Mirtazapine withdrawal

Posted , 136 users are following.

Hey everyone,

I've been on Mirtazapine 30mg since Feb his year but I've had alot of problems with. Ear infections, burning mouth syndrome etc. so my Psychiatrist think's I should come of it. He told me to cut down to 15mg and only take them for a week and then just stop. So I finally stopped taking the 15mg on Mon night and I feel terrible.

It's not just my moods (my depression/anxiety had been great before coming off med), I physically feel really sick, been feeling extremely nauseated and last night couldn't sleep because I kept thinking I was going to throw up. Is this a normal reaction coming off mirtazapine?

Because my depression/anxiety had gotten alot better, we didn't feel the need to just take me off mirtazapine and put on on another drug because I thought I was cured. Plus, I don't want to take any more antidepressants at all really.

PLEASE, any help or advice you offer would be greatly appreciated because I'm really worried now and I don't want to have to go back to taking mirtazapine sad .

Will the withdrawal last long? How long will it take to fully get the tablets out of my system?

Please help,

thanks,

Star

7 likes, 878 replies

878 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hey Doolally yes seen all the side effects and im surprised that one was not on it, maybe the side effects list is lacking many others. Have not decided to take them just yet, they are sat on my shelf and thats just where they may stay.

Thanks.

• Posted

Hey pjdme, that was the only side effect i got of them tabs.

I hope u dnt get any!!!

That sayin wil b on my gravestone......."it dnt rain,it bloody pours" lol

Xxx

• Posted

yes i know the majority of posts online are from the small percentage that have had probs The majority dont because they dont feel they have too., so hopefully if i do go for it it maybe kind to me, im hoping : )
  • Posted

Ill keep my fingers crossed xxx
  • Posted

Thanks again : )
  • Posted

No meed to thank me-we r all here for each other. Xxx
  • Posted

Yes i know but a little thanks given can make me feel better for it. yes we certainly are and it helps to help, its good to share. Plus it takes my mind off things at the mo

Tha??? yet again : )

• Posted

Hi All,

just to let you know i have started a new type of Propranolol by Actavis (the previous one was by Teva) last night and what a difference. It took me about an hour to fall asleep but when i did finally fall i was out for the count and slept really well all the way through which for me is a first since the withdrawal from mirt. Also i had no anxiety at all last night after taken it and this morning when i woke up. Just felt somewhat strange as i slept so well.Anyway just thought i would put this to type as it may help others. Propranolol is not an A/D it is a Beata blocker used for anxiety. It slows the racing heart rate and stops the release of adrenalin that make us feel so uncomfortable. i will update this as i get use to the med.

• Posted

Thats great news pjdme!! Really gud to hear u have found summit that wrks 4u xx
  • Posted

Hi Doolally,

I feel kind of strange after a good nights sleep, my head feels clearer but still feeling low.

Hi gang,

Hope you are all feeling better today. Just took my first sertraline 50mg and stopped the 5mg escitalopram that i have cut down to for the passed eleven days. I just hope i dont get withdrawals now from the escit, what a set back that would be. But hey watch this space, that mean anxiety is bound to show up again the rotter. This 1st week 50mg is to be taken, then next week 100mg then the following 150mg and then finally 200mg. How long does this take to taper off if it does not work anybody please??? as if i dont see any improvement after that then i may to quit. Any hints would be helpful...

So yes i gave in and so i feel a bit disappointed there, should really have given it a bit more time. The escit i could not stomach anymore as it was doing naff all to help. in fact i think it was causing more anxiety to be honest. we shall see.

Hows it going all?

Hope alls well with the rest of you.

• Posted

I didnt get any withdrawals off the Sert!!xxx
  • Posted

Pjdme

Fingers crossed the new tabs keep working for you, i think if you can sleep it helps to get you through the day don't you think?

I've started to feel the side effects of upping the seroxat so got the happy pills to get me through it, hopefully won't last too long!

Legs still playing up, but better than it was, I did manage to take the dog out!

Does anyone else feel so deflated when they have a goodish day then the next is rubbish? I had a couple of hours yesterday where I actually felt 'normal'

• Posted

Hi Debbie,

I feel exactly as you do.

Yesterday I got loads done and felt good and today I have paid for it by doing nothing and feeling miserable for not doing anything.

I just hope tomorrow is better as I am wondering if reducing medication is causing the swings. My brain tells me to battle through the bad days but my emotions say increase the Mirt for an easier life.

• Posted

Hi debbie, kenbo,

Yes sleep is so important for better mental health for sure . Taken the dog out for a walk sounds like your on the mend there, compared to being stuck on the sofa, now thats good news debbie..

Hope its not too bad for you guys. Raising or lowering a dose, we all seem to be in that same boat. If you want to get to the other side stick it out if you can. if not then just go back. They say its the weakness leaving the body : \

I also have the same but evenings mostly, it can be so misleading sometimes. I have a good one then its not so good. Coming down from the escit 7.5 to 5mg was strange/bad, great for the first few nights, i was kind of elated then bang it hit me for a few days quite badly but i got to the other side and the anxiety became much less. if you do get anxiety syndrome do try the new propranolol that i mentiond earlier today, it is much much more superior to the crap i was using before, and its not a A/D, Zero anxiety or tremors for real.

Hope you both the best.

• Posted

Hi all,

I went to see the g.p. yesterday because despite the propanolol I am still getting anxiety though not as bad as without it. She increased it from 40mg to 80mg. I took one this morning about 7am just as it was starting and within 20 mins it had disappeared!

Sleep isn't much better because my hubby has a cough now and wakes me up frequently in the night with coughing fits. Just waiting for the family to be better so I can get my sleep back on track.

Sounds like people are generally doing well...thats good. I agree with pjdme, the propranolol is great for anxiety..and no addiction worries too.

I used to get good days followed by a bad day and that would ruin the high I got from the good day, I would feel so much more down with the disappointment of not managing more than one good day together. I have to say though that since stopping the antidepressants (except for the initial withdrawal) I have been having consistanly good days with just the odd blip here and there.

I hope everyone is well smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.