Mirtazapine inconsistent?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi i was just wondering if anyone else has had an inconsistent response to mirtazapine. I have been taking 15mg for 4 weeks and sometimes i sleep ok and other times i lay awake for an hour or two and when i eventually get to sleep it is very restless and i feel shattered when i wake up. My mood hasn't really changed that much except for the odd day here and there and i feel very lethargic and unmotivated most of the time. I'm a bit confused really, are things likely to improve or is this possibly as good as it gets? Has anyone noticed good improvement after a very inconsistent start? Thanks in advance if anyone has any input on this.

0 likes, 60 replies

60 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Been on mirt now for 6 months,starting at 15mg increasing to 45mg and now reducing to 30mg.The first 2 weeks were great anxiety lifted and sleeplessness got a lot better but now once again the anxiety is creaping back and not sleeping well. Every time i visit the doctors he increases the dosage instead of finding a root to the trouble. Was on this medication 20 years ago and the anxiety  went within 6 months that is why i am sticking with mirts but i dont think its working this time. 
    • Posted

As said on here mirt does seem very inconsistent.  Works sometimes and then seems to stop. I've been up to 45 which didn't seem to do much. Back down to 30mg. 
  • Posted

Hi zac, i have been on Mirtazapine for 6 months now and have to agree with most that the results vary from person to person. I personally have found it to be not much help myself. I began on the 15mg and i am now on 45mg to treat depression after a real dip in mood over the Xmas period. My experience with this a.d is that it has hindered my sleep from time to time, with some weeks of having 2-3 nights of no sleep at all. Initially i was prescribed zopiclone to help with this which seemed to work ok most nights, but i have since come off them as my sleep pattern seemed to rectify itself. This week however, i am spending my second night in the constraints of insomnia. In regards to my mood whilst taking it, i can't say that i have had a day where i have felt normal again to be honest, with the occasional days where something as silly as a soap on tv can make me teary. General motivation hasn't improved and the lethargic feeling is still there throughout the days. I have spoken to my gp about changing my tabs, but he advised that it wouldn't be worth it due to the weaning off period and my forthcoming psychological treatment coming up. All in all, from my personal opinion, i couldn't recommend them, but then you do hear of success stories from others so i guess it is down to how they make you feel in yourself. Good luck with your treatment bud smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.