Mirtazapine withdrawal

Posted , 136 users are following.

Hey everyone,

I've been on Mirtazapine 30mg since Feb his year but I've had alot of problems with. Ear infections, burning mouth syndrome etc. so my Psychiatrist think's I should come of it. He told me to cut down to 15mg and only take them for a week and then just stop. So I finally stopped taking the 15mg on Mon night and I feel terrible.

It's not just my moods (my depression/anxiety had been great before coming off med), I physically feel really sick, been feeling extremely nauseated and last night couldn't sleep because I kept thinking I was going to throw up. Is this a normal reaction coming off mirtazapine?

Because my depression/anxiety had gotten alot better, we didn't feel the need to just take me off mirtazapine and put on on another drug because I thought I was cured. Plus, I don't want to take any more antidepressants at all really.

PLEASE, any help or advice you offer would be greatly appreciated because I'm really worried now and I don't want to have to go back to taking mirtazapine sad .

Will the withdrawal last long? How long will it take to fully get the tablets out of my system?

Please help,

thanks,

Star

7 likes, 878 replies

878 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hey pjdme

The sertraline jus didnt do anythin for me. 150mg iv been on an nothin.

Ifu feel the need to b bk on Mirt,dnt b scare to go bk on them. Theres no shame in needin help.

I didnt want to. But im so glad now that i did

Xxx

• Posted

Debbie,

I am glad that you are feeling better, and I am glad you feel so encouraged. That has got to be a good sign hasn't it? I'm the same now. In a way although I am getting the anxiety I am sort of glad that I'm off the sertraline and mirtazipine because I actually feel a normal range of emotions and feelings now and

DooLally,

I sort of know what you mean by feeling nothing...thats one of the reasons why I came off them in the first place. I can't believe the feelings these tablets have been numbing!

Pjdme, thats really good that the anxiety isn't so bad, I'm sure its just time. I see the psychiatrist again on the 24th and I can't wait to get a regime to taper off the rispiradone as well.

Right people I'm off to bed whilst I feel tired enough to sleep....need to be refreshed for the dreaded school run tomorrow

• Posted

Mini

I'm glad you are happier and feeling again! I wish I was off my tabs I seem to have gone from one nightmare tablets to another, Paroxetine which were causing such bad anxiety I've been given Clonazepam, which have worked miracles, my mental health doc was supposed to ring me Friday to see how I was doing but he never did which left me deflated, I'm not sure if I'm supposed to be taking the Clonazepam if and when I need to or what? I'm not taking one tonight I'm hoping I will go to sleep normally!

Plus my leg is still bad and I'm worrying I've a clot as I've had them in the past, so I felt better for what a day then have been laying with my leg up, seems never ending!

Will have to phone the doc tomorrow.....again!

• Posted

Debbie,

I don't know when you will read this but If you suspect a blood clot you need to go to the Dr. asap. If you are not happy with the Dr's opinion get to the nearest a+e and get it checked out...I'm sure if you have had one before you know that they can be life threatening and need treatment asap. Please go and get it looked at, and a second opinion if needed!

I would ring and find out how you are supposed to be taking the clonazepam. I am pretty sure its supposed to be taken at the same dose everyday as it can cause withdrawals if stopped suddenly. I would check though to be sure.

Let me know how you get on with the leg pain smile

• Posted

Only been taking the dreaded drug for 2 months and decided to stop as was making me feel like a zombie all day, side effects I believe I have had have been nausea, heart palpitations, can't sleep with vivid dreams and has any one had any shortness of breath and how long will this nightmare end as very scary?
  • Posted

Hiya Mini and all

Just to let you know I've spoken to my mental health doc, got the tabs sorted ive only got them for two wks just to get me through taking the new anti ds. He was worried about my leg so told me to get on to my gp ASAP, so spent 2 and a half hours sitting round the docs tonight, he thinks it's a pulled muscle but if it swells again or isn't better by Friday I've got to go back! Just take ibuprofen! So that's that least I've got it all checked!

• Posted

How long should these symptons last please, been off them a week now, and kicked in on Thursday?
  • Posted

Hi david,

It will get better. Are you having racing thoughts and anxiety/panics? Have you contacted your GP as to get some relief? if not, contact him/her first thing and tell the gp what the problem is. The withdrawal symptoms depend on the person and how you came off. Did you taper off or just stop? If you read through these thread from the beginning you will see there is lots of shared info to take from. but if you are having bad anxiety then it will probably be of little use just yet.

Yes me too the "zombie" feeling and strange dreams, had a not so nice time on the stuff myself.

Stay strong you will get over it soon.

• Posted

Hey debbie,

Hope alls getting better and glad you know where you stand with the Clonazepam med, you dont want to be on those things for too long.

Had a strange day today no anxiety just a little twitch. Seems to be subsiding day by day now. Still feeling a bit low though. but hey with the anxieties dropping off, i hope the depression does too. Wishful thinking i guess. Hope the leg gets better soon by the way.

All the best.

• Posted

Hi David,

You haven't been taking them that long but its long enough for them to get into the system. My withdrawal started approximately a week after I took my last dose. The major withdrawal symptoms lasted a week, but the worst was about 4 days. I psted on here because I was desperate for an answer to how long I would feel that bad!

Its 5 weeks and Im still having some withdrawal but its not too bad now. In the end everyone is different, but it will get better. My symptoms are now a toss up between withdrawal and the effects of the rispiradone I'm on.

Good luck and let us know how you get on smile

• Posted

Pjdme

I think you have to try and be patient but it's hard when you just want to be better now! It's good your anxiety is sounding much lower, I'm sure your low mood will lift as the days go on, this time of year doesn't help with even 'normal' people does it! Hopefully we will have a nice spring which will give us all a boast!

My legs a bit better today thanks, those Clonazepam I could take all the time that's for sure but I've only gotthem for two weeks max, they are 0.5mg each and I'm only allowed two a day! I wouldn't need a higher dose! I haven't taken one for the last 2 nights and have slept right through, and haven't taken one today, I'm trying not to but Increasing the seroxat I know in a few days it will hit me so I might need the Clonazepam then!

Hope you carry on improving!

• Posted

Hi all.

Well debbie its good to see you are more posative, Today i was anxious, had to see the doc about the sertraline and i have now been prescribed only 21 tabs at 50 mg that the doc would like me to start tomozz. 21 tabs? wheres the full months dosage? and i was given them in a bottle with no brand name and no instructions. So went back and asked. When they gave me the instructions i could see why they did not hand it over. Psychologically the side effects listed are just about everything bad you can get in life, I then had a panic attack understandably. Im not looking forward to this at all but may have to bite the bullet & go with it as my mood is still well low to do anything at the mo,

Yes patients, a word i dislike at this moment. roll on spring it cant come soon enough, it is quite miserable out there. But if i remember the last spring we had was worse than what we are having now : ( God im a box of instant sunshine aren't i, but hoping for relief for us all soon though : )

Hope alls well with everyone else today.

And david if you are reading this i hope alls well mate.

• Posted

Hi All.

Well im avin a real bad time of it. Not dwn to my depression for once!! I had a tooth out an nw av nasty infection in my gum. Swelling,pain,temperature the lot.

Iv been laid up on the settee since Sun now. This is now gettin me dwn.

Am i the only 1 who prefers the zombie feelin to normality?? Lol

Hope u are all as wel as can be

Xxx

• Posted

Pjdme, watch out for the "biting effect" off sertraline. Wen i started them,they made me clench my jaw so hard for bout 2weeks. Cudnt eat it was that bad sad xx good luck xx
  • Posted

Hey Doolally,

Sorry to hear about the tooth problem, it does'nt rain it pours down for us sometimes. Well at least you are safe at home, snugged nice as a bug in a rug. Hope it gets better soon.

I for one would prefer the zombie feeling at the mo.

Take care

: )

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.