Mirtazapine, weight gain regardless of diet

Posted , 15 users are following.

I was told about the risk of weight gain but told it was more to do with increased appetite than fat binding, etc and that as long as I watched what I consumed I'd be fine.  Roll on six weeks and I have surgery and after a further six weeks I feel enormous but put it down to swelling and post-op "taking it easy".  Decide to take control and join weightwatchers to find I'd put on over two stone and am the heaviest I've ever been.  One week in with little effort I lose 9lb but three weeks in I've regained 2lb and feel huge again.  Only difference, other than increasing my exercise, was that I'd ran out of mirtazapine 30mg five days before the 9lb loss as my repeat prescription failed to materialise and I started again the day after.  Can weight loss and gain be that rapid be purely down to the mirtazapine?  Having a history of bulimia I am tempted instead to ditch the pills, lose the weight and take the chance that withdrawals are not too catastrophic.  Certainly won't miss the twitchy left eyebrow either!

0 likes, 52 replies

52 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I am currently coming off mirtazapine i have put on so much weight it is unbearable like some of you have mentioned i suffer with my hips back neck and legs my doc has decided to put me back on venflaxine which i really dont want to do they didnt work and coming off them was horrible i havent felt this low for a long time i just wish someone would listen and help instead of fobbing me off
    • Posted

Hi Sarah

Can it ask are you still feeling depressed?

Or is it just side affects getting you down?

I only ask because i tried the cross tapering thing and made me worse

Finally uncovered it's the mirt making me feel like crap so that's why I'm coming off it

S x

• Posted

I did put on weight. But i have learnt to control my eating. Eating low carb meals and no wheat or rice. Piece of fruit for lunch.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.