Mirtazapine for 6months, think it's making me feel depressed!

Posted , 9 users are following.

I've been on mirtazapine for about 6months now. 3months at 30mg and 3months at 45mg. I was put on it due to generalised anxiety and mild depression from a build up of stresses in my life. It hasn't been plain sailing and to be honest the only thing mirtazapine has done is help me sleep. My anxiety is much reduced compared to before I went on, but I genuinely feel like I'm only as good as I am because I've done it myself with life changes etc. I've just gone back to work and it's really good for me socially. 6months into mirtazapine and I'm starting to become upset by the constant feeling of numbness, miserable mood, irritability, and the weight gain is starting to make me miserable. I can deal with a bit of weight, as i was skinny anyway, but like all my work clothes I purchased a month ago are all now too small. It's becoming upsetting and I can feel the anxiety creeping back in. I feel like the fact the mirtazapine is making me feel miserable and low, is setting off my anxiety again, and I am wondering if anyone else has in fact felt better after stopping mirtazapine? I have a docs appointment to discuss coming off in a few weeks. 

0 likes, 33 replies

33 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi there,

I weaned myself off Mirt a few weeks ago, I had a few side effects while doing it but nothing excessive and didnt panic about it, however, I feel lots better now Im off them, clear headed, my emotions are how they should be and lots of energy again. I read up on depression and anxiety in a book called The Vitamin Bible and it suggests that B complex and Vitamin C enable us to fight depression. Im now taking both and 5HTP too (I swear by it) Take a look at this book as it may be very informative for you, it certainly was for me. Good luck smile

• Posted

hello zoobyzoo. ive heard of 5HTP could u explain what this is and were i can buy it please. ive also come off mirtz and amazing in the drifference i feel 
    • Posted

Hi Julie,

Its linked to Seratonin and although our bodies make it we sometimes need to top up our levels with a supplement. I used to get it years ago from Holland and Barrett, however, when I went back recently to get it the price was very expensive so I went on to Just Vitamins online and got it for less than half the price of H&B.

• Posted

hi zoobyzoo,  thanks for your reply :-) ill take a look at the site cheers x
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply smile can I ask how you tapered down? I went docs this morning and he's given me the go ahead to come off them but was really vague and unhelpful and didn't give me a time scale. He presribed me some 30mg tablets and told me to go down to them and then half again. I don't want to go too quickly as I'm on 45mg but equally...I want off of these horrible tablets rolleyes 
    • Posted

I was only on 15mg but I tapered off over a period of 3 weeks, it depends how you feel really. I think I would stay on the 30 for a week and then half it and stay on the half for a week and do the same with the final half, does that make sense ?

My weight went up from a size 8 to a 12 in 6 months from an increased appetite but also from feeling lethargic all of the time and not wanting to do anything. Did you know Drs prescribe Mirt to people who are underweight and need to gain some pounds ? Anyway, Im now full of energy again and can get back to healthy eating and lots of excercise so should be back to my normal weight before too long cheesygrin

• Posted

I'm the same! I was a size 8 weighing about 8stone 9(ish) and I, now 10st1 and verging on a size 12 for trousers. I just got a new job and trousers I purchased 4weeks ago, are now too small.  Did you have any trouble with your anxiety or depression being a bit dodgey when tapering? I think I, going to start my 30mg dose tonight, stay on that for 2weeks, and en taper down to 15mg, stay on that for a week or 2 and then down to 7.5mg xx
    • Posted

I must admit, I felt a little dodgy while tapering but I kept my wits about me and kept telling myself that it wasnt going to last and I would be through it in no time. I had a bit of chest pain and I felt a bit panicky but I got on with it and now Im fine..whoop ! Just take your time in coming off and all will be good.

I too am starting a new job soon and I assure you I am NOT starting it in a size 12 uniform !!

• Posted

Hi I struggled for many years with depression, always reluctant to seek help.

Mirtazipine is the best thing that ever happened to me.

At 15 mg/day dosage I feel it literally blocks out all the negative feelings.

This leaves the positive emotions alone and subsequently I feel rather elated.

Sure I feel like eating an entire jar of chocolate spread and a bucket of sweets most evenings.

BUT I JUST SAY NO TO JUNK FOOD :-)

You can say no to your cravings too......

IMHO recovery from depression is only 20% meds. The other 80% is lifestyle changes and therapy, whatever form that takes.

Many who recovered succesfully from depression will tell you that listening to music played a vital part....

Hope this is helpful....and all the best in breaking the circle of negatives.

• Posted

agree! u have to work with ADs but u need the energy to do so! great points rikkiduino! i found with mirtz it wasnt only blocking my motivation but my emotions..glad they work for you! 
    • Posted

For me, mirtazapine has done nothing but make me fat, despite exercise and healthy eating. I could eat and eat before mirtazapine and still not gain weight.

It has blocked all my happy emotions and everything feels blunted and flat. This makes me feel uncomfortable and then anxious as a result. I have no doubt that mirtazapine does wonders for some, its a shame there's not a one medication fits all solution! 

• Posted

I too went to doctors hoping for a plan to come off and was told "oh just try one day without and see how you get in" genius.

I just lack motivation and no joy in anything. Could be depression or tablets, gut feeling is 70/30 tablets. They only seem good fir sleep, as I go to bed at 10, could get up at mid day, and still feel knackered enough to go to bed at ten!

• Posted

hi mark01943,

i can relate to everything u have said . i got off them 2 weeks ago! best thing ive done! i know some people swear by them but noo noo i have so much more engry i have been doing all the things i wanted to do but never had the motivation to do them, which made me more depressed! good luck 

• Posted

I kept with the mirtazapine for a long time thinking the way I was feeling was just the illness itself, but 6months into mirtazapine and the feeling of something pushing my mood down is becoming all too noticeable. I don't feel content, just zombie....getting on with everything but not enjoying anything. I don't rely on the tablets too much for sleep, but hoping I won't struggle when I stop as that gets me in a right pickle when I can't sleep.
  • Posted

Agree Julie, got no energy, and I very sporty person. Going to come off my15mg next week, and hope that within 10 days I will start to feel like I have more zip in me, as I have a cycle event coming up in 2 weeks and hope feel I have more energy by then.

Not really sure if should wait till after event to stop taking mirtazapine? One of reason given these was I struggled getting to sleep, in that respect they have helped, so bit worried bout me slipping back 're lack of sleep, as , same as Rachael says , I am not at my best shall we sat without decent sleep

• Posted

hi mark, try to snap the 15mg for a week 1st..if u put a tablet in water they desolve..try that mark 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.