Mirtazapine inconsistent?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi i was just wondering if anyone else has had an inconsistent response to mirtazapine. I have been taking 15mg for 4 weeks and sometimes i sleep ok and other times i lay awake for an hour or two and when i eventually get to sleep it is very restless and i feel shattered when i wake up. My mood hasn't really changed that much except for the odd day here and there and i feel very lethargic and unmotivated most of the time. I'm a bit confused really, are things likely to improve or is this possibly as good as it gets? Has anyone noticed good improvement after a very inconsistent start? Thanks in advance if anyone has any input on this.

0 likes, 60 replies

60 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

hi everyone, well i   had another bad night again... wide awake untill 3am. I am getting more bad nights than good. If this drug doesnt help with sleep after a month is it likely that it wont? I have read so much about how mirtz helps people with sleep!..not me. Has anyone had very poor sleep on mirtz that then improved after 5 or 6 weeks? My sleep is worse now than before.
    • Posted

It sounds like it isn't working for you.  I'm on mirt and olanzapine for sleep so I don't really know what one is helping.  Mirt is meant to work quicker than most AD's. I would go back to your doctor. You can't function properly on just a little sleep. 
  • Posted

thanks for the reply kat, i saw the doctor last week at 3 weeks and he told me to stick with it for 2 months and that the sleep may improve as the depression improves, i'm not convinced though, other people on mirtz seem to be getting good sleep benefits from the begining of treatment.... feel frustrated.
    • Posted

Of course it's frustrating getting little sleep. Has it helped with your depression? Mirt is meant to help with appetite as well but I've still not got that back yet! Everyone is different on how they react. 
    • Posted

Morning Zac, Mirtz should be helping you to sleep and if it isn't working now then I don't think it will ever! It does help me to get to sleep and did from the first dose, i get around 6-7hours sleep but the last few hours are more broken. You really need to go back to the Dr's and tell them it just isn't working for you. 
    • Posted

Hi Liam, how are you feeling now on the lower dose? 
    • Posted

Hey Kat, feeling not too bad today just a little bit tired this morning from the Mirtz but nowhere near as bad as it was! Still going in the right direction, also the high anxiety brought on by the 30mg Mirtz is subsiding slowly. I don't feel great by any means but a lot better smile 
    • Posted

Its crazy the doctors give you 15mg, you feel groggy and zombie like tell them, so they put you upto 30mg.  Then you get anxiety like you never before and they give you propanolol for the anxiety. If your still not right you go upto 45mg.  If thats not right for you they put you on gabbapentin.  This I have seen time and time again from people on these forums and people in real life - please it is your life, OWN IT if you think something doesnt add up or side affects arent worth it then do something about it.
    • Posted

Glad your feeling better. Your going in the right direction.
    • Posted

I have just got back from the doctors and as i expected the advice was to up the dose to 30mg to see if that helps, she said it was up to me to decide. Like you said i can't see how it will help me sleep at 30mg if it doesn't help at 15mg. It hasn't helped with the depression either. When i first started it a month ago i slept well for 3 nights and since then it is hit and miss with more bad nights. I just can't understand why it is so inconsistent. I don't feel groggy, just very tired and lacking in motivation. Are you coming off mirtz Liam?
    • Posted

My Dr told me upping to 30mg should make me feel less sedated through the day, my sleep was sleep was broken on the 30mg and I felt 10x worse and more sedated during the day zero motivation. I also felt sick and anxious with suicidal thoughts coming back. I'm coming off Mirtz yes, I'm back down to 15mg and will  reduce next week to 7.5mg - half a pill then I'll be going onto something else most likely venlafaxine and I know it works as I've had it in the past 8 years ago. Are you going up to 30mg tonight? Be careful as it might make your current side effects worse like it did with me, but there is a chance you will be ok on 30mg as we are all different - It could be the dose you need but you won't know how you will react unless you try it!

Good luck and let me know how you get on, I could only tolerate the 30mg for 6 nights as each day seemed to get worse on it. 

• Posted

That second line should say - my sleep was more broken on the 30mg!! smile
  • Posted

thanks again Liam, i'm not sure what i am going to do yet, i'm confused as i don't feel 30mg will help me sleep when 15mg wont. I can't find any info regarding it helping people sleep better at higher doses infact i have read that the opposite is true.
    • Posted

For some it's less sedating at higher doses and for others it's more sedating at higher doses like what happened with me! you won't know unless you try it, you only have to try 30mg once and if you don't like it come back down to 15mg?
    • Posted

Hi Zac, how have you been? Did you up your dose? I've decided now to cut my 30mg in half from tonight. All I can say is that I can't feel any worse than I do regarding the depression. 
    • Posted

Good luck Kat! hopefully things should improve as you lower the dose. 
    • Posted

Thanks Liam. I need all the help I can get. 
    • Posted

hi kat if u need any help im here also..
    • Posted

Thanks so much julie. I cut down to 15mg last night but my anxiety has been awful today. Perhaps back up to 30 again tonight? I don't know what to do. 
    • Posted

did u sleep ok last night? or are u anxious because u dont know whats coming next when coming off mirtz
    • Posted

I slept ok but I always wake up anxious. I know thats the depression but I've just got worse throughout the day. Just can't relax. 
    • Posted

that could be because uve tapered down! i was like that when i first dropped the dose
    • Posted

How long did it last for. I couldn't cope with it this morning so I took the other 15 this morning. I just don't know what to do for the best. We're you just on mirt? I'm also on venlafaxine and olanzapine.  
    • Posted

Can you pm me. I can talk to you better then. Tks.
    • Posted

a couple of days! yes just mirtz i was on 30mg i droped to 15mg in a week. i took 20mg for 4 nights then dropped to 15mg . i am now on sertline which helped with the side effects of coming off mirtz i stopped mirtz completley then went on to sertline was a tough few days but i used relaxation music to keep me calm 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.