Mirtazapine ? I am scared

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hello everyone , I just came from the dr yesterday and she perscribed me Mirtazapine for GAD ( Anxiety disorder ) They gave me only 15mg. I really do not want to take prescription drugs. I would like to try something natural if I can. I am supposed to go back in 4 weeks and give dr an update.

I am not sure if I want to take this pill tonight. Today I got 0 done I am so sleepy and drowsy I feel like a zombie. I also wanted to know should I at least try it for the 4-6 weeks suggested ( to take effect in the body ) then tell dr I would like to try something else natural ? I really do not want my body getting addicted to this and needing to taper off because of withdrawls.

I was also given buspirone

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi kerry .. surely there's another drug your Dr can prescribe rather than this .. I think if your on it for 4-6wks you may go through withdrawals .
  • Posted

Hi.  I have been on Mirtazapine for about 6 weeks now.  I started off at 15mg, I think that it the starting dose. It knocked me out after about half an hour. Could hardly get out of bed the next day. I was like this for about a fortnight.  Had my review,  and I was told I could take 30mg,  which I was a bit wary about taking,  so I tried 22.5mg which didn't seem to do much for me apart from still making me feel tired, and then I tried 30mg which I can't tolerate.  All I wanted to do was sleep.

Today I  have been thinking about alternative medicine,  as I have tried a few meds and can't hack the side effects.  I'm looking at reviews for St John's Wort. But have heard that the doctor will probably tell you to stay away from it. Don't know why, and It's not on presctiption with our doctor.  I will call them tomorrow and see what they say about it.   The drowsiness will wear off with you.  Probably worth giving it a try.  But if it doesn't agree with you,  let your GP know.

• Posted

I agree sounds like the same route I was put on.  So now I am weaning myself off and going more natural.  Check out the Passion Flower if you have anxiety or trouble sleeping.  The one I was put on is called Pascoflair.  Good luck in your quest smile 
    • Posted

I spoke to my GP today and she said don't even go there with St John's Wort.  Explaining something about sereton.  I had a feeling she wouldn't recommend it.  I need to research into it a bit more.  She put me upto 30mg of Mirt.  Going to see how that goes in the next few days.
  • Posted

Inositol (vitamin 8) is supposed to be good for anxiety. You need to buy the powder, not the capsules as you have to take 12 - 18 grams a day for it to be theraputic. I would not take mirtazapine if you don't want any drugs as it is a very strong anti depressant. It worked well for me for a few years but if you don't want drugs, don't take them.
    • Posted

Hey Eevergreen I still cannot take that Inositol.  I went as low as a quarter teaspoon but you won't know unless you try and I did smile  and thanks for the suggestion/  You know I found today that Dr, Bach Rescue Pastilles work to releive the lump I get in my chest.  I told my Natural Path doctor and she said they would not interfere with my meds and also recommended the melts for the evening as well.  Gonna try them tonight.  I have heard on here that they help with sleep.
  • Posted

I do know the drowsiness goes away once your body adjusts to it. Mine went away within 2 weeks. My experience with it made my anxiety worse at first but everyone is different. Buspirone is good for anxiety.
  • Posted

Hi Kerry - I understand your hestation I was the same.  I am more of a natural path person and had a bout of vertigo, which is gone now,  which brought with it extreme anxiety and all that they have been pushing on me are AD and benzo.  I had reaction to all except the Remeron.  So I decided to try it it does help with sleep but I am not depressed only have GAD like you.  I also take Clonazepam for the anxiety.  I started at 15mg, then they upped to 22.5mg and then 30mg and still no relief from the anxiety.  I have been on it for about 2.5 months.  I have tapered myself from 30mg to 22.5mg and today will lower to 15mg until I am off.  I am seeing a Natural Path doctor and she is using Passion Flower which is a natural benzo that helps with anxiety so should help get me off the benzo as well and will all be natural.  The choice is always your own and all we here on this site is to offer our support and our exerpiences.  We cannot say yes or no. Some people have had success and others not such as myself.  Why not see a Natrual Path doctor for a 2nd opinion before you start.  Keep us updated and good luck in whatever your decision will be. 
  • Posted

I don't have much else to add to what other people have said. But I do think you need to bear in mind that those who post on this site are more likely to be people who have had problems with the drug. Those for whom mirtazapine has been successful are not needing advice. Also, try to remember that worrying about the drug is not good for your anxiety levels.
  • Posted

Hi there,

I've been on Mirtazapine for just under 5 and a half years now. 15mg is a normal starting dose - you can go as high as 45mg a day.

The side effects do wear off pretty quickly. It's one of the most effective drugs I've tried. I take it in combination with a couple of others and although it still makes me drowsy, I kind of welcome that because it helps me to get some sleep even when my brain won't shut off.

You won't get addicted to it. It doesn't build up tolerance or dependence. It works in a different way to a lot of other, more commonly prescribed anti-d's.

The tapering off is not for horrific withdrawal effects such as people get from opioid painkillers etc, it's just that removing the help you get from the drugs in one go might send you really low - especially if the problem is there still. The tapering is just to make sure that you (and the doctor) have treated the cause, and not just the symptom.

• Posted

Hi CakeB.

What dosage are you on?

• Posted

I have 45mg Mirtazapine, 225mg Venlafaxine and 120mg Propranolol at the moment.
    • Posted

Hi CB

I agree that Mirtazapine can be extremely helpful for anyone with Insomnia/Anxiety/Depression, although worth a mention here that it can "poop out" causing very uncomfortable symptoms in time.

However, there are several people on this forum, myself included, who have been here for a long time trying to help people who are struggling to come off this AD.  It seems doctors (and even some psychiatrists) are telling patients they can stop taking Mirt' in a couple of weeks, or swap to another AD - now for 99% of people this is not the case.  It can lead to them suffering more than before they went on any drugs.

Stopping too quickly can cause severe withdrawal, disabling dizziness, nausea, sweating, electric shock-like "zaps" in the brain, anxiety, crying spells, agitation and worst of all insomnia.  So yes it can and does cause dependence or addiction.  

A significant number of patients on this forum have tried to wd and have had to go back on them, even putting their dose up, or tapering more slowly to obtain relief drom debilitating withdrawal.  So therefore patients are dependent or addicted, to AD's, for as long as it takes to wean off them.

The lucky one's are those who manage to have an informed choice of how to taper from this drug.  It is recommended to taper no more than 10% every 3 or 4 weeks, or 5% every 2 weeks which is kinder to your system/brain for rewiring.  

Sorry to be so strong, but please be aware of the difficulties of AD's, this isn't just Mirt, Mirt is one of the worst though.

Wishing you well smile

• Posted

That's not dependence. Having studied these drugs in detail for many years, I can tell you what dependence is. It's when the body needs it just to feel normal. Rebound withdrawal symptoms is what you've described there which are a whole different matter. Different cause. Please check your facts before you go telling people these things.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.