Mirtazapine inconsistent?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi i was just wondering if anyone else has had an inconsistent response to mirtazapine. I have been taking 15mg for 4 weeks and sometimes i sleep ok and other times i lay awake for an hour or two and when i eventually get to sleep it is very restless and i feel shattered when i wake up. My mood hasn't really changed that much except for the odd day here and there and i feel very lethargic and unmotivated most of the time. I'm a bit confused really, are things likely to improve or is this possibly as good as it gets? Has anyone noticed good improvement after a very inconsistent start? Thanks in advance if anyone has any input on this.

0 likes, 60 replies

60 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Zac, I've been taking Mirtz for 6 weeks, started on 15mg and got upped to 30mg for a week and It makes me feel so tired and generally unwell, can't handle the sedation that lasts into the next day and I can't get out of bed in the morning. the higher the dose got the worst I felt, it's meant to be less sedative the higher the dose but it was the complete opposite for me. I'm currently tapering off it and will be starting another AD in a few weeks. I feel slightly better now I've dropped the dose again back down to 15mg, it did lift my mood a bit but nowhere near where it should be, so I haven't responded well to mirtz at all and can't cope with the lethargic and tired feeling from this med. It has a high action on the histamine receptors hence the sedation/groggy/lethargic side effects. 
    • Posted

Thanks for the reply Liam, it is so frustrating knowing whether to give it more time when you feel that it isn't working. I also notice an increase in my temper, i am way more irritable and angry since starting mirtz too.I hope that your taper off goes ok.
    • Posted

Mirtz is meant to have a higher onset of action when compared to other AD's, I think I have given it a fair trial at just over 6 weeks now with no significant improvements in my mood. I've heard a lot of people become more angry whilst taking mirtz but is hasn't affected me like that thankfully! So frustrating I now have to start on another AD soon and wait to see if it'll work. But glad to be coming of mirtz, maybe you should give it another few weeks? Or if I were you speak to your Dr and ask if you can try something else. 
    • Posted

I feel i  may give it  another 2 weeks,  i suspect the gp will say give it more time or up the dose and i'm not sure i want to up it. I've been convincing myself to keep going for this long and today is awful.
    • Posted

I know we all different but the increase to 30mg dose really didn't suit me at all, I felt 10 times worse, sickness, dizzy, doubly tired and no motivation I was in total despair. I went back to the Dr's and they told me it was odd I felt worse/more tired on the 30mg so they said to taper off to 15mg and then to 7.5mg next week and then we'll change to a different AD. It's hard knowing what to do isn't it! Best of luck, keep us all informed Zac smile
    • Posted

liam u are doing all the right things just think one week to go! ;-)
  • Posted

hi i felt worse on mirtz ive come off mirtz now and have more engry hope that helps
    • Posted

How long did it take to get off? Really want to get off myself
    • Posted

hi i tapered down from 30mg to 20mg in a week then 15mg then given sirltine to help with the side effects! been 3 weeks now since ive had a mirtz.. still get days were i feel like im coming down with the flu but been using a hay fever tablet to ease that and works :-)
    • Posted

Thanks Julie.  How long were you on it?  I have cough at the moment.  It is easy to blame everything on mirt.
    • Posted

yes it is! your cough is probley nothing to do with mirtz! but i do blame mirtz for alot of things! i was mirtz for 18months 
    • Posted

yes wasnt easy few vivid dreams and alot of relaxation if i can do it anyone can
    • Posted

Did you ever feel ok on mirtz seeing as you were on it for 18 months? I feel lethargic,irritable and also feel as though i can't think sraight...very weird and don't sleep well on it more than not.
    • Posted

only good side of mirtz for me was sleeping everything else no not for me! i couldnt function right on mirtz allways felt groggy on it hun

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.