Mirtazapine making me worse

Posted , 11 users are following.

Been on mirtazapine 7.5 mg for 2 weeks. My depression and anxiety feel like there getting worse not better. Is this normal

0 likes, 50 replies

50 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I've been on 15mg for 5 nights and feel worse and still can't sleep which was the main reason I was switched onto mirtazapine! Managed to fall asleep watching a film last night but woke 45 minutes later so went to bed then couldn't sleep again. Since being on them I've had stomach cramps and can't keep any food down. I have a lactose intolerance but usually am ok with medications with lactose in which I know mirtazapine has and doctor said rather than being unable to tolerate the pills it might the problem might be that my stomach is reacting to all the different meds I've been on following surgery. Has anyone else experienced these problems with mirtazapine?
    • Posted

Not the stomach problem but the sleep
    • Posted

For me the lack of sleep feels like it's making mexcuses worse. I go back to work on Monday so really had hoped for at least 1 nights sleep.

Hope the meds kick in for you soon x

• Posted

I really hope u get some sleep. Don't watch TV or get on computer an hour before u go to bed. Drink a little milk. Then see how you do
    • Posted

Forget the milk. Sorry
    • Posted

Don't talk to me about lack of sleep Jesus mirt doesn't help with that anymore last night was awful for me even nightmares hardly slept a wink I'll be hitting the sack real soon I think we need to look into remedies to help sleep!fingers crossed for a better nghts sleep I seriously cant function without a full 11 hours sleep no lie
    • Posted

I drink a herbal calming tea before bed been drinking for years and never really had a problem with sleep but nothing seems to be helping.
    • Posted

Hope you get a good night. My husband had chemotherapy today and seems to be suffering with sickness tonight so I'm preparing for another bad night 😕
    • Posted

How did you sleep last night and how did you do going back to work. Hope you had a good day.
    • Posted

Hi still haven't slept properly and I'm up again tonight. Went to bed at 11 slept 30 mins before waking. Fell asleep again for just over an hour and how been awake for an hour.

Managed OK working but my mind did wonder but it did feel good to actually do something.

• Posted

We're you on any other meds before mirt? I initially did ok on mirt but then did worse as I raised the dose, but I think that was because I was in withdrawal from Effexor and the mirt couldn't hold up to it

• Posted

Hi Betsy

Lost in the thread, but Sert for 6 days I believe.  

Patty, how are you today?  Did you take the Ativan and did you sleep any better last night.  

The lower dose of 7.5 mg is more sedating, is it sedation you are feeling when you say detachment?  Although detachment is a side effect of Mirt, for some people.  Different people react differently to all AD's of course.  If you feel you can or want to up the dose to 11.25 it may or may not be better for you, but you need to try really, give it a chance.

However, what I would say, in my humble opinion, once at 11.25mg if it doesn't make you feel any better within 5-6 days, I would get off Mirt' - slowly, don't just stop as your system needs time to adjust.

xx

• Posted

Thank you Betsy. I did up the dose to 11.25 mg., so I quess we will see. Did sleep an extra hour last night.
    • Posted

Let's hope the 11.25 mg is ok for you, and that sleep continues to improve.  Let us know

xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.