Mirtazapine; cold turkey withdrawal week 7

Posted , 18 users are following.

Hello Everyone

I found this forum in desperation suffering chronic insomnia after abruptly stopping 15mg of mirtazapine.  I naively thought I could just stop without any tapering as I thought my dosage low (15mg) coupled with the fact that I had only been taking it for 5 months.  

I would like advice from anyone in a similar boat.  My main problem is dreadful insomnia.  I battle to fall asleep.  I have had nights when I am awake the entire night, going to bed at midnight and still awake at 5.00am.  It's a mixed bag at present.  Some nights I will get 3-4 hours sleep.  Other nights maybe 5 -6 hours if I'm lucky.  My mind races and I get stomach gurgling and anxiety.  

Please someone tell me that this state will pass.  I would like to hear from someone who has withdrawn from this drug successfully and had their natural sleep pattern/rhythm return eventually.  And when approximately this can happen.  I did read that 3 months is a fair expectation for complete withdrawal but would really appreciate any first hand experiences.

I have explained all this to my doctor but refuse to go on a different AD so she has given me a 2 week supply of zopiclone as a security blanket for bad nights.  I panic at the thought that two weeks is hardly a comfort if I thought that this chronic insomnia can last for many more months.  

0 likes, 36 replies

36 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hello 

Same thing happened to me but I stupidly went back on it ! 

Now I got to wait and try it again. 

Good for you staying off it. Wish I would have but I felt it was to much 

Good luck 

• Posted

I quit cold turkey after being on 30mg for 2 years. Whatever problems I have had, where minimal compared to the crazy back and neck pain I had because of it. The problem is that I went right back to not being able to sleep, but over the last 6 months, the pain was keeping me from getting sleep anyway.

• Posted

Hi Oopster

sorry to hear bout your back & neck pain. Hope this settles down .

How long have you been off now & did Mirt work well for you when you were on it?

• Posted

Hi, i new at here

just first night today my without mirtazepine 15mg tablet..(after 3 months of usage) came to read as i feels quite unusual now,feels like heart slowed down, sweating,and stretching something in my head..kind of soon passing away.. then again everything perfect.

😃))) looks like i will had alot of fun after reading your stories

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.