Mirtazapine to fluoxetine.

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi , I was on fluoxetine for 7 years before for ocd. Worked fine , no side effects, nothing. Stopped over a year ago and was fine until I expierienced great deal of stress and started suffering with anxiety disorder and mild depression. Doctor put me on mirtazapine 15mg and I was on it for 3 months till I started noticing that this drug was making me more depressed in the end and more anxious , like I wasnt myself at all, felt numb, jumpy, sensitive over things I never used to be. Doctor took me off mirtazapine cold turkey and put me on fluoxetine 10 mg for 7 days and then increased dose to 20mg. That was 15 days ago. I think I suffer with every possible side effect of fluoxetine and got withdrawl from mirtazapine on top of that. Since Ive stopped mirtazapine I feel constant nasuea, two days ago I woke up with extreme nasuea and anxiety that was burning my whole body, tremors and trembrling body , sweats, irrational thoughts of going crazy, feeling dizzy and lightheaded, felt like my eyes were rolling and felt pressure in the back of my head. Went to see gp and asked him whats going on , just needed reasurance that its side effects or withdrawl , and wanted him to prescribe me something for nasuea. Gp basically laughed in my face that is just my condition not antidepressants. Prescribed some antisickness pills and thats it. Ive told him that I can manage my anxiety, that I know my body and I know when something is wrong. He blanked me. Came back home in tears , feeling like I was going crazy , then I have found this forum and can see that im not the only one going thru this and its normal to feel like this(I have seen 2 diffirent doctors before and they also werent supportive , basically they dont take me seriously cause I suffer with anxiety)so its my day 14 on fluoxetine and 15 without mirtazapine. Im feeling much better but still suffer with nasuea, hightened anxiety, overthinking, ocd is off the charts and outspaced. Far away from my old self . But I try to stay positive, I know fluoxetine takes weeks to fully work , and this sick feeling cant last forever can it ? Well thats my story in few words☺anyone else is having similar expierience ? Xxxx

1 like, 89 replies

89 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I hope you start to get through this too.

I was only on Mirtazapine for about 7 weeks, felt great ater the first week ( after being taken off Trazadone which I'd been on for about 2 years.....no tapering, just cold turkey!! And I was on a high dose)

Now, like you feeling horrendous after stopping Mirtazapine

• Posted

Hiya , im on day 16 without mirtazapine now and have good and bad moments , had okay day and then anxiety and nasuea and irrational thinking crippled on a night time. Had to take some lorazepam as I couldnt get my head round. Im relaxed now . Once I get physical symptoms out of the way I think like old myself lol do you have something to take to make you comfortable , antisickness or benzo ? They do help. A lot. We shouldnt suffer like this. I find that laying on my tummy helps , its like a safe position for me. And loads of water now. I had somwthing to eat today 2 eggs . First proper meal in 3 days and it made me feel better even tho I had to force in to myself. But my hubby tells me that without energy , fluids withdrawl are going to last forever and they going to be stronger cause body doesnt have anything to fight it with. I hope you are going to feel better soon , it will pass, it will get better. As I say It cant last forever . Im here if you want to talk .we can do it 💖💖💖💖💖

• Posted

I have some Diazepam and like you am struggling to eat, also have a husband who is supportive which it sounds like yours is too.

He too is trying to get me to eat, have managed some toast and a bit of lasagne, like your husband says we need to eat, but it's very difficult when you feel so awful!

I hope you feel better soon too, I wasn't even on Mirtazapine as long as you!

Also here for you 💖💖

• Posted

We are blessed with husbands so supportive 💖 after Ive stopped mirtazapine I started reading on internet that It doesnt matter how long you are on it , its the hardest antidepressant to come off. Ive spoke to a lad who was an addict to heroine for 20 years and he said that coming of heroine wasnt as hard as from mirtazapine. But in my opinion like I said I think you suffer with side effects of escitalopram as well on top with withdrawl. It always gets worse before it gets better , just be patient , try to rest , eat , drink plenty of fluids. And go and see your doctor and seek reasurance that everything will be okay and that is okay 💖

• Posted

Gosh that is frightening!

Which medication are you switching to?

I think if I could have some anti sickness tablets it would be some help 💖

• Posted

Im switching to fluoxetine , was 7 days on 10mg and now on day 8th 20mg. So half way thru , hopefully it will only get better now ☺
    • Posted

Fingers crossed 🤞 for you.

I've also been given some 25mg Quetiapine to take twice a day.

• Posted

Sorry Karen been busy, glad to see you and Aga are supporting each other really helps when somebody gets what your going through, my hubby is suportive too and has put up with a lot over years, he's great but there's nothing like talking to someone who's walking in your shoes. Is it your hubby who's telling you to eat? Good man👍🏻Eat bananas, try milkshakes, anything, keep hydrated, he's right you need food. I forced myself to eat dipping biscuits in sugary tea?😝This won't last forever, be strong, glad your talking, ??

• Posted

Main thing is that we can support each other , all of us here and we can get thru together 😘😘

• Posted

Hi Edwina,

Yes it's my husband who's encouraging me to eat, so glad you too have a supportive husband.

But as you say, it helps to talk to people who know exactly how you feel .

I really hope it doesn't last too long!!

Forcing yourself to eat is so hard when you don't feel like it, im very small anyway so weight just drops off me.

• Posted

Just anytime let me know how you feeling , s****y or good , we will go thru this together 💖

• Posted

You too, yes we will, although it doesn't feel like it at the moment.

Hugs 🤗

• Posted

I know , but it will , even the biggest storm passes and doesnt last forever . All comes in waves , we just have to learn how to surf 💖

• Posted

And is it only me or colours ans settings in our forum has changed ? Looks weird
    • Posted

P.s yeah forums changed, almost pressed wrong bit, doesn't take a lot to confuse me😳??

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.