Mirtazapine withdrawal

Posted , 136 users are following.

Hey everyone,

I've been on Mirtazapine 30mg since Feb his year but I've had alot of problems with. Ear infections, burning mouth syndrome etc. so my Psychiatrist think's I should come of it. He told me to cut down to 15mg and only take them for a week and then just stop. So I finally stopped taking the 15mg on Mon night and I feel terrible.

It's not just my moods (my depression/anxiety had been great before coming off med), I physically feel really sick, been feeling extremely nauseated and last night couldn't sleep because I kept thinking I was going to throw up. Is this a normal reaction coming off mirtazapine?

Because my depression/anxiety had gotten alot better, we didn't feel the need to just take me off mirtazapine and put on on another drug because I thought I was cured. Plus, I don't want to take any more antidepressants at all really.

PLEASE, any help or advice you offer would be greatly appreciated because I'm really worried now and I don't want to have to go back to taking mirtazapine sad .

Will the withdrawal last long? How long will it take to fully get the tablets out of my system?

Please help,

thanks,

Star

7 likes, 878 replies

878 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

i will say one thing thow if and when i decide to come off them i will not just stop taking them i would snap a 15 in half and take it like that for 2 to 3 weeks i think that might help your problem cause going from 15 to 0 has got to be bad but going from 15 to 7 and half a day then to 0 must be better for you hope that helps

• Posted

Hey Everyone.

Sorry i havent got bk lately. Im in a very dark place.

The reason for me goin bk on mirt is because the sertraline alone didnt do anythin for me. Im on 15mg Mirt plus 100mg Sertraline for a mth,then Mirt wil increase an Sertraline wil be removed.

I lost my Mum to cancer in July this year and i just cannot cope. She was my life.

Xxx

• Posted

Hey DooLally,

Glad you got back to let us know how things are. I am really sorry to hear of your loss, i really am. Life can be so cruel to us all when losing a loved one and hope you climb back up soon.

I've now been off the mirt for the 7th week (cold turkey) : ( and am still dealing with it but will not give up for my families sake as if they new how bad it really was they would no doubt be distressed beside me and i do not want that, so i have kept it to myself and hope to get over this soon. I will keep the good peeps posted on my recovery and hope it can help out in some way...

If the mirt works for you then good for you but keep an eye on that weight gain, mind over matter. The strange thing is when i was on the stuff i actually lost weight that in itself should have sounded off the alarm bells : /

Take care and please do come back soon : )

Hi Dex,

i hope you're new found way helps much as i was put on escitalipram for about 4 years on and off for mild depression mainly S.A.D and never had a side effect problem with it but for the bedroom dept, if you know what i mean, but then again ive never really been too much of a super sex thing : / sorry no rudeness intended, just being real.

As for coming off the escitalipram i never had a problem, i could just stop and no withdrawals at all. But for some it can be hell. So it depends on who you are and how the drug takes effect. However it may not be addictive but there is something there that is dependent or takes time to withdraw from for certain peeps and mirt was the case for me. Do taper off slowly when the time comes. I wish i did somewhat but my hopeless doctor then did not give me the right advice to do so, which has left me angry somewhat : ( some say pain is weakness leaving the body, i hope they are right.

Good luck and do keep in touch if you can : )

• Posted

Thanks PJDME for gettin bk 2me. Ur such a lovely person. Ino 1 day i wil get the strength to come off Mirt,but for now, as DEX said-it is the only option for me. For me,it dus its job. An as much as iv always said i never want to rely on drugs to keep me goin,this time i have to.

Xxx

• Posted

Thanks doolally, I've been charmed : )

Absolutely, get through this hard time and then when you feel strong enough then come off. I was doing that with my former AD escital and when i came off i stayed strong for some time but needed it more so this time of year as i hate winter : ( grrrr!!! but over the years the drug had some benifits when not on them like being more articulate in speech and more confident in my soroundings and it has stuck which i owe much too : ) until recently of course but i hope to be over that soon.

Really glad you got back it means so much : )

• Posted

Ur rite-it dus mean so much. Not alot of ppl know im on anti depressants so its good to tlk to ppl without bein judged an wiv ppl who know how it feels to need drugs to pk them up.

The dwn sides im findin on Mirt is the sweatin at nite. Jeez my onesie sticks to me!!! Lol

Also forgetfulness-im not too sure if thats just me tho!!!

Thanks for bein there.....xxx

• Posted

Not a problem, i check my emails often so if ya need some support just drop a post and i'll get back as soon as i can : )

yuk! yes i know what ya mean i sweated so much i had a life jacket on in bed at night as to make sure i did notdrown in the stuff Lol

Hope you sleep well as im sure i will not but hey you never know, good night : )

• Posted

Also only two people know im on AD's thats me and the doc. No one else needs to know as im sure you understand... Most are just plain dumb and too stupid to understand if you ask me, but hey no one's perfect, its all about being human i guess : )
  • Posted

pjdme,

I took kalms for mild to moderate anxiety, they take about an hour to work and also help a bit to sleep. Unfortunately they take about an hour to kick in and they do nothing if your anxiety is bad. I had to start propranoloI when it got really bad but I found they relaxed me enough to get to sleep although not stay asleep sad

Dex3785, You are totally right...if taking a pill a day keeps you happy and enables you to live life then yes just keep taking it. Unfortunately for some people sometimes the pill stops working or it doesn't really help in the first place. I took citalopram after having my first son as I had postnatal depression, they worked and I came off them no problems. After my second son I had an agitated session that lasted 3 hours, I was given diazepam in the hospital a few hours after birth and that night went home, following a good nights sleep I felt fine the next day. However, because of that episode and the history of postnatal depression I was started on antidepressants as a precaution...it should never have happened. The side effects were awful but the 'experts' kept telling me it was anxiety and depression...I now know differently and am trying to come off everything.

The next journey will be trying to come off rispiradone, which is an antipsychotic started to 'kick start' the antidepressant into working...now that one i'm dreading!!

• Posted

mini3585,

my sleep is not 100% yet but it comes and goes, just keep on and it will get better. I was thinking of taken the kalm pill but am still taken the reduced propranolol 20mg twice a day. I will wait for now as i have just about tapered myself of the esctelipram and will see how this goes, so far so good i think. Usually i can just stop taken this pill but because of recent circumstances with the mirt withdrawal i will taper this time just to play it safe...

Must say yesterday evening felt much better which is a good sign but today i have struggled which has been a pain, my heads feeling a bit strange. Have had times during this recovery when the same old stupid songs are continually repeating in my head which is very annoying as i dont even like these songs : (

I must get off these pills and reach a natural balance once again and then take it from there, rather than swap for yet another.That is my plan anyway and if a doc sticks his big oar in then he can get lost, im not taken anything for now unless my life depends on it...

Hope you get off those ispiradone much better than the mirt mini. All the best for now, chin up my friend and keep the faith : )

• Posted

Thanks bobbysdad and pjdme for your kind words. I feel a lot more encouraged than a few days ago. Now here is the test...was it the rispiradone causing my anxiety all along???? The thing is I went to collect my prescription yesterday morning, didn't check it, put the unopened bag in the meds cupboard and went to work. After work I got home 8:30pm ish and at bed time I opened the bag and it wasn't my meds but my husbands (they had already given a repeat last week!). Well without the rispiradone I had an awful nights sleep. I went to the chemist and fortunately they had my tablets and I took one this morning...the result...a bit of anxiety this pm ?related to the fact I took my tablet this morning. The anxiety I have had over the last few days has definitely been withdrawal from the mirtazipine and I seem to have got over most of that. Now I'm worried the bit of anxiety I have left is due to the rispiradone, who knows. What a mess, I wish I knew what to do, wait or start to get rid???

I will see what happens tonight, and if it tonight results in less anxiety then from tomorrow I am tapering down the second devil drug I'm taking....get ready for round 2! If not then I could still be suffering with withdrawals from the mirt...

• Posted

Well tapered down the escitalopram from 20 to 10mg for not so bad, but from 10 to 5mg for 3 days not so good anxiety and doom. So ive stepped back up to 10mg and things have settled a bit. Looks like i may have to stay on 10 for another week or so : ( Not happy though as in the passed i have been able to come off these without any probs, im starting to wonder now if in the passed i was given placebos at times as i once suspected...

@mini3585 how has it gone with you're tapering off rispiradone, has it helped any?? I hope so, so at least one of us is mending well!!

This is taking too long for me to get through, wish i could feel more positive about this hell hole im in but i can't. Feeling low at this moment.

For anyone wanting to get off AD's cold turkey my suggestion is don't, unless you don't mind dancing with the devil...

Good health all and keep strong as i am still trying too.

• Posted

PJDME,u will get there. Ur gona ava few bumps along the way,but i believe in u an believe u have the strength and determination to do it.

Hope u feel better soon

Lots of love xxx

• Posted

Thanks Doolally,

Yes i have got to get through this but i must say its the biggest test in life that i have experienced for sure, never felt so bad. Wish now that i had tapered off and not relied on another AD. Had mild depression before the mirt and now im like this, unbelievable!! I will live and learn the hard way i guess...

• Posted

No need to say thanks. Its wot were all ere for,to support an help each other

Xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.