Mirtazapine withdrawal

Posted , 45 users are following.

If anyone could share some of their experiences and perhaps advise on when this nightmare is going to end I'd really appreciate it. 

I’m 34, otherwise healthy, started Mirtazapine (in some sense against my instincts) about two years ago due to severe anxiety (no depression at all) and panic attacks. My Doctor prescribed Mirtazapine 30mg, to be tapered upwards from 7.5mg. 

I remember the first few days I felt a weird sensation when swallowing (simply felt like uncoordinated swallowing, where the food/drink seemed to be going at the wrong velocity towards its target). However, after a while and increasing dosage this symptom vanished more or less. 

Fast forward about a year and a half forward, and (apart from helping my IBS by making me numb) - the drug was totally useless anxiety-wise. I was still feeling very bad. True, I had not gotten many panic attacks, but I found that they were just transposed with a very generalized anxiety which I believe (self-diagnosed) had almost become a phobia: I became afraid of trying new things altogether from fear of having e.g., an allergic reaction (never had any of those ever in my life and never feared them before either). I had quit sports because I could not stand the sensations involving an increase in heart rate or blood flow. Done all of the tests and all is fine with my heart and everything else for that matter. It’s all in the head but the head controls your body and your mind.

The Mirtazapine just made me numb; I could feel less love to my fiancée (now wife!) and cared less about the world in general. Realizing that I had just become more anxious (if less panicky) the Doc upped the dosage to 45mg. What a disaster. More than a month afterwards I was just getting more and more anxious on a daily basis.

Eventually, AMA, I decided that going on Mirtazapine was the biggest mistake of my life. I started tapering, very VERY slowly. I think I went from 45 to 15mg with relative ease, taking more than two weeks at a time to decrease the dosage by 3-4mg at a time. Each time, I would feel great for 2 days, then start developing quite severe cramps and feel lousy for another week or so, then I’d get slightly better. Knowing that I am really ultrasensitive to any change in physiological parameters I tapered from 15mg to 3.75mg in a turtle’s pace: 3.75mg at a time, with more than a month (and even two sometimes) between each taper. I have a PhD in Chemistry so I know what I’m doing. Again, every time, after 2-3 victorious days where I’d feel like I’ve conquered mount Everest, I’d then feel lousy for 4-8 days; but then things would seem to be a bit better. Weirdly, at the lower doses of 7.5mg and 3.75mg I started again experiencing swallowing difficulties; I started choking on water and became very mindful of my swallowing dyscoordination. Still I felt altogether quite alright – and I believed that the remainder would be similar.

How wrong was I. I have come off it completely exactly two weeks ago. Again 2-3 days where I felt fine, then a few more days with cramps. Then, good old panic hit, with terrible anxiety that just keeps getting worse and worse. I feel terrible weakness, zero energy, I have withered due to loss of appetite (since when I eat my stomach just cramps a few hours later; actually not so bad since I had put on some weight during my time on Mirtazapine). I feel completely overwhelmed by the symptoms: every time there is something new. I feel weird tingling sensations and I have strange feelings of pressure in my stomach. I get dizzy a lot and then just feel weak. My muscles are sore without any reason. I was certain that these issues would resolve in a few days; Mirtazapine’s half-life is quite long and I know that receptors can take 2-3 weeks to get re-modulated (actually that’s why they always say that the beneficial effects of Mirtazapine will take around 2-3 weeks to become effective when you go on it). But I did not expect this gradual and horrible worsening of symptoms over the last 14 days. I have had to start treatment with Benzo’s (as needed, I try to avoid them but sometimes there’s just no way around it) and they seem to help in some instances, whereas in others they only seem to do a moderate/poor job at managing the symptoms. For the first time in my life yesterday I suffered from ED. Never happened to me before and despite a very supporting and loving wife, I felt that was yet another crushing blow. The weird thing is that all these things are not getting me depressed – just really anxious.

I can only hope that things will start to get better. I have no idea when these things would begin to get back on track. Doctors seem to be quite oblivious to my suffering, not really believing that withdrawal could be so powerful yet not finding ANYTHING else wrong. The situation is really frustrating.

One thing is clear to me: I’m never, EVER going back on this horrendous drug. It was a huge mistake beginning with it, and for all of you who need these kind of drugs: ask your GP or Psychiatrist what are the withdrawal difficulties expected for the medication. I know I sure wish I had asked it.

If anyone could share whether they’d experienced similar withdrawal symptoms and how long they’d persisted, I’d really appreciate your comments. I hope that by posting this someone else will also benefit as the internet searches are really frustrating as well.

4 likes, 536 replies

536 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Manuel,

it's rough but once you get on the right track it isn't so bad. You'll be off this junk soon and back to work and back to being yourself. You'll feel empowered. We all can do it!

i had a small hiccup yesterday but that's all it was. Felt fine the rest of the day. Slept 10 hours last. Ite as I really needed it.💚

• Posted

Do you know what? One lesson I received from my father: "Manuel, as soon as you have a hiccup, if you want to get rid of it in 5 seconds, just swallow a spoonful of sugar" IT WORKED. He had read about this method on a newspaper. Now everytime I see a friend of mine with a hiccup I tel him/her to do the same. It works all the time...People think I'm a magician....
    • Posted

Hi

Can I please ask as you are so knowledgeable when I'm likely to feel better. I'm reducing 1 day a week as per CITA's tables of reduction & this week I'm upto 3 days off Mirt. Will it be 6 weeks approx after my last dose? I've had days of feeling fine & then days of extreme awfulness!! Comes & goes in waves, which CITA said it would. 

Also a huge well done to Susan you're an inspiration, continue good health hun!

Thanks

Jo

• Posted

Thank you Jo, 

I'll let Manuel work it out but just know the awfulness WILL pass.... Just focus on one day at a time x 

• Posted

Hi

I'm following the CITA reduction plan, I'm down to 0.1ml of liquid which equates to 1.5mg of tablet. I started, as they suggest, dropping a night each week of the Mirt, so this week it was Mon/Weds/fri next week I'll add another week. I've been tapering all year. 

The awfulness is aching, low mood, fatigue, nausea, anxiety & then tends to be one night where I don't sleep at all. Mainly due to anxiety & nausea.

I'm starting Acupuncture tomo afternoon, never had it before but they reckon it's effective for all of the above, so fingers crossed.

Jo x

• Posted

Thanks Susan for your kind words. On the good days I've felt amazing, but the horrible days make it hard to stay focused.

How's your sleep been throughout the withdrawal process? I have patchy nights & then nights where I wake at 3am, like this morning & the knot in my stomach prevents me falling back to sleep!

Well done tho, so happy for you!

Jo xx

• Posted

Hi Jo,

My time lines are a bit hazy now but I think for two weeks I really struggled sleeping, at first due to just waking up at the wrong time and not being able to get off again.

If I remember rightly the first week of withdrawal wasn't so bad, I think it really kicked in on week two. Then I suffered like mad with hot and cold sweats through the night.

I would wake up absolutely freezing but drenched with sweat. Extremely unpleasant as I began to feel really unwell on top of having little and very much interrupted sleep. I think the night sweats lasted about a week at their severest and then tapered down. My son slept with me one night about three weeks in and swore never again lol.... I had thought I was ok but apparently when I slept I was all over the place. (I'm not complaining ..... He no longer feels the desire to ambush my bed 😃).

After the sweats calmed down I was totally exhausted. I would be getting ready for work and literally have to have ten minutes snooze between getting out of the bath and doing my hair. Everything and anything just depleted my energy. This lasted for the duration until the antibiotics kicked in, so it could have been a mix of withdrawal and the infection. 

We need to sleep well and eat well to cope with the withdrawal, unfortunately they are the two areas which really get screwed up in the beginning which then leaves us in a vulnerable place to then face the rest of withdrawal and recovery. 

I would recommend taking a good balance of vitamins to help your body cope, however, the problem I had was that I couldn't keep anything down even if I managed to swallow it. 

In the end because of the swallowing issue my GP gave me liquid antibiotics. I was able to keep this down .... and I feel like they have saved my life. 

So many side issues going on with this stuff but I think a comprehensive listing of possible effects could do a lot to calm others.

Remember that if you start to feel like it is something more than withdrawal it is possible you have picked up a virus or just a simple infection but because our body's is already at war, then it's resources are depleted and any infection could get a real foot hold. If you even suspect you have an infection ask your GP for a blood test as that is the only way they will be able to distinguish between withdrawals and something else as the White cell count will be high, indicative that the body is fighting an infection, or at least trying to. 

Let me just say though ..... The withdrawal may be vile but it IS WORTH IT! 

Also it is worth mentioning that I was really stupid in my withdrawal approach and those that are being sensible and tapering may not feel such extreme withdrawals. Hopefully! 

You will get you back again and everything will seem that bit more brighter. 😀

• Posted

Hi Susan

Thank you for your reply. I've had nights where I've woken up with a wet chest neck area from sweating too! 

Is your sleep better now? 

I'm taking Aloe Vera Gel drink daily plus, Vit D, Omega 3, 3 x a day, multi Vit & B complex too! 

I'm starting Acupuncture this afternoon too! Eeek bit nervous bout it but have been told it can help with withdrawals etc. hope so! I really miss going to the gym, haven't been properly for weeks! Just too fatigued or feeling ill on & off.

We will get there, just like you!

Best wishes

Jo xx

• Posted

So, you are starting the cita protocol from 0,1ml right? Before  were you  reducing at the 10% rate? May be your withdrawal symptoms are the result of your previous reduction...They might as well kick in after the second week...or at the third. Acupuncutre is a great choice, go for it. Nausea can be controlled by ginger tea. Anxiety by 0,5mg Lorazepam. COming off Lorazepam is a joke comperared to mirta, so don't worry. As you see we are all supporting each other here. It's tough. Susan went cold turney (without knowing) and she rode the thunder, women have incredible resources. Rose is following the cita protocol from 7.5mg. I'm going to follow it next week from 11,5mg. After a lot research I notice that the 10% reduction every 2 weeks, might be just a major agony...Because the brain seems to read every little change. So, it's best to take away a dose each week to allow the body to get used to the new situation. Yesterday we celebrated Susan, a war hero. Hat off. From now on our "guardian angel". Today we have to start rooting for Rose. 
    • Posted

Hi Jo,

I sleep like a baby now cheesygrin. It's all temporary....just keep hold of that thought x

• Posted

I'm stock piling my resources now for the next ten years at least.... lol
    • Posted

Hi Jo,I was on 7.5mg of mirt for four month,I only tapered down for a week before I came off it,I didn't t know anything about the drug I was taking.a week later I was hit with all the withdrawals,couldn't t sleep,if I did go to sleep I would wake up after a couple of hours shaking from head to toe,I was hot then I was freezing,my thoughts were all mixed up I couldn't t think,extreme anxiety,the list goes on!! I m just over 4weeks off mirt and things are calming down a little,I m still anxious,feel sick,head is a little muddled but I m starting to feel more like myself,I ve been taking aloe Vera gel,and anti nausea tablets.without this site I don t know what I would have done,the people on here have been fantastic !!! By telling each other our experiences we have helped each other realize it does get better.we re all on a bit of a roller coaster at the moment so strap yourself in and enjoy the ride 😀x ps any symptoms that might be bothering you,let us know one of us will have experienced it x
    • Posted

Thanks Susan your support means a lot.me.My daughter was on a sleepover last night  and I slept for 10hrs,I woke up now and again,but I'm so happy that I could fall back to sleep I can t remember the last time I did that!! The only thing that is still bothering me a bit is the nervous shaky feeling,when I m like that I feel like I can t walk properly and the back of my neck feels numb,did you ever get that? Xx
    • Posted

...Last night I had a nice dinner with friends. I had to pretend I was completely fine...A huge sense of anxiety arrived. I do not know, this drug made me experience sensetions I never knew. It's been tough, but I had Susan's victory in my mind. So, even if at the table with my wife and friends  I was feeling awful, I just pretended I was ok. Fake it until you make it. The horrid sensation abandon me after one hour. 
    • Posted

I became quite shaky yes, lack of food probably contributed. In the final stages I just hurt all over. One day I asked myself which part didn't hurt and the answer.... My legs lol x 
    • Posted

That's all you can do for now....literally fake it till you make it. You WILL make it. 
    • Posted

Thanks Susan. I'm getting ready for a picnic. Today, in Germany is a national holiday, so I'll have a day off with my family.  The sun shines and I'm looking forward to going back to my Rome next week. I need to start planning my movie. I'll ride the storm. Also, I'm ordering some great supplements from the british brand Viridian. Have a great day, Manuel
    • Posted

Hi

Thank you for replying. Before 0.1ml I was tapering by dropping a dose or two each week so tapered each drop over 4-5wks more in the beginning. I dropped by 0.05ml so tiny dose but it worked fine up until I hit 0.1.5ml!! 

Like I've said I'm having good days in amongst the bad, so at least there's some rest bite for me.

I've got diazepam for when anxiety is really bad, but use them sparingly. I've also got nausea tablets from GP for when it's bad, & use either ginger tea or ginger beer which does help.

I guess I'm nearly there, just hoping it won't get worse when I'm virtually off or have come off! That bit scares me.

Thanks again

• Posted

Joe: YOU ARE ALMOST THERE. Follow the cita thing and make it! Susan went cold turkey and made it, Rose is about to make it like you within 2 weeks. What I found out is this: SERT occupancy is 80% even at low doses...This is why there is no difference if you jump abruptly from 7.5 to 0 or from 1.5 to 0. So you are doing the right thing: alternating doses...Be very happy because your agony will soon be over. Have a great day!
    • Posted

Hi 

Can I please ask how was your sleep before MIRT? I went on it for sleep & anxiety problems that only started last year. My GP wasn't sure which was triggering which. 

I hoping my sleep will balance out once I'm

Off it. Touch wood my anxiety isn't like it was last year anymore only on off days!

Jo xx

• Posted

I went onto Mirt because I couldnt sleep, they gave me temazapan but only for a week. I couldn't stop crying and that's when they diagnosed me with depression (genius!).  So initially I stumbled on it because of my lack of sleep, panic attacks and emotional meltdown. Now I'm sleeping as I should. The bad sleep/anxiety has not returned ... X
    • Posted

Hi, thank you for letting me know. That's very encouraging that you also went on it for lack of sleep (like me) but now sleep well. 

Thanks again Susan. Have a great weekend, feeling well!! 😃

jo x

• Posted

Thank you for your encouraging words and advice xx it means lot x
    • Posted

You're right, we are all helping one another, which is brilliant. I really hope you start to feel better soon.  Wishing you well xxx
    • Posted

No problem Jo, 

Concentrate on how well you are going to be feeling soon, consider every ache and pain a victory, as the drug is purged from your body, all be it kicking and screaming, it's just its death throws. 

Don't worry about the reasons that took you to Mirt, don't make yourself anxious that the symptoms will come back, avoid any self fulfilling prophecy. 

It's not something you can foretell, focus only on getting better. Man, if we can persevere with this level of crap .... Then getting a handle on anxiety has got to appear a much easier option. We are FAR stronger than we think we are. 

Worrying will only do you harm and it really isn't worth it. Worrying is useless but having a plan is useful.

Tell yourself if any symptoms re occur then you will deal with them as and when. I told myself that if any of the nonsense started again I would look at alternate methods of management. I had a solution ready in case but I didn't worry about it at all. 

All my anxiety symptoms have gone and I was on this road for around five years (stress and more stress). I feel more together now than I have in a very long time. So will you! X 

• Posted

Hi Susan, just been reading through all your posts and found them very inspiring, well done to you!! Can I ask you what you took for the tummy upset? My stomach is in turmoil, I have the meds for anti sickness which help. I am down to a quarter of 15 mg, breaking a piece away each time, a bit difficult as it is impossible to get it exact, like you I am having a torrid time , I keep thinking that it won't last forever, keep reading all the posts keeps me going, I really don't know which is the best way to withdraw, do you think it's best to alternate the dose ie one night on one off, how did you do it? Also I am having terrible sleep problems, like awake most of the night with all the usual symptoms that everyone experiences.l wish it would all end, I have no help from my gp all she wants to do is increase my dose, she told me that there were no we from mitt, little does she know, quite honestly I could hit her, I am determined to beat this drug wish I'd never taken it, I know that everyone on here is in the same boat so we all need guidance and strength, good luck to everyone that is riding the storm which seems never-ending.
    • Posted

Susan is our source of inspiration in this forum. I suggest you start following the cita protocol for mirtazapine. We all tried to reduce it by slowly tapering off, but at evry reduction you get nasty withdrawal symptoms no matter what. The cita plan has a smarter approach cause it makes the body used to the reduction little by little. have a lookk on their website. Rose is following it, I'm starting as well.
    • Posted

Hi Margaret, 

whatever you do DONT up your dose, think GP's are confusing the WD symptoms with a need for more Mirt. Will Bob badk later, in a rush now x 

• Posted

We are all riding the same storm. try to sabilize on that dose, to sleep 2mg Lorazepam work (and it's not dangerous) YOU ARE NOT ALONE. 
    • Posted

Hi Susan

can I please ask, did you have any anxiety whilst withdrawing?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.