Mirtazapine low dose for lifetime

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi All

I had the sinus surgery and I was suffering from head pressure for 4 years. It started affecting my sleep and my doctor prescribed me antidepressants. I started feeling well. I tapered the medicines and could not sleep for a month. As a result, I went back on antidepressants escitalopram (10 mg), klonopin (0.5mg) and mirtazapine (7.5 mg) in may 2015. Last year I tapered off escitalopram and klonopin completely. This year I reduced the mirtazapine dosage from 7.5 to 3.75 mg and life has been hell since then. My doctor advised me to take 11.25 mg for a while but it isn't helping either. My head pressure has returned. I can't sleep for more than 4 hours. Can't concentrate on my work. It has already been 2 months I didn't sleep properly. Decreased amount of sleep is causing anxiety and I m unable to enjoy my life.

I want to start taking another drugs along with mirtazapine and taper them out. Then I want to continue on 7.5mg mirtazapine for rest of my life. I m just 26. What do you guys think?

1 like, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

So you have withdrawn from mirt before and this did not happen you just could not sleep ?

Not sure if I read it right ?

• Posted

I started taking AD pills in 2012 and Mirtazapine was not there. I stopped taking them in 2015 and coudn't sleep for a month. Then I started taking Mirth and other AD from may 2015. I started doing really great in my life and successfully tapered other AD medications except Mirt. This year I decided to taper Mirt.One week after I reduced the Mirtazapine dosage from 7.5 to 3.75 mg I couldn't sleep the whole night. Then I was unable to function properly in the office which further incresed my anxiety. It has been 2 months now and I haven't slept properly. I was the brightest performer in office but now I am unable to do even basic things in the office. Don't know how long I am gonna live this hopeless life. 

• Posted

Why are you tapering the mirt if it's helping you?  It's causes unsatiable hunger and water retention in me, but I'm willing to deal with that because it's helping me along with other AD.

• Posted

I forgot to mention that after a sleepless night my doctor increased my dose from 3.75 mg to 11.25 mg but that's not helping either.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.