Mirtazapine, weight gain regardless of diet

Posted , 15 users are following.

I was told about the risk of weight gain but told it was more to do with increased appetite than fat binding, etc and that as long as I watched what I consumed I'd be fine.  Roll on six weeks and I have surgery and after a further six weeks I feel enormous but put it down to swelling and post-op "taking it easy".  Decide to take control and join weightwatchers to find I'd put on over two stone and am the heaviest I've ever been.  One week in with little effort I lose 9lb but three weeks in I've regained 2lb and feel huge again.  Only difference, other than increasing my exercise, was that I'd ran out of mirtazapine 30mg five days before the 9lb loss as my repeat prescription failed to materialise and I started again the day after.  Can weight loss and gain be that rapid be purely down to the mirtazapine?  Having a history of bulimia I am tempted instead to ditch the pills, lose the weight and take the chance that withdrawals are not too catastrophic.  Certainly won't miss the twitchy left eyebrow either!

0 likes, 52 replies

52 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Thanks all.  After furiously googling I have decided that my aching back/hip might be the result of mirtazapine too.  To be fair, it certainly helped my head out when I was in a really grim place but I think it's time for a trip to the GP and a Plan B.  
    • Posted

Funny you should say that I've been complaining of back hip ache for 6 years!

Another thing to add to the downside of mirt

And the amount of chest infections that the doc thought i had i now know due to withdrawing that it's the pressure pain from my heart

I want off ASAP

Glad your figuring it out

S x

• Posted

I had awful pain in my hips.. it would be so hard to turn over once asleep ..the pain was agony..I stop the mirt & the pain has gone thankgod.
    • Posted

Omg that's exactly how it is

Must be common why did no one pick up on it? Doc told me it was because of my pregnancy . yet I was still wearing size 8 trousers was all baby. With my son i went up to a size 16 and didn't have hip trouble but then again i wasn't on mirt!

I best save a diazipam for when i next go to the docs I've been suffering for years. I also get neck/shoulder ache that makes my arms feel heavy and weak? Anyone else?

S x

• Posted

That's it exactly!!  Couldn't turn onto my left side in bed.  Ridiculously painful.  
    • Posted

I told my pdr about all the bad .& she said never heard any such thing .. most likely because she doesn't listen.. just pill pushers
    • Posted

Hi Sharon

I just think it's sad that we have to figure this out for ourselves if it's common then gp's should be informed

Causing unessary suffering

S x

• Posted

I have the same with my hipes and the neck/shoulder ache and also my arms are heavy and weak also my legs when i will do the garden. My legs than begin to tremble and i must go inside.

what a mess is Mirt.

• Posted

Hi karin

I'm getting quite cross about it my health has been suffering for a while and I'm a tough cookie.

It was all unessary and cruel

They made me believe it was all in my head grrr!

How are you doing today?

S x

• Posted

Hello Suzannah,

The docs do not know much i believe, mine is always looking in her book for a med and my own dr. is loving google. So then we can all be docssmile

I have said that 15 mg of Mirt makes me angry and depressiv but that´s not what the doc believed, that couldn´t.

Also the trembling in my legs.

And she had just 15 minutes for me, she did not know my story and you must know anybody´s story to come to a conclusion.

It is not in our heads!

Today was not good, also lazy and a bit depressiv, yesterday was a better day, see what tomorow brings. I am staying a little while on 7.5 mg of Mirt and will stay about 6 weeks than i must take a choice i think what to do.

It seems nothing works for me. I will see.

I hope that you do not have much trouble comming of Mirt and do not go to fastsmile

• Posted

Im with you on the angry bit

But think that's because everything is starting to make sense to me

This forum is awesome don't know what i would've done without it

You sound like you are dealing with it well. Still scary though

Hang on in there you can do this

S x

• Posted

I feel the same.. I found this forum about 2 months ago with googling mirt ...Iv never had to on any meds before..I felt I was goin round the bend & then seen I had so many side effects I was putting down to putting weight on.. or age.. felt I was reaching old age before my time..sore him & eyesight seemed to go bad also.. 4weeks off it & I'm back to normal well as before the poison. X
    • Posted

Hi Sharon, I am on 15 mg now came down from 45mg and my eye sight it really bad, I have to keep blinking just to be able read, I too thought I was getting old and needed really strong glasses along with the horrible weight gain.  Did you say you are off Mirtz altoghether now?  If so has your eyesight gone back to normal and has the weight come off yet?  And how long after the last tablet of poison did you start to feel normal again, i.e. normal eyes and losing weight?  Sorry for all the questions!!!  Thank god for this forum it has helped so much
    • Posted

Hi hun I'd say 3-4 weeks everything seems back to normal.. no aches or pains no calf strain & cravings have finally gone 😊 I lost the weight while I was on the mirt but went on a very strict no carb diet .. lost 8lb on the first week after 2-3 lb a week . Yer this forum was my saviour too
    • Posted

I cant wait for that day, it makes me want to cry that finally I will be back to normal.  Thank you Sharon x
    • Posted

Arhhhh I bet ..I did quite alot of crying wanting off it.I feel normal on venlefaxine haha . good luck 😉 x
    • Posted

I feel like I could cry at a plastic bag but its better than feeling like a black cloud is hanging over me, Id rather be a cry baby any day!  Thanks for your help Sharon, take care x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.