Mirtazapine to fluoxetine.

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi , I was on fluoxetine for 7 years before for ocd. Worked fine , no side effects, nothing. Stopped over a year ago and was fine until I expierienced great deal of stress and started suffering with anxiety disorder and mild depression. Doctor put me on mirtazapine 15mg and I was on it for 3 months till I started noticing that this drug was making me more depressed in the end and more anxious , like I wasnt myself at all, felt numb, jumpy, sensitive over things I never used to be. Doctor took me off mirtazapine cold turkey and put me on fluoxetine 10 mg for 7 days and then increased dose to 20mg. That was 15 days ago. I think I suffer with every possible side effect of fluoxetine and got withdrawl from mirtazapine on top of that. Since Ive stopped mirtazapine I feel constant nasuea, two days ago I woke up with extreme nasuea and anxiety that was burning my whole body, tremors and trembrling body , sweats, irrational thoughts of going crazy, feeling dizzy and lightheaded, felt like my eyes were rolling and felt pressure in the back of my head. Went to see gp and asked him whats going on , just needed reasurance that its side effects or withdrawl , and wanted him to prescribe me something for nasuea. Gp basically laughed in my face that is just my condition not antidepressants. Prescribed some antisickness pills and thats it. Ive told him that I can manage my anxiety, that I know my body and I know when something is wrong. He blanked me. Came back home in tears , feeling like I was going crazy , then I have found this forum and can see that im not the only one going thru this and its normal to feel like this(I have seen 2 diffirent doctors before and they also werent supportive , basically they dont take me seriously cause I suffer with anxiety)so its my day 14 on fluoxetine and 15 without mirtazapine. Im feeling much better but still suffer with nasuea, hightened anxiety, overthinking, ocd is off the charts and outspaced. Far away from my old self . But I try to stay positive, I know fluoxetine takes weeks to fully work , and this sick feeling cant last forever can it ? Well thats my story in few words☺anyone else is having similar expierience ? Xxxx

1 like, 89 replies

89 Replies

Next
  • Posted

So sorry about your doctors attitude, do you have a more understanding doc in your practice? Sounds like one of the meds is giving you problems definitely. Could be withdrawals and your anxiety will make it worse, I had similar horrid symptoms to you years ago when I came off a med cold turkey, was hell, and my anxiety looking back convinced me it was even worse. The worst of it should be over by now but you will probably still be anxious. Be great if another doc could reasure you , I'm lucky my doc is great and worked through it with me, helped just for him to reasure me of what to expect and that he could help me with other options if need be. Good luck, hope you get the help you deserve. I trust my doctors advice, terrible that yours had such a flippant attitude especially with a patient with anxiety.??

• Posted

Sorry, just realised it wasn't just one doctor with that attitude. Some doctors do have a great understanding and empathy for our problem. Can't believe their attitude. I would say to change practices even if you have to travel but know how difficult that is . Really feel for you , a bit of understanding would go a long way to helping your anxiety. Good luck again, talk anytime, lots of understanding people here who actually understand what your going through and how you feel??

• Posted

Hi ☺all my GPs I went to see were like this, just quick to write prescription for ADs, no support , im having CBT but it doesnt really help me. I think its up to the terapist and mine isnt really helpful. Hopefully I will start feeling like old myself soon and that the worst is behind me and it can only get better☺how is your anxiety now ? Xx
    • Posted

Hi aga,my anxiety is better nowadays, was worse in my twenties as I had no one to talk to that understood, mum said I was just a sensitive person and a worrier, I was actually dying inside. My head racing everyday, heart racing and shaking at smallest thing, can relate to how you describe how you feel, my hubby tried to force me to do things, now after years of trying everything I look back and see what helps and what doesn't, I can have great days and do stuff on my own whereas years ago I avoided everything, felt like giving up many times as anxiety is so frustrating even scary. Now I know it will always pass just awful at time . I take very few meds now but have tried few in past. If you can't eat please try milkshakes , bananas , or com plan is good ( like a meal in a milkshake, need to keep strength up . Keep hydrated, if worried about any meds keep at your doctor , short term meds are sometimes needed. Know the miserable feeling well, people out here have been there, reach out anytime lots of good advice and a good outlet, get support from family, friends, doctors, therapists everything helps, helps to talk when our thoughts are driving us mad??

• Posted

Hi replied earlier but waiting to be moderated?😕. My anxiety is manageable nowadays , have more good days than bad. I steered away from anti depressants, treated my anxiety as the anxiety made me depressed as it just got me so down, my therapist was nice but felt I needed to talk to people who actually understood how this feels, once I knew I wasn't alone I started to seek more help . Totally relate to you and Leigh, there is help and hope, keep talking, lot of support here??

• Posted

Well done ?wish I didnt have to be on any and I wish I could be myself again , instead of relying on pills. For now I have more bad days than good but hopefully it will get better with time. I really long for it 💖💖💖💖💖

• Posted

Thanks Edwina. I just wish I could control it better. At night I get a little release but through the day its terrible. I am not working and I don't even stay at my own place by myself anymore. Too scary. I pray day and night and I know God hears me. I am only taking 5miligram of lexapro maybe I need to up my dose.

• Posted

Thanks for reply, know you feel like you have more bad days than good at moment, have been there defo. The common thing here is we all relate to how we are feeling, and we all want help and want to help each other. Believe me I can have bad days but I know they will pass, keep strong❤️
    • Posted

Ask doc about upping dose? Yourminds racing and you don't know what to do for best as you just want some relief from this anxiety. Great you are getting some sleep. Know the days are long . I had my mum to stay with me at my worst and she pushed me to do things just to keep my mind active , my ' stinking thinking' drove me mad. Try to keep busy, try asking about tips on relaxation , try everything, keep talking it helps😊??

• Posted

Thats the thing that we can talk about it and support each other and guide thru this difficult time 💖we can do this and we will 😘together xxx

• Posted

Hello sorry you are going through it but don't feel alone I am going through it to. I am dealing with depression and anxiety myself. My doctor has put me on lexapro just 5 milligram right now but let me tell you my nausea is terrible. My arms burn my chest burns and my neck. I have palpitations and my heart beats real fast through the day. I vomit when I eat, I have the shakes and I have headaches. I get a little relief at night and only when I take my medicine because it helps me sleep but as soon as I wake up it is no more sleep for me. I have only been on them for three days I really hope this passes.

• Posted

Awww im so sorry you are feeling so horrible . I myself barerly eat anything , scared that Im gonna be sick. My hubby tells me that I have to eat cause without it I will never get better and gain strenght but easier said than done. I know the feeling of this burning feeling of anxiety. At some point I didnt know what to do with myself , just laid on my tummy in bedroom, windows wide open , praying for this horrible feeling to pass , antisickness pills called Prochlorperazine 5mg helped me a lot as they prescribed for short relief of anxiety and for nasuea. Cyklizine 50mg didnt even touch me. Im trying to drink loads of fluids even if it makes me sick now. It will get better with each day, we just have to stay positive, cause this cant last forever . Im the same in the morning, once I open my eyes thats it , im awake with this stupid knot in my stomach. I hope you are going to feel better soon 😚sending loads of hugs xxxx

• Posted

Thank you so much. The only thing that tends to help me is my by bible. I read it all day mostly. I try to be positive but its hard. I just got out of a year and four month relationship due to most of this. I was loving a man first more than God and I didn't see it and all of a sudden boom. All of this fell on me. Stomach nervous and anxiety and I guess depression too. I must think positive and like u said it want last always. Thank you so much and I hope things work out for you too. I am always here

• Posted

Im here for you if you need to talk about anything 😚we can do this and we will get thru this 💖💖💖

• Posted

So sorry you are going through this too.

My GP stopped my Trazadone of which I was on a high dose, cold turkey and put me on Mirtazapine at 30mg then increased it after 3 weeks to 45mgs, I then had awful side effects, so was tapered, probably too quickly onto Escitilopram at 10mg , now going through the worst time ever too.

Hope things settle for you soon ❤️

• Posted

Hiya Karen Its me Aga ?I replied you on diffirent forum 😚😚😚😚

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.