Mirtazapine not seeming to work trying to decide whether to stop or not

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have been taking Mirtazapine for the last 6 months after having had a bad (but short) experience with Citalopram.  For the first 4 and a half months or so was on 15mg and this seemed to be helping initially with the anxiety, although didn't seem to help that much with my get up and go/motivation.  Then it seemed to stop working and at doctors suggestion put it up to 30mg for about 2-3 weeks which didn't seem to help and then up again to 45mg where I've been for the last 2 and a half weeks or so.  It doesn't seem to be working for me, everytime I raise the dose I get a brief 3-4 day period where things get better and then it seems to fall back down again.  

It certainly helps me get to sleep but I'm not convinced it's helping my anxiety just maybe slightly sedating it.  I've also started feeling very down the last few days although wonder if that could just be from the furstration of not feeling better.  I'm tempted to wean myself of them.  I know they take a while to work but have been on 30mg or higher for 4-5 weeks now and can't say I feel any better.  I could cope with the tablets making me feel tired if I didn't have the anxiety as well.

Would be interested in hearing if anyone had a similar experience with Mirtazapine and if they did what did they do and what was the result?

Thanks in advance for any replies

0 likes, 32 replies

32 Replies

Next
  • Posted

hi i was on mirtz for over a year and the only thing i found they were good for was sleeping..i had headaches no motivation with mirtz which made me depressed.. i have no tapering off and now on sertraline which are so much better for me. maybe go see your doctor and see if they can change u over. is a struggle coming off mirtz but if u taper over makes it easier.. goodluck
    • Posted

Thanks for the reply Julie. If you tapered off how long out of interest did you take from which dose?
    • Posted

no worries were all here to help each other, i was on 15mg then upped to 30mg i tapered off by taking 20mg in first week then dropped to 15mg for 4 days had vivid dreams , wasnt to bad then stopped them and went straight onto sertraline which helped with the with drawel.. felt like i had flu coming on for about a week but gone now 
    • Posted

Out of interest again was Sertraline the first SSRI you ahd tried. Doc initially put me on Mirtazapine as had a bad experience with Citalopram for 12 days or so. So just wondering if you found Sertraline worked when other SSRIs didn't?
    • Posted

i have more engry so far so good. im not to sure what ssri are isnt mirtz a ssri?
    • Posted

Apparently not, it's ether a SNRI or a tetra-cyclic AD according to what I've read.
    • Posted

I was on Sertraline but it did nothing for me neither did any SSRIs.  I was on Venlafaxine which is a SNRI for 10 years at 75 mg.  Unfortunately it stopped working and I  was on Mirtazapine.  Just llike you I was good for several months on 15 mg then it stopped working too.  I was on 30 mg for 8 weeks as I was told to stick with it.  Eventually I was put on 45 mg and that was awful.  GP took me off it and we tried Venlafaxine again but it isn't working this time around.
    • Posted

Thanks for the info Patricia, I'm sorry you seem to be struggling to find something to work for you as well and wish you the best for the future. Your experience with Mirtazapine sounds very similar to mine. How long did it take you to get off the Mirt if you don't mind me asking?
    • Posted

Not today Kat.  Even the pool didn't work.  I have had a couple of good days.  I will let you know how I get  on on Thursday.  Is the Ven working for you yet?  I realy think it's the Ven that's my problem.
    • Posted

Sorry to hear your not feeling good. What is it that we can't feel any better? So frustrating! Hope you can get some answers when you go to see the psychatrist. 
    • Posted

Hi Kat.  Are you not feeling any better either?  I hope to get some answers especially about Ven.  I don't understand how it can work for ten  years and now make me feel awful.
    • Posted

Feel a tinsy bit better this evening but nothing at all major. I wish we could pm each other. 
    • Posted

Is that the first time you have felt any better?  I always feel better in the evening.  I always have.

I used to PM Sunset when I was on Mirt she was one of it's successes.  Anyway I hadn't heard from her for a while and the other day I got a PM from her  so I asked her she did it   .  She said you could either search on Patient UK or if you had been in a discussion with the person click on their name.  Their Profile comes up click on Message and then Send a New PM comes up.  I couldn't get it to work with your name so I tried it with another without sending it and it worked.  Perhaps you could try it on mne.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.