Mirtazapine 15mg - Weight Gain. Help?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Today I have been given 15mg Mirtazapine for the first time. From reading reviews I'm very concerned about taking them mainly due to the weight gain many people experienced.

I'm a 31 year old female and other than the pass 2 years I have always been overweight (18 stone). I'm now 11 stone which I'm comfortable with.

I have been given Mirtazapine as following operations and maybe more to come I have been suffering with very low self esteem mentally & physically. 

I know the medication has been given to help but I'm worried if I am to gain weight I will feel even lower about myself. I have told this to my GP who has advised he will weigh me in 2 months to see if weight has been gained.

By reading your reviews the weight gain seems to happen very rapidly.

Your opinions and thoughts are greatly appreciated 

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Jojo I have been on mirtazapine 15mg about 3 weeks now. I have noticed increased appetite especially at first but it's died down a little now. I don't believe the tablets make you put on weight I think they maybe just increase your appetite so you need to be more careful about what you eat and maybe get more exercise. 

I've had a lifelong weight problem up and down up and down and my will power isn't great so I was also really scared of the reviews when I first got put on them but I'm finding it manageable. Everyone's different but hopefully with discipline it will be ok. 

Also the dream thing - I get such vivid dreams too that's only started the last week or so but luckily a lot of mine have been quite nice including one where I was just telling everyone who's ever upset me exactly how they'd made me feel and they were just sitting and taking it and agreeing - that one was actually quite therapeutic haha! 

I hope you're getting on well with Mirtz anywaysmile 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.