Mirtazapine issues

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi,

New to the forum so bare with me. Have been being treated for depression for the last 9 months. Still no closer to feeling like my old self, but that's due to a combination of the depression and the constant pain I feel from a herniated L5/S1 disc.

Currently I'm taking 20mg Citalopram, 3600mg Gabapentin, 1000mg Naproxen, 40mg Esomeprozole, 50mg Amitriptyline and the odd Tamazapam at night. My Dr now wants to add 15mg of Mirtazapine into the concoction of medication, but I know very little about it. Having read through some of the other posts on the forum I can see people have mentioned the fact that it makes you very groggy, which really isn't helpful as I already struggle to wake up in the mornings and am consistently late for work, which of course is adding more stress as I'm close to being taken to a disciplinary hearing. My Dr advised me that it would help with my difficulty in getting to sleep and not waking up during the night, but it seems it's just going to add to my issues with waking up.

I've kind of hit a point now where I really don't know what to do, and it just feels like i'm being bombarded with medication until something works. Any advice would be greatly appreciated

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

hi i was on mirtz for 18months never had any motivation read up on mirtz and decide for your self i wouldnt recommend mirtz but have heard its helped others but not many.. goodluck
  • Posted

Hi Pedro, i'm on venlafaxine,  olanzapine and mirtazapine. I feel the mirtazapine helps me get to sleep no problem but it hasn't helped with the depression.  I've come down from 45 to 30mg mirt. I wake up ok but still feel a bit tired. But you are on a lot of medication. How come your on so much? I've always only taken one anti depressant but being on more than one hasn't helped me. 
    • Posted

Hi Kat, thanks for the reply. I'm just worried it could add to the grogginess every morning.

I've kind of just built up a collection of medications that actually allow me to get out of bed in the morning, as the gabapentin, amitriptyline and Naproxen help to mask some of my pain. Currently waiting to be referred to a pain clinic to see what they can do, but I can live with the back pain. It's the feeling of total loss from the depression i'm really struggling with. Hate going out in public, constantly have dark thoughts and haven't found anything that has helped in the slightest yet.

• Posted

I've been on mirtz for 6 weeks, it has made me feel awful leaving me feeling groggy and foggy headed all day with no motivation - really difficult getting up in the morning. It has helped to some extent with my depression but I'm coming off it becasue of the side effects 
  • Posted

You can only try it out. It might work for you. Everyone is different to how they will react .Well done for actually working while your so low. 
  • Posted

Iv been on mirt for 13 weeks at 45 mg I'm also on trazadone 300 mg.sleep and depression see to go together for me.my mood lifted quite quickly with the mirt.when I first started taking these medications it was a joy to go to bed I fell asleep instantly.now it can sometimes take me 2 hours even though I feel exhausted.i don't feel groggy or sedated in the morning it's actually my best time of day.some days I have no motivation but I don't really think you can put that down to the drug it's part of depression.i would say it has helped me and iv been on numerous antidepressants it might be worth giving it a try it might help.
  • Posted

You may be one of the people who responds well to mirtazapine but you won't know unless you try it. I wish i'd researched it more before starting to take it and i would have thought twice, But we are all different with meds and how they react with us. 
  • Posted

Thanks for your replies guys. I think I'm just going to have to give it a go and see what happens. Hopefully it will actually allow me to have a full night's sleep for the first time in 6 months, and I'm pretty sure I couldn't feel any worse than I already do

• Posted

I'm also on olanzapine for sleep and appetite. So I don't know whether it's the mirt or olanzapine that really helps me sleep! 
    • Posted

Yes the Mirtz does help you get off to sleep pretty well due it's action on histamine receptors this also explains the sedated groggy feeling the next day but not everyone gets that. You may have some very vivid dreams as well, I did at first but they got less over time. 
    • Posted

That doesn't sound great rolleyes already suffer from night terrors... not sure I like the sound of making them more vivid.

• Posted

I had vivid dreams at first but I don't get them so much now. 
    • Posted

hi pedro9007,

the vivid dreams dont last long! sometimes the dreams can be so intresting :-)

• Posted

hi ive also been off work for over a year and hoping to go back soon! your doing well pedro but make sure u rest also..liam ur time will come..hang in there..julie
  • Posted

Hi there. I have taken Mirtazapine for eight and a half years - it was prescribed by a psychatrist. Personally, I would ask your GP to consider prescribing something different. My personal experience includes major sleep disturbance in clinical depression and whilst this drug helps with that, it does leave you feeling very foggy in thought and I have experienced weight gain on this tablet. My time again - I would be asking for a different drug. Hope this helps. Good Luck. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.