights are weird but it gets better with time. Dreams are very vivid and often project scary situations, flying planes as a pilot! (I have a flying phobia), going to war, having a terminal illness, or most nights - being lonly, without my family and children and calling my ex boyfriends to take me back! Real horrors, which do make you exhausted in the morning but still better than insomnia. I'm too having to deal with an illness and sleep is crutial to my recovery. But had it be my only problem I'd take prescription sleeping tablets. Don't let the doc decide it for you!

Best wishes!

• Posted

It sounds like your coping well with the medication smile

Without the medication I'm having a very disturbed sleep and then the next day I can't stay awake which effects my works. I already take lots of pain relief which you would think would knock me out but sadly has the opposite effect.

Any advice you can give from having taken this medication would be great. 

Thank you..x

• Posted

It's really hard to tell if it's going to be more beneficial or harmful to you. I'd also remember that it's not easy coming off it. I've tried two times. Read on mirtazapine withdrawal. Sometimes it's just not worth it. On the other hand all of them have side or withdrawal effects. Stay on the forum and feel free to ask whatever you decide smile

Best of luck!

• Posted

Okay just took my first half, does everyone have the dispersible tablets. They don't taste the greatest!!

Not really sure what I was expecting wink x

• Posted

I reckon 7.5 will help you sleep, might be a bit odd at first, but after couple of nights, sleep will be much better, dreams can be vivid, but I quite liked them.

I found coming off ok, but I really took my time and tapered down and had little or no withdrawal

• Posted

I put nearly a stone in weight on in just 6 days , I never in my life had such an obsession with food I stopped the tablets contacted my GP and after discussion commenced on Citalopram 20 mg one a day , I still feel I have a long way to go my memory was practically none exist ant due to severe stress but I am trying to get over the horror when I'm trying to remember a name and i seem to have a memory blank !!
  • Posted

I too had very vivid dream which I still believed were true... Even up2 in some cases up until 6 hours of waking.... Memory was a nightmare ... Some days I couldn't even remember my date of birth...

On a positive I did a withdrawal off 30mg in 5 weeks with virtually no side affects and the weight is now falling off

Good luck to everyone x

• Posted

Hi. I was on them and didnt put on any weight. If you dont eat too much you should be ok.  Snack on celery sticks etc if really hungry.
  • Posted

It's really nice to know I'm not alone.

I slept well last night, 12hrs. Really struggled getting up. Already I'm craving sugar not sure if this is in my head though.

I normally manage my weight by exercise but due to surgery I can't

X

• Posted

Hi Jo Jo i was on 45mg of Mirtazepam for 4yrs ,at the time I was6st10 and suffering chronic IBS .within no time I wheat up to 10st which I didn't really mind.But I have tried to come off them twice with difficulty.however I am now Down to22.5mg and that has took me a long time but I am determined to get off them,they are really hard to get off them you have to take it so slow.But back to the weight I'm now 9st but I don't feel I eat any less.Quite honestly if I ever need another antidepressants I'd go for something else.By the way I didn't have the problems some people have at the beginning I took it at night slept well and felt fine next day.I don't think it puts weight on a lot of people either I do think that depends on your metabolism .sorry to go on but if I was you I'd ask GP for something else.Good Luck 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.