Mirtazapine withdrawal

Posted , 136 users are following.

Hey everyone,

I've been on Mirtazapine 30mg since Feb his year but I've had alot of problems with. Ear infections, burning mouth syndrome etc. so my Psychiatrist think's I should come of it. He told me to cut down to 15mg and only take them for a week and then just stop. So I finally stopped taking the 15mg on Mon night and I feel terrible.

It's not just my moods (my depression/anxiety had been great before coming off med), I physically feel really sick, been feeling extremely nauseated and last night couldn't sleep because I kept thinking I was going to throw up. Is this a normal reaction coming off mirtazapine?

Because my depression/anxiety had gotten alot better, we didn't feel the need to just take me off mirtazapine and put on on another drug because I thought I was cured. Plus, I don't want to take any more antidepressants at all really.

PLEASE, any help or advice you offer would be greatly appreciated because I'm really worried now and I don't want to have to go back to taking mirtazapine sad .

Will the withdrawal last long? How long will it take to fully get the tablets out of my system?

Please help,

thanks,

Star

7 likes, 878 replies

878 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Well thats good news that you saw your doc, im glad. My god i did not know the propanolol were addictive, but saying that they are not an A/D so it will not be that bad i'm sure, just do not get too addicted to the sleepers though as i was given diazapam but only took them when it was too hard. The beta blockers did most of the work so i stopped the sleepers.The betas are well worth taken none the less, i started on two a day then dropped to one in the evening and have helped me no end as you may find out, thats just my opinion nothing else : )

Did your doc mention about retaking the mirt?? Your husband maybe right though but the mirt is the work of the devil himself im sure : (

Hope you sleep well and the anxiety gets lost : )

• Posted

No the doctor did not mention going back on them, just to give the propanalol a couple of days to work.

No sleep yet but I haven't taken a sleeping tablet yet. I will go to bed in a min and give it another half hour and take it then if not.

Yes hopefully the anxiety will do one soon! Iv never had anything like it before!

Thank god for parents, I only have to get the oldest to school, get home and wait for them to arrive for about 11ish...it feels an impossible task on my own but i'm sure i will manage somehow

• Posted

I have cut my betas in half now and will take them twice a day at a now 20 mg and will let you know how i get on as ive just done some research on them and they can cause some sleep issues which i have been having recently even though i could take that nice calmer diazapam at 5mg but dont want to wake up too heavy if you know what i mean, me a sedatives have always had a sleepy start to the day.

oh by the way ive checked out the addiction on pronanolol and it does not seem to be bad at all : )

Sleep well

• Posted

I managed 6 hours straight! Iv had very little anxiety, managed with herbal kalms. I will take a propanolol before bed though as night is worse, even if I don't need it in the day. I just feel like iv been run over by a bus. I know this may just be one good day in more bad to come but even so its better than nothing. Yes please let me know how you get on, and good luck smile
  • Posted

Well i must say that altering my dosage and going back to two smaller ones a day i managed to sleep much better. I also got about 6 straight hours with out waking up in between and another couple after that so felt better for it, which is a first. Took myself out today and stayed out for 5 hours which is an improvement and managed to smile a few times : ) Will see tonight if the same occurs, i hope so...

What was the dosage your doc gave you if you dont mind me asking? yourself having 6 hours straight is not bad at all. myself the sleep pattern before was broken every 1 to 2 hours in which i would get about 6-7 hours on a good night, which aint that good if its broken sleep but like you say its better than none.

Yeah we all feel like crap at times but the betas should help the anxiety somewhat. I'm to stay on a nine week course and see how it goes from there but will be cutting the dose from now on...

Hope your having a better time of it now, all the best : )

• Posted

Hey guys

I came off Mirtazipine 30mg bout 5weeks ago. Ad 150mg Sertraline instead. Ad no probs at all withdrawin.

Today i av been put bk onto Mirtazipine 15mg. Gona phase Sertraline out and increase Mirtazipine gradually.

I tried.

I failed.

X x

• Posted

The dr prescribed me 40mg three times a day. I haven't needed it yet today I have managed with kalms...iv had a half dose 3 times but am beginning to feel the waves of anxiety start. I will have a propanolol before bed and hope for the best. The tiredness is catching up with me and all the tension from the anxiety has left me in lots of pain, especially in my ribs and sternum! I managed to go out to take my eldest to school, and pick him up again although I picked him up with my dad to keep me company.

It will get better i'm sure...I know I dont need these pills and I will beat this withdrawal!

Well done on getting out...little achievements reinforce positive thinking. Yesterday I was congratulating myself for getting through an hour at a time....a long day, but I did it.

I still feel sick though, that hasn't eased - on the plus it has helped me lose weight as I can't eat a lot (see there is positive in everything!)

I hope you get a good nights sleep tonight smile

• Posted

DooLally,

why were you put on mirtazipine instead of sertraline then changed back again?

You haven't failed, its just something went wrong somewhere thats all!

5 weeks is a very short time to know if something is working or not...it was 4 months before I decided to quit the mirtazipine. I'm glad you had no withdrawals. My withdrawals have been awful I'v had natualr anxiety twice - both times I though I was dying, I'v also had mirtazipine withdrawal anxiety too-now that is like nothing I have ever felt or want to feel again!

I hope things sort out for you, remember determination is also the key. Good luck with the change over smile

• Posted

Hey DooLally,

Sorry to hear you had a prob with having to go back on the mirt. What happened for you to go back on them? I for one will never try the mirt again, period, end of. Horrible little pill for me which i did not get on with. But if it gives you the strength you are looking for then hey thats cool, it works for some and not for others.

I was put on escitalapram to cushion the blow from coming off the mirt but it had little effect as the withdrawels were too heavy me thinks, but it did stop the depressing thought a bit but did nothing to lift the spirit though, so its as good as cold turkey for me.

All the very best and thanks for posting, do let us know how you get on. It helps when people in the same situation that don't know each other can share to help one another, it really can help. Hope you do well this time round : )

• Posted

Hey mini thanks,

Yes i do feel more positive today and hope this is the window i need to start to rebuild myself : ) but i must not take it for granted as a false dawn can rise, so much for positive thinking : (

Yes the same as me, 40 mg but only twice a day, It will relieve the anxiety, but if you want to take it on then hats off to you : ) I was so bad that i kept thinking of the poor polar bears that you see pacing up and down there little penns in the zoo. i would pace up and down the living room and hall way trying to shake off the heavy anxiety, glad thats behind me now...

Keep on it you will get better soon : )

• Posted

Thanks so much to baileyp and boobysdad,

for posting back and letting us know about their recovery from this awful after mess called Mirtazapine withdrawal. I have been inspired and will take much from you're shared thoughts and feelings. When i do get better i will also make an effort to post on this forum as to help others through this hard time.

So many folks have suffered from this damn awful blip in life, which would no doubt be of help to themselves going through this in the future i would hope.

Once again thanks...

• Posted

Hi there everyone again,

Well its exactly 2 weeks since I stopped the mirtazipine, and its been hell. I have to say the anxiety is less severe and doesn't last as long. I would say its more like a severe nervousness now (sort of bordering on anxiety with jitteryness but not quite full blown as it was) it still lasts from about 4am til 8-9am so I'm still not getting much sleep. I also get tremors.

The thing that wakes me initially is an overwhelming urge to cry which I manage to resist then it turns into the nervousness. I have seen my dr today and she expects that within the next 2-3 weeks this should have eased off.

I am still taking the propanolol at night but the advice I have been given now is to leave it off at night and take it as soon as I wake with any signs of anxiety then get back into bed and hopefully within 30mins of taking it I can relax back to sleep. Normally I have been trying to ignore all the weird stuff and get back to sleep and take the propanolol when I get up in preparation for the day ahead.

I will try it the way my dr has suggested and see how it goes over the next few days.

Please people keep updating as will I, it helps those that are going through this hell of a journey.

I WILL beat this smile

• Posted

Yes, it's a difficult journey, and I for one, am really thankful of this forum's existence. The wealth of info in just reading through from the very first post, is exactly what I needed, and I'm eternally grateful for the input to all those that have suffered and bothered to support this thread with their experiences and how they went about 'fixing themselves'. Personally, I was so angry with my Medical Support. My GP was the worst person I could take advice from, and if I continued to listen, I'm sure I wouldn't be here today.

It's been a long time since I've stopped. More than 60 days now and all I can say is good riddance! I'll just learn how to cope and avoid issues that set off my anxieties and depressions without relying on chemicals to cloud my judgements.

@mini3585: It sounds like you're on a good thing and recovery IS just around the corner. Do whatever works for you. I have been reading this thread constantly, but because you've done it differently to what I had, I refrained from any comments, but good luck to you and God speed... Keep in mind, that things will get marginally better every day, and because you know that, it's a hell of an incentive to just keep plodding along. The teary nights and insomnia and all the other rotten things you feel, will soon be just a memory of a bad experience. Truly! .... and keep posting your findings. Even if no one responds, it doesn't matter. People out there ARE reading them if not necessarily replying to them. If things get critical, someone WILL speak up. It's just another good way to try keep focus on something even for just a small amount of time, and you actually feel some sort of accomplishment for doing so. Every little bit helps, and if you can get you mind of things for just a moment, then it's YOUR time that you have control of, and that makes you stronger.

@pjdme: Thank you for your kind words. You've suffered, so I know how much you mean it.

Anyway, I have to go off and deal with my other demons now... (Bobby and Penny, my two cats, are hungry, and it's wayyyy past their supper time.)

(\__/) (\__/)

(='.'=) (='.'=)

Me & (")_(") (")_(")

• Posted

Hi folks,

Hope alls getting better. I am still having probs with anxiety and sleep but not as bad as the early days. I've been confused with myself recently what with the depression that ive had and its just dawned on me that i think it is still more anxiety than depression as ive never had anxiety at the level that i have, hence the slight confusion...

I was meant to see a psychiatrist today as to really get on top of this and have waited two weeks for this appiontment only to be told that its been cancelled as the doc is ill, fantastic eh!! but at the same time releaved as i may not be sectioned for a bit LOL kind of.

Would like to know how the kalms went mini as i was thinking of taken the more natural way to relieve this a bit. I'm getting off the escitalopram which i have now tapered off from 20 to10 and now to 5mg in three weeks as i want nothing to do with AD's anymore, i am sure you all undersrtand as i think the escitalipram may be a bit of an hindrance in my recovery, the docs just dont know all the time. I just want to get my natural balance back, if you know what i mean, i hope im right...

Thanks mini/bobbysdad yet again and please keep up your good input it is much needed here as you know : )

• Posted

hi ive just been given these of the doctor and the chemist said they aint addictive, but i get all the symtoms that all you have described coming off them, before he put me on them, so my advice is if it takes a pill to make you feel better for the rest of ya life then keep taking the pill id rather take them and stay on them, rather then go threw what all of you have been threw coming off them anything for the easy life i know the fact of been on tabs make us all feel uneasy but sometime we have to just go with it for the peaceful life i will mention this to the doctor but all i know is ive taking one and i felt better 20 mins l8r then id ever felt so ive got to stay on them for now anyway wink

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.