Mirtazapine withdrawal

Posted , 136 users are following.

Hey everyone,

I've been on Mirtazapine 30mg since Feb his year but I've had alot of problems with. Ear infections, burning mouth syndrome etc. so my Psychiatrist think's I should come of it. He told me to cut down to 15mg and only take them for a week and then just stop. So I finally stopped taking the 15mg on Mon night and I feel terrible.

It's not just my moods (my depression/anxiety had been great before coming off med), I physically feel really sick, been feeling extremely nauseated and last night couldn't sleep because I kept thinking I was going to throw up. Is this a normal reaction coming off mirtazapine?

Because my depression/anxiety had gotten alot better, we didn't feel the need to just take me off mirtazapine and put on on another drug because I thought I was cured. Plus, I don't want to take any more antidepressants at all really.

PLEASE, any help or advice you offer would be greatly appreciated because I'm really worried now and I don't want to have to go back to taking mirtazapine sad .

Will the withdrawal last long? How long will it take to fully get the tablets out of my system?

Please help,

thanks,

Star

7 likes, 878 replies

878 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Star,

I must admit that after 3 weeks I felt 'clean' BUT have had the occasional flashback where the dizzyness returns and I get 'head sweats' a lot (something I'd not had before but have had since during and after taking Mt.

I'd like to attribute all of this to the drug's effect, but I think it is also because of the continued and increasing anxiety, panic attacks and dreadfully unpredictable depression. I feel at the moment (about 6 weeks off Mirtazapine) really head-flucked, but attribute that to restarting my psychotherapy and really pushing my agenda re GP/psychiatrist/cbt/physio/psychotherapy in combination with a big increase in back and leg pain through working too much (even though I've been on sick leave for the last 2 weeks but ended up working most days to clear off the backlog). Exhaustion too plays a big part.

So basically I'm totally relieved to be off Mt but am not in good shape. However, I can't attribute this to Mt, just life.....

Take care of yourself, this is very important!

Best,

Silent..

• Posted

Do not start taking valium to replace mirtazapine or to switch to another antidepressant! Valium is extremely adictive and you will have a hard time trying to come off of them. I started taking valium for anxiety back in 1996 and I was 13 years on it because I couldn't come off of them, just recently I managed to come off with a slow withdrawal that lasted 1year.
    • Posted

I am coming off mirtaz but have been given two years ago valium for the anxiety.  How do i get off it
    • Posted

100% agreed. Was your mind racing with crazy thoughts when withdrawing? Any insomnia?
  • Posted

Hi guys nice to read all your posts,

Well like you guys i've come off Mirtazapine (4wks and counting)

I was prescribed it for Anxiety after having a bad time on citalopram (devil drug)

Well so far its been ok though i still seem to get my days when i feel a little anxious, i just hope that after all the tablets ive been on my brain will level out and get back to normal!

• Posted

Hi there,

It is reassuring to hear others experiences. I have been on/off various different anti-d's and was on MT for a month, my doc went on hols and i never went back for a prescritption.

I was on 30mg for a month, and it is about 5 days since i had the last one. I have spent the past few days feeling like i have flu and nauseas. Not nice at all, but i don't think i will go back for more. I am hoping this eases up. Over-emotional, exhausted, but if it is withdrawals, then hopefully it will be over soon.

• Posted

Stay away from doctor prescribed drugs. They want you hooked, don't be another victim.

• Posted

Hi. I have been or mirtazapine for over six years. I have had 3 previous attempts to come off this drug as my depression and anxiety have receded but they all failed during the weeks of reduction. Not due to sudden re-emergence of depression (that takes months if it happens), but because of horrendous withdrawal symptoms. These are anxiety, nausea, stomach upset, extreme jumpiness etc, exactly the kind of thing you get (i hear) with withdrawal from valium etc. I was annoyed at this as all the literature states withdrawal from this drug is rare and mild. I am currently trying again and this time using a liquid version to taper reduction more gradually. Hopefully this will work this time as I want to get off this drug due to side effects of weight gain and lurid nightmares. When we know so little of the brain and its chemistry it's no wonder that such drugs can be a blunt tool. I will post again to let you guys know how it goes. Sure being on the meds was better than my worst depression but I wish they weren't so addictive. Cheers
  • Posted

I had a severe depressive and anxiety illness that lasted 4 years - tried every anti depressant you can think of - finally psychiatrist prescribed ECT which was very effective - and have felt very well since then, but also was prescribed Mirtazipine and Venlafaxine as a \"preventative\" measure - want to get off them - was on 30mg of Mirtazipine then reduced to 15mg, and have now stopped for a week but seem to have withdrawal symptoms - feeling \"twitchy\" and a bit anxious. Any idea how long it takes for the withdawal symptons to stop ?
  • Posted

hey

I found this post, because i also have been getting some bad side effects coming off the Mirtazapine, Mainly Anxiety, and panic attacks, I even experinced some heart palpitations, which i mentioned to my doctor. Thats when my panic attacks would start, as soon is i felt a heart palpitations or just a pain which was nothing, thats it i find my self pacing the house, not being able to sit down, Just basically thinking am dieing

i was on the 30mg tablets then was put on 15mg and now i just taking half of a 15mg tablet daily. iiv been on them years, and just want of them!

• Posted

Hi.

I went 'cold turkey' from Mirtazapine and, although it is a bloody horrible experience including extreme anxiety, uncontrollable tearfulness, inability to sleep and generally feeling crap, I believe (and this is only my opinion so don't take it as gospel) this is the best way to do it. After 2 weeks of the anxiety I managed to get Valium from my GP, these helped a lot, they calmed me down and allowed me to sleep.

I have been off them now for 5 weeks and the only symptoms I am still experiencing are the bouts of tearfulness (I am a male) but, things are definitely getting better, I just hope the tearfulness soon goes away.

The reason I didn't want to go down the 'weaning' route was that I didn't want to prolong the agony, I just wanted to get it over with as quickly as possible.

I wouldn't advise anyone to do it this way without discussing it with a professional but I believe it's the quickest option if you are prepared to put up with roughly 7 weeks of hell!

• Posted

Hi there

Your post gave me some relief so thankyou, after taking it for 6 months I've been off mirt (30mg) for 4 weeks exactly,my withdrawals have been awful, tearful at the slightest thing, paranoia severe anxiety, mainly involving traumatic events from several years ago, fear of dieing or losing my family.I find it hard to believe these symptoms are withdrawal symptoms, I can't see an end to it and think I'm going to end up like this forever,can you tell me how long these horrible withdrawals last and why they are so bad, my wife is incredibly supportive but I feel ashamed and embarrassed to put her through this, my GP has prescribed 100 mg sertraline and diazapam and zopliclone to help me sleep, this is making me more anxious as I'm paranoid about being on so much meds, any advice is appreciated greatly, I'm at my witts end

• Posted

I quit cold turkey aswell
    • Posted

i am at my wits end too. Reducing from 15 to,half. I have been sick,diarrhoea, temperature all at five days lowering.   Anyone offer any advice

• Posted

Wow! Immediately begin tapering these drugs now! Watch youtube videos about how bad these drugs are. Start getting off them now!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.