Mirtazapine; cold turkey withdrawal week 7

Posted , 18 users are following.

Hello Everyone

I found this forum in desperation suffering chronic insomnia after abruptly stopping 15mg of mirtazapine.  I naively thought I could just stop without any tapering as I thought my dosage low (15mg) coupled with the fact that I had only been taking it for 5 months.  

I would like advice from anyone in a similar boat.  My main problem is dreadful insomnia.  I battle to fall asleep.  I have had nights when I am awake the entire night, going to bed at midnight and still awake at 5.00am.  It's a mixed bag at present.  Some nights I will get 3-4 hours sleep.  Other nights maybe 5 -6 hours if I'm lucky.  My mind races and I get stomach gurgling and anxiety.  

Please someone tell me that this state will pass.  I would like to hear from someone who has withdrawn from this drug successfully and had their natural sleep pattern/rhythm return eventually.  And when approximately this can happen.  I did read that 3 months is a fair expectation for complete withdrawal but would really appreciate any first hand experiences.

I have explained all this to my doctor but refuse to go on a different AD so she has given me a 2 week supply of zopiclone as a security blanket for bad nights.  I panic at the thought that two weeks is hardly a comfort if I thought that this chronic insomnia can last for many more months.  

0 likes, 36 replies

36 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Christine.Yes it will pass but it will take time,unfortunately.I started with Mirt about 7 months ago(15mg am;upped to 30mg 15am,15pm).I was also put on Gabapetin and Tramadol,while being weaned off of Paxil and Ibprofin,all for IBS/anxiety/depression and associated pain.I'm still on a roller coaster,but getting better(i hope!).It takes time for your body to "rewire" itself.Two things that help me.A good counselor to talk to and a theraputic massage every couple weeks or as you can afford.I've put my trust in God to get me thru and I WILL be praying for you.HANG IN THERE!! God Bless You,Bob

• Posted

Hi Christine,

how you doing on your journey? I am down from 45mg to 15mg since (started reduction beginning May,and last decrease 28days ago) now holding until after new year as don't want feel all severe withdrawels over this period.feeling nervous about the last 15mg,and maybe will need try obtain liquid and go much slower,that's if GP will prescribe,as they don't recognise withdrawels from this drug,think they should read this forum,or try to take this drug,then withdraw for themselves.my only reason for withdrawing is severe nightmares last couple years,have been on this drug 6 years for severe clinical depression,and worked great,until the nightmares began.

• Posted

Hi Chrisy

I am going to be completely honest here and say this drug is truly dreadful to withdraw from.  You are wise to hold on for now at 15mg and the advice widely suggested is to taper only 10 percent per month.  Be aware that it will take time.  Too many people think they can cut this drug dosage in half after one week and the doctors don't know any better.

I have been mirt free for nearly 6 months and I'm still not out of the woods.  Month 4 mirt free I was feeling really good.  I was only taking magnesium supplements and managing to get some sleep and go running, no anxiety either. Then BANG, October was hellish.  The insomnia came back with a vengeance and with it the anxiety about not being able to sleep.  Some nights I would be awake all night and so the stomach churning would start.

You have to be very easy on yourself and take things slowly. I now don't expect to feel anything near my old self for at least a year.  I think these antidepressants batter your central nervous system when you withdraw from them.   And I'm staying off them.  I'm not taking any drugs apart from the odd sleeping tablet and my HRT.  I'm currently half way through a mindfulness course which addresses stress, anxiety and depression.  If my insomnia doesn't improve as time goes by I shall go back to my GP and suggest they refer me to a CBT course for insomnia.   There is no easy fix when wanting to be free of this drug and I have found that at the hard way.  

Good luck with your journey and please feel free to ask anymore questions.

• Posted

Hi, Christine I went off CT 11mg  5 months a go . Please help I need reassurance right now, I felt I was doing better in my 4th month sleeping better, I dose in and out most nights, but for the most part I feel ok during the day, I seem to do  fine for about a week then I get the one or two days of no sleep. When I started the 5th month off MIRT things starting to go  backward, last night no sleep again two times in same week now no sleep again, and when no sleep I start feeling Anxiety and mood start to creep in , feeling  so defeated right now, I am not on any other drugs or alcohol. Do you think it is still MIRT withdraws?
    • Posted

Hi Switchman

What you are describing is exactly what I have experienced and yes it still is withdrawal symptoms.  I was doing just fine in month 4 mirtazapine free then a month later...............BANG the insomnia came back and with it anxiety just because I couldn't sleep.  Hold on if you can, it does get better.  This drug is renowned for its windows then waves.  I know people that are only feeling truly better being off mirtazapine after a year.  I'm six months free from mirtazapine now and getting better but slowly.  I take a sleeping pill if I need to but I'm managing to sleep without them and have done for the last 2 weeks.  This drug really seems to have a protracted withdrawal with most people.  Like you I was worried and thought there must be something else going on, surely this drug can't still have such a hold on me.  I had routine blood tests done just to check and they all came back fine.  I don't take any other drug either so I really believe it is still mirtazapine coming at me as I never had a problem with insomnia before I took it.  Keep telling yourself it will get better and don't beat yourself up if you need a little help with sleep. I hope this helps

• Posted

Hi,

Thanks for shareing those positive words of encouragement to keep me going, I just felt so beat down today. Working has been such a struggle with ongoing MIRT with draws. It seems that even the normal task at work becomes monumental in size when sleep deprived, I have some ambian I can take tonight if I feel I may need it, as I got to go to work tomorrow.  I try not to take sleep aid that much, as I do not want to build up a tolerance. Just last week I was writing in my sleep jurnel  and how good I have been feeling and how optimistic I have been feeling, and then the wave hits.  Again thanks for takeing the time to get back to me.

• Posted

Honestly you are welcome.  I do know how down the lack of sleep can make you feel.  I keep track of my mirt FREE journey in a diary just like you.  In month four I thought I'd really put this drug to bed once and for all and I was coping well.  No sleeping tablets for well over a month.  Then the insomnia returned.

I have told myself this: if you had to lose a considerable amount of weight say for health reasons; or you had just given up smoking; or you had broken a bone or torn a muscle, 5-6 months would not be enough time to say yes, I've cracked this.  Your body and mind would still be working and struggling to mend.  There is no quick fix with these ADs and as long as you can be kind to yourself and realise that it will take time you will feel a little bit mire positive.  Don't feel too bad about using sleeping pills if you need to.  In my experience they are a hell of a lot easier to stop than most of these antidepressants despite what the doctors tell you.  

Feel free to message anytime

• Posted

Hi,

I had anouther bad night sleep last night, trying to work it out, hope you are sleeping ok?  I found this quate that I like and will share with all who read this.

When you cant control whats happening challenge yourself to control the way you respond to what's happening. Thats where your power is!

160 days off the MIRT

• Posted

Hi,

Can I ask you a question?

You said you were doing a mindfulness course, Is that a book or some online course?  And do you think it is helping at all with your sleep? I would be interested to try it myself, if you think it is helping, I think anything that is drug free I feel is worth trying.

• Posted

It's a group course funded by the NHS. When I went to the doctor, I asked to be put on a waiting list for Talking Therapies.  It's basically counselling on a one to one basis.  Whilst seeing my counsellor I stopped mirtazapine and then battled with the insomnia.  During my course of counselling I asked my counsellor to put me up for the mindfulness course which she did.  All these things take time as there is a waiting list, but it's a 9 week course and I've nearly completed it.  My last session is next week.  If I'm honest, I'm going through a wave patch at the moment with sleep and I'm struggling despite the mindfulness but I would still recommend it.  Mindfulness gives you the awareness to deal with  depression, anxiety, insomnia and changes how you respond to the triggers.  By accepting these triggers and not pushing them away, changes how you deal with the warning signals.  Once you accept that they are there  and don't push them away they begin to lose their power/hold over you and this in turn begins to change your thoughts and feelings about your depression, anxiety, insomnia.  Again there are no quick fixes but having tools that can help to respond to bouts of depression without resorting to pills has proven to be very effective. 

I hope this helps.  

• Posted

Hi,

Thanks for sharing, My health care provider does offer the MBSR Mindfulness meditation free to the public in audio form on line, I did try it last night and it worked well for me, You mentioned tools, Last night I did get some good sleep with the use of a tool the acupuncture doctor gave me,  does not involve any sleeping pills. An ancient Chinese herb tea and some mindfulness meditation along with last 30min of CBT lowering your core body temperature, I often find my self drifting off to sleep.  Seems to work most every  time. Do not repeat more than 3 to 4 times a week as like anything else your body will build a tolerance. When it comes to chronic insomnia you need to develop as many tools as you can.

• Posted

Hi I’ve been attending Buddhist classes for several months - the meditation aspect and instruction on mindfulness very helpful - nothing is ever the complete answer but in conjunction with other advice methods - herbal teas exercise health eating .... it has to be better than the meds 
    • Posted

Hi Rob

I have completed a 9 week mindfulness course with a lot of meditation.  Whilst it did not sort out my crippling insomnia it did help a little with the anxiety issues over the sleeplessness at night.

• Posted

hi! im currently right now on 11.5mg of mirtazapine after tapering for 2weeks, and today tapering to 8.5 mg for 2 weeks then 3.5 for 2 more weeks then 1. something for another 2 weeks and then leave it for good. but im scared today i i wish to know, for me that i took mirtazapine 15 mg for almost 4 weeks do i have a chance to not feel bad withdrawal? right now all i had felt is me feeing weird and a bit shaky and too sleepy also muscle twitch and my neck hurts a bit much but mainly im really been scared all the time you. i would love a reply!!! thank you and hope your doing great!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.