Mirtazapine Facebook Group

Posted , 13 users are following.

Can someone who runs the nice Facebook mirt group please let me know what it is called. I used to be a member 2 years ago but left Facebook. I wanted to try and taper off mirr again after an unsuccessful try 2 years ago that triggered anxiety that Ive just come through but i want off this drug as its been almost 7 years i have taken it and its caused my health to deteriorate badly and my mental state. I know people may say but look how bad your anxiety went when you slowly tappered and yea that is true it got worse but i think that was purely withdrawal and that it was my underlying anxiety state coming through again because honestly my anxiety was never as bad as it has been these 2 years after i tried to withdraw and now i have depression too so i want off as it isn't helping wither condition.

I was on 15mg. i got down to 11.5 when the anixety hit hard with severe panic attacks that led to 12 months of horrendous anxiety and panic. That was all of 2018. I am now in a bit of a better place hut my anxiety has never gone down to where it was prior to withdrawal. but i no longer have 12 hour panic attacks, every single day like i had in 2018. Now it is more like general anxiety every day. Anyway, I want to try again even slower. I was withdrawing by 0.5mg every 2-3 weeks so i plan to go slower. I went back up to 13.7 by mid 2018 to see if it helped from the 11.5 I got down to, doing 0.25mg increases that year and i have stayed on that dose since.

I would love to join that group again if anyone can point me in their direction please.

Thank you

Julie

0 likes, 117 replies

117 Replies

Next
  • Posted

hi julie, if its the group i started i can help you, send you a message x

• Posted

Hi Tori. You have sent me several messages and I thank you. 6 weeks off MIRT and insomnia getting worse not better. Of course lack of sleep triggers insomnia. My doctors have tried everything, melatonin, phenergen, diazapam. Nothing helps except the sleeping pill ZOPICLONE?which I take occasionally to get some sleep. You have reassured me that the insomnia does eventually go. I'm finding it hard to have hope. I slept only 2 hours last night. You clearly have heard about many peopl's experience. Do you know of anyone who never got over the insomnia after quitting MIRT

• Posted

no, absolutely everyone recovers i promise, i have 3 times x

• Posted

Dear Toria Thanks for the reassurance. I have no life at the moment but you have given me hope. I will have to resort to sleeping pills sometimes- reluctantly but nothing else works and I cant' go witout sleep every night. I dont believe you took sleeping pills. Did you get zero sleep many nights like me. What did you do or take to get by. Many thanks again for your many responses.You are helping me in a very vad time

• Posted

i dont think everyone does. I have certainly suffered from insomnia while tapering down the dose and since quitting 6 weeks ago. IT doesnt seem to be improving but TORIA who knows a lot about the drug assures me that eventually I will recover.

• Posted

hi again, aw no worries, ive always suffered with bad sleep so ive been on zopiclone for many years, when i was in peak withdrawal from mirt even that didnt help me sleep so its very positive its helping you ❤️ i remember when i started getting better feeling my sleep getting longer and more restful it felt great, you will get there too x

• Posted

llorc.

I went 20 nights and days without sleep. zero. Thought i would never sleep again. Had to go to hospital to get myself in right direction. READ everything about all

these drugs.. Doctor wanted to put me on toxic Lithium and Imiprimine and i refused.

I studied all i could, even if not sleeping.. Then doctor prescribed Depakote and Trazadone.. had terrible side effects and i read about them at nurse's station... Then

prescribed Dalmane ( a great sleep drug for me ).. long half life, which is easier to ween off. Not easy, but easier than xanax, klonopin, ativan,.. and also was on Prozac.

Began to sleep. The key to this was me researching the drugs I,,, I wanted to take.. and

to become better, without severe side effects. Who knows where i would be today if

taking Lithium ?? It can be very toxic. So can tricyclic depressants.. So all those concerned... do your research... i did not when started on Xanax, and wish i would have never taken one pill.. never !!!...Xanax ruined my life for many years.

• Posted

I took immipramine for many years and my Shrink told me that immipramine can affect the heart.I had a dificult time gettingmy prescription at Walgreens fora while and had to go through withdrawls until he gave me 0.5 mg of zanax.This helped me get some sleep.I just worry about if I need to stop taking the zanax the withdrawls will be as bad as the immipramine.I did really well on the immipramine,Not worth any heart issues though.

• Posted

This is such a relief to know sleep does imrove after getting of Mirt.

• Posted

I was told by my current doctor that the brain heals over

time. I have a friend that is proof of that. He was on very

powerful psyche drugs for many, many, years... Now, he does not need

any of the drugs. It took many years. Have faith. Have faith.

• Posted

Bless him.So happy to hear he is doing well.I have come a long way from being on at least 4 or 5 different prescriptions.Now I am down to 2.....xx

• Posted

Julie.

Read about " Rebound ".. this is when the nervous system and brain

react in the opposite direction. Clearly, most all people experience REBOUND.

When you take pills to help anxiety and insomnia to calm you, and you

start reducing the pills, the brain becomes hyperactive. Creating anxiety,

because the brain wants to reach "homeostasis." A balance state...

Stay calm. Do yoga, and deep breathing. Taper slowly,, real slow -

most experts say to reduce by 10% each month or slower. Each reduction

amount is LESS, because 10% becomes less as you ween. Study the

concept of " rebound."Many doctors are not taught this. They are lost.

Read from Dr. P. Breggin. He is and expert in these medications.

You will be fine.. Have confidence.

Best to you --- love.

• Posted

Thank you so much. I really appreciate your reply.

I am currently on 13.7 my husband informs me as he has been filing each tablet for me so my plan is to first drop to 13.5 which i know is tiny but i think i need to go very slow to avoid what happened to me last time as that was the orst year of my life and it destroyed my relationships with my children as i was so u well with panic and anxiety i couldnt function. Thank goodness my husband and children supported me and loved me but i feared being so unwell that year i became unable to function and i became full of guilt. Theyre all teenagers and were great but it wasnt easy for any of us having me bed rideen with panic attacks and crippling fatigue every single day.

Fingers crossed for a better experience this time as i will be so cautious.

• Posted

Good luck.. Do not fear. Fear is the enemy. Be confident. Trust.

You will be fine. Do deep breathing exercises. Imagine the most beautiful

scenery you have ever witnessed. Do yoga. Pray. All these things help

with anxiety. Try to eat healthy and food that is calming. Be confident

in a VERY VERY SLOW taper. You may experience some " Rebound" but

it is the drug leaving your system, and not your thoughts. Your husband

is helping.. You are lucky to have a great person to support you.

Count your blessings. Everything will be fine.. oh, and NEVER, NEVER

feel guilty about anything. Each day we get another chance. You are

forgiven. You see ? YOU are good.

Love conquers.

• Posted

Thank you so much. You're so right.

What are good calming foods? Im very interested in diet to help.

My biggest fear is the panic attacks returning when i taper. Last time it was severe panic attacks that I experienced.

• Posted

julie.

i am not a nutrition expert. I do know that i had to quit coffee for many years.

I had drink less alcohol. I never, never was a big drinker. These days I rarely drink

alcohol. Sometimes one drink. I do know foods with Calcium and Magnesium are

supposed to be calming... I have read where Chamomille tea is calming.

Everyone is different. You might want to see a nutritional expert or a Naturopathic doctor. I saw a Naturopathic doctor several years ago, and he really helped me.

He said to: limit red meat. Eat fish and chicken.. occasional red meat. Limit dairy.

But i love milk and it has a lot of Calcium. And cheese. Those help me. Everyone is

different. I greatly reduced sugar. Difficult, very, very helpful. Water is the best.

He prescribed these natural things for ME: passion flower capsules., Tryptophan capsules. ( those really helped me sleep a slightly better ) , B vitamin complex, Valarium, kava. All helped some, along with a slightly better diet. Some say olive oil helps a little. . Maybe read books about nutrients that help calm, and self talk

is important. Remember, any anxiety will not kill you. Think POSITIVE thoughts.

Lastly, watching comedies on TV, and being around funny people have helped me.

Laughter is the greatest medicine. Remember, it may take 3-6-12 months for

a change in diet and habits to take affect. Be patient. Be courageous !

and Love.

stay in touch.

• Posted

Thank you.

I read an anti anxiety book years ago which had similar advice. Certain foods can really help. I eat fairly clean but I am trying to reduce any sugar in my diet and eliminate dairy but i agree that is hard lol.

Take care and thank you.

Julie

• Posted

I read many, many books. Some helped. My biggest problem by far was acute, serious insomnia caused initially by physical addiction to Xanax. Then, worse - doctor did not slowly off Xanax.

Had seizures. Almost died. Xanax is VERY addictive. Some people get addicted within 4 or 5 days !!! It is a horrible drug. Klonopin is also. Stevie Nicks got addicted to that drug, following a psychiatrist's prescription. It took away 8 years of her life. Benzos are extremely addictive. Especially, Xanax and Klonopin.

• Posted

Yes, i have heard theyre really difficult to get off. Ive never touched benzos, and never wouod, too scary.

• Posted

Good for you. Please spread the word about Benzodiazepines. Tell as many people as possible. Emerging, are websites that are spreading the truth about these drugs. Doctors and pharmaceutical companies have hidden the truth. for decades.

truthfully,

yours

• Posted

HI SKIATRYL, could you reveal What dose of xanax were you on and for how long. Were you taking it for insomnia or for anxiety.

• Posted

llorc.

Took Xanax according to doctor's orders.. ..for both panic / anxiety, and to

sleep.

I think 0.25 , 3 times a day.. After, 10-12 days was physically addicted..

Had REBOUND anxiety and insomnia worse,,, WORSE than original problems.

Did sleep some one or two nights after ween... then REBOUND insomnia.

Rebound.. sleepless. Went to new doctors, kept prescribing more and more

Xanax... became horribly physically addicted... after 2-3 months.. never was

the same.. Incredibly horrible insomnia.. beyond comprehension... then

bad shrink did not taper me off of Xanax... had seizures !!!!! ... Xanax is very

addicting, because of short half life... maybe the most addictive drug on the

planet.... A person must must must taper very very very slow off this drug.

The drug should be banned... Taper slowly off.. expect REBOUND.

• Posted

I am on o.05 mg of Zanax... Lately I havent been taking it at all.I was on 0.25 mg which is like a fourth of a whole Zanax.I just dont want to be addicted to this drug.My angziety is getting better than it was 20yrs ago.... I took the Zanax at night and now I am on Remeron I dont need for sleep.

• Posted

What a terrible time you must have had when your doctor didnt taper you off slowly.I cant imagine the withdrawls you felt.

• Posted

Joan.

Thanks.. i am very lucky to be alive. After 25 years of really suffering Neurologically from complication with Xanax. 0.05 is a small dose. I think you will be fine. There are

ways to taper by using an art knife... an Exacto knife. I do that with the Klonopin now.

I have very, very, very little anxiety,,, ( about "2" on a 100 scale ). My biggest problem is

insomnia, which is slowly, slowly getting better. I went beyond hell, neurologically.

Good luck to you. If you ever decide to not take any medicine,, TAPER VERY SLOW..

Some books say 10% each month or slower... I wish i would have known that and seen

a doctor that knew that. Doctors need to become much better educated concerning

these life altering drugs.

love

spread love because the doctors aren't

• Posted

I am reducing by 1.5% every month. Maybe too slow but 2 years ago i did a 2.5% and panic attacks and racing thoughts started so i stopped reducing and slowly went back up. I had a horrific 2018 as a result of that slow taper with chronic panic every sungle day and i became bed ridden so i am going even slower this time.

• Posted

J. -- good you are tapering slowly. Remember, each taper amount becomes less %,

because each remaining amount is less. Calculate and cut pills accordingly. Be as precise as possible.. and do not worry. You are doing it right. Never go backward, and

increase dose. If concerned, remain at same dose for a period of time to let brain and

body adjust. ( i am tapering off Klonopin and was on 0.60 for about 3 months ).. just now i feel okay to taper to about 0.55... YOU are tapering properly.. GREAT !

• Posted

Such a great message to never feel guilty about anything.My problem most of the time.I think it goes back to childhood.... This will be on my mirror to not feel guilty.Thank you.

• Posted

I have started watching the old shows like "Andy Griffin" lots of the comedy shows.I use to watch all the Dateline and 48rhs,I found they were just not entertainment anymore.

• Posted

Dateline and 48 hours are okay, because they are based on real events,

even though they are very, very dark, and can be depressing. Like much of the news.

Comedies really help me to relax. Even if they are silly. The more silly, the better.

My best friends usually make me laugh and that helps. Have you ever

watched the film " Patch Adams" ? .. it is a true story. Humor is the greatest

medicine. Far better than anything, any doctor has prescribed.. Doctors are

not taught this in universities... They need to learn.

• Posted

intresting thought the Rebound! i was succsefully withdrawimg from Cit but hit a place after cold turkey on 2.5mg reninstated at 5mg but long story short dropped from 10mg to 5mg as the drug was making me

worse. got cortisal akathesia 3 days later so jumped on dizapam on and off for a while 1/2 pills to sleep for a week and havent slept properly since

• Posted

HI SYKIATRIL I am in despair. IM STILL NOT SLEEPING. I ONLY TOOK MIIRTAZAPINE FOR 13 WEEKS INCLUDING 4 tapering off. THE INSOMNIA STARTED WHEN IWAS ON 30mg of the drug for only 7 weeks So now I HAVNT SLEPT PROPERELY IN 3 months. WILL THIS INSOMNIA EVER END

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.