Mirtazapine and venlafaxine and planning to go cold turkey as getting worse

Posted , 5 users are following.

Has anyone experience of stopping Mirt and venlafaxine together as I am just getting worse (more anxious and depressed) and I'm sick of it all.  The mirt isnt even helping me to sleep now and I am exhausted.  All I'm thinking is that I cant get any worse so may as well give it a go but just checking if anyone has been on the same and did the same and how it went. Thanks x

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

How long have you been on them at what dose ?
    • Posted

Sarah, Mirt 30mg early dec 16 upped to 45mg end Jan then venlafaxine added 37.5mg end march upped to 75mg now. Did come off mirt for a while (my own choice)but reluctantly taking 15mg mirt now, psych doc was threatening anti psychotics!

Lorraine i haven't stopped anything yet but just checking to see if there are any positives out there. And your comment "on both and feeling great" does give me hope because I cannot even dream to hope I will feel "great" again. X

• Posted

I really wouldn t do it you could get seriously ill the only way is a slow taper. I am on ven and mirt and feel ok....alot better than i did. On 45mg of mirt and 150mg of ven. I plan to start to taper the mirt at 10 % every 4 weeks to see if a lower dose is ok may come off if it goes well.

I found the mirt on its own did nothing for me. It was only when i got to 6 weeks on 150of ven that i started to feel better. So getting the dose right is important. I don t know if i need the mirt so will come off very slowely.

I woukd talk to your doc and get advice.

Please do not go cold turkey you will feel worse.

• Posted

Hi Rachel

I am currently on both ven and mirt and feeling great. I did try cold turkey last year and became extremely unwell after day 4/5. I felt better and thought I didn't need them anymore. That was a huge mistake!

It may be that your combo isn't balanced correctly eg dosage of each med. You can make yourself very ill by just stopping. Your brain will be frantically trying to balance itself. You may find you get bad stomach and other aches and pains, the worse of the symptoms will be severe depression and anxiety. It honestly isn't worth it.

Please see your gp and tell them that you have stopped and tell the gp you feel the combo wasn't working.

It is essential you wean yourself of these meds, some people have been hospitalised for illness following a cold turkey approach.

Please don't put yourself through this. Reinstate and ask your gp for a withdrawal plan if you really don't want to take the meds.

Wishing you better Rachel ??

• Posted

Hi Lorraine again, please could you explain how you were after stopping in more detail?
    • Posted

Hi Rachel

I felt absolutely fine for 3 days then boom I was so ill on day 4. Dreadful diarrhoea and a sense of going completely out of my mind. Cried buckets and took to my bed! Depression was so bad I felt suicidal. I also had palpitations and sweats. As soon as I reinstated I instantly started to think normally and started to recover. I was told you need to be a full six months well before contemplating reducing. That's where I went wrong! How are you doing today? ??

• Posted

Thank you for that.  Yes I actually feel okay today and normally Friday is my worse day as dread the weekend.  Been on a long walk with friend this morning, exercise is the one thing that does make me feel a bit better. I've not done anything as yet and still taking all the meds.  It is also brilliant to hear from someone who has done all this and come out the other end. x

• Posted

Bless you Rachel ♥

You will come out the other end too x

Please keep in touch ♥

• Posted

Also (for girls eyes only) has anyone had any trouble with periods on these drugs? I have been on a period for a week (normal is 3 days for me) and only two weeks after last one.  I am 47 so could be to do with menopause but I kinda presuming that periods drop off not increase with that!
  • Posted

Hi Rachel

I thought the same as you in respect of 'never feeling well again' I 100% promise you that you will be well again ? this illness tricks you into believing you will stay unwell. It tricked me for a good 10 months before I got the right ven/mirt combo. You are going to come through this and you will enjoy life once again. Promise! ?

• Posted

I felt the same. Im not 100 % but was very ill for nearly 3 years and had my son in that time so i think it will take a while.
    • Posted

Hi Sarah

It's a horrible illness that people who have never experienced it, can understand. It must be so difficult when you have a child to take care of too. How are you coping, hope you have some good family support.

It takes time to get better but when you do, it feels amazing!

Wishing you well Sarah ???

• Posted

I totally agree with Lorraine, I have to take my hat off to you coping with a small child and with all their demands.  I have 4 but older, youngest 8 and managing to hide it all from them (and husband) up to now but how much longer I'll manage to do that I dont know, the performance I have to keep up at the weekends is exhausting.  Thanks for your support both. x

• Posted

Hi

It has been really hard. I was unwell before i got pregnant but got alot worse in pregnancy and in the first year after his birth. He is 16 months now. It is still hard but not as hard. I am on 4 meds which i hate but am really scared of the withdrawals so am going to start with the mirt.

My dad has moved over to help. My husband has been good but things are very strained atm. He can t really understand how ill i ve been and gets frustrated. It really is the worst illness as it is so misunderstood.

My son is what gets me through.....and the meds.

Good luck to you both xx

• Posted

Why do you hide it from your husband ? I would not have been able to it was so obvious i was very unwell as i could not function.

Maybe talking to him would help.

• Posted

Okay sorry i don't know what I'm doing! I Don't tell my husband partly because I tried before and he just says everyone has problems and doesn't seem to want to know and also a lot of this started due to problems with eldest and I want his dad to love our son, I have forgiven him but don't think his dad has. I have surprised myself with my amazing acting but the weekends are particularly difficult and long because that is when the mask goes on but it can't go off until Monday when I go to pieces. I also use unhealthy coping mechanisms to help me cope and act normal especially when everyone is due home. The locked bathroom is my sanctuary which I know is weird and is time limited when husband home as it rouses suspicion. Really I would just like to run away and hide under a blanket but I know that I wouldn't be escaping the real problem - me!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.