Mirtazapine withdrawal

Posted , 45 users are following.

If anyone could share some of their experiences and perhaps advise on when this nightmare is going to end I'd really appreciate it. 

I’m 34, otherwise healthy, started Mirtazapine (in some sense against my instincts) about two years ago due to severe anxiety (no depression at all) and panic attacks. My Doctor prescribed Mirtazapine 30mg, to be tapered upwards from 7.5mg. 

I remember the first few days I felt a weird sensation when swallowing (simply felt like uncoordinated swallowing, where the food/drink seemed to be going at the wrong velocity towards its target). However, after a while and increasing dosage this symptom vanished more or less. 

Fast forward about a year and a half forward, and (apart from helping my IBS by making me numb) - the drug was totally useless anxiety-wise. I was still feeling very bad. True, I had not gotten many panic attacks, but I found that they were just transposed with a very generalized anxiety which I believe (self-diagnosed) had almost become a phobia: I became afraid of trying new things altogether from fear of having e.g., an allergic reaction (never had any of those ever in my life and never feared them before either). I had quit sports because I could not stand the sensations involving an increase in heart rate or blood flow. Done all of the tests and all is fine with my heart and everything else for that matter. It’s all in the head but the head controls your body and your mind.

The Mirtazapine just made me numb; I could feel less love to my fiancée (now wife!) and cared less about the world in general. Realizing that I had just become more anxious (if less panicky) the Doc upped the dosage to 45mg. What a disaster. More than a month afterwards I was just getting more and more anxious on a daily basis.

Eventually, AMA, I decided that going on Mirtazapine was the biggest mistake of my life. I started tapering, very VERY slowly. I think I went from 45 to 15mg with relative ease, taking more than two weeks at a time to decrease the dosage by 3-4mg at a time. Each time, I would feel great for 2 days, then start developing quite severe cramps and feel lousy for another week or so, then I’d get slightly better. Knowing that I am really ultrasensitive to any change in physiological parameters I tapered from 15mg to 3.75mg in a turtle’s pace: 3.75mg at a time, with more than a month (and even two sometimes) between each taper. I have a PhD in Chemistry so I know what I’m doing. Again, every time, after 2-3 victorious days where I’d feel like I’ve conquered mount Everest, I’d then feel lousy for 4-8 days; but then things would seem to be a bit better. Weirdly, at the lower doses of 7.5mg and 3.75mg I started again experiencing swallowing difficulties; I started choking on water and became very mindful of my swallowing dyscoordination. Still I felt altogether quite alright – and I believed that the remainder would be similar.

How wrong was I. I have come off it completely exactly two weeks ago. Again 2-3 days where I felt fine, then a few more days with cramps. Then, good old panic hit, with terrible anxiety that just keeps getting worse and worse. I feel terrible weakness, zero energy, I have withered due to loss of appetite (since when I eat my stomach just cramps a few hours later; actually not so bad since I had put on some weight during my time on Mirtazapine). I feel completely overwhelmed by the symptoms: every time there is something new. I feel weird tingling sensations and I have strange feelings of pressure in my stomach. I get dizzy a lot and then just feel weak. My muscles are sore without any reason. I was certain that these issues would resolve in a few days; Mirtazapine’s half-life is quite long and I know that receptors can take 2-3 weeks to get re-modulated (actually that’s why they always say that the beneficial effects of Mirtazapine will take around 2-3 weeks to become effective when you go on it). But I did not expect this gradual and horrible worsening of symptoms over the last 14 days. I have had to start treatment with Benzo’s (as needed, I try to avoid them but sometimes there’s just no way around it) and they seem to help in some instances, whereas in others they only seem to do a moderate/poor job at managing the symptoms. For the first time in my life yesterday I suffered from ED. Never happened to me before and despite a very supporting and loving wife, I felt that was yet another crushing blow. The weird thing is that all these things are not getting me depressed – just really anxious.

I can only hope that things will start to get better. I have no idea when these things would begin to get back on track. Doctors seem to be quite oblivious to my suffering, not really believing that withdrawal could be so powerful yet not finding ANYTHING else wrong. The situation is really frustrating.

One thing is clear to me: I’m never, EVER going back on this horrendous drug. It was a huge mistake beginning with it, and for all of you who need these kind of drugs: ask your GP or Psychiatrist what are the withdrawal difficulties expected for the medication. I know I sure wish I had asked it.

If anyone could share whether they’d experienced similar withdrawal symptoms and how long they’d persisted, I’d really appreciate your comments. I hope that by posting this someone else will also benefit as the internet searches are really frustrating as well.

4 likes, 536 replies

536 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi jo..

not sure about the duration ???I think Susan would know more about that.

do you realize we all here will be off this evil drug soon and new people will be here to replace us with some of the same problems.

i hope to come back and check in once I'm off. I'm shooting for my last day to be oct. 15 th.

i WILL beat this crap ass drug and so will all of you.

thank you all for the support. I'm not done yet but I see light at the end of the tunnel!

💜💙💛

• Posted

Hi Rose

You've done so well! Wow 15th Oct that's so close, I think I will be the week after all being well! Have you had any withdrawals this time round?

What dose are you on at the moment?

Best wishes

Jo x

• Posted

Manuel,

thank you in particular for your compassion and intelligence...I admire the person you are. It won't be long now my friend. You'll be back in action ....!!!!

• Posted

Hi Jo,

i am following CITA, so my dose of 7.5 will be the lowest I will go down. They say I can get off from this point.

I have found that the chart CITA put out to be invaluable.

skipping days instead of going down below 7.5 then again I know everyone is,different and I'm nervous because it wasn't hard for me to go down on mirt, the withdrawals didn't really hit me till a week after my last dose so......

it may happen again but I feel more empowered than before and I'm feeling stable with no problems not even sleep. So maybe if it will be a battle it will be one I'm prepared for. I'll keep you guys posted.

good health to all of you and thanks to all.

i had to use a UK site because I guess America is such a small country that they don't know how to make reduction charts....haha

or good sites such as this. I'm grateful...👍

• Posted

Hi everyone,

well I was off for 4 days and it was actually not to bad. Nothing major, not feeling great but not so bad either.

last nite was my on night 7.5, and t was a hard pill to swallow because I'd rather be off this stuff but following CITA. So, I did sleep but woke early which was actually ok necause I think I got 8 hours but felt like miserable. I didn't want to shower and get going. I forced myself to shower and wow that did help. Then I grabbed a snack and out the door I went. Got to work and had some toilet issues first thing but it wasn't bad this time around. So for today. I would just say it's like a bad day I could have had at any point in my life and I feel much better now.

The last time I tried to go off mirt...and was unsuccessful I had the following

night time wake up/ with panic

nausea night and day ....was on the toilet very often

could not eat for fear of vomit

all day anxiety...some panic as well

so this discontinuation is so so much better. I have a tiny bit of the above but not even close to the last withdrawal.

im angry too this time. But not as angry as the last time.last time I was angry at the pharmacy and doctors and the pills and " Why the hell did I even take this terrible drug?"

so I'm angry at myself as well.

this time I'm trying to go easy on the whole mess. I'm getting off them and things will be ok, even if I need to go to the hospital...I'll be ok. I was losing a pound a day last time. Scarey.

sorry for going on...and on

have a good day guys hang in there....

God bless all of you💛💙💜💚

• Posted

Hi Rose,don t be angry at yourself,we were all fooled when we needed help, I don t know why the doctors still give people this horrible drug !! You re doing so well,as each day goes by your body is getting less dependant on it. I ache all over today I feel like I ve been  run over by a bus,but I'm smiling because I know it's leaving my body.So keep smiling Rose and just think how good you re going to feel, take care we re all here for you xxx
  • Posted

Oh, and I almost forgot...thank all of you for sharing each day. I couldn't have come this far without encouraging words and all the information you have shared!!!!
  • Posted

Hi fudgey...

yes I agree and of my long list of things I forgot to put muscle aches which I have in my hips and legs. Those have actually gotten worse since discontinuation.

so today I'm limping along. I'd had family ask why are you wearing a sweater??

uh...because it's 80 out and I'm freezing at the moment...but wait....I'll have a hot flash real soon, and strip down. Not cold, cold shaking inside OMG....... To many symptoms to list.

oh my gosh the crazy stuff this drug can throw at us....

Have a decent day

• Posted

Hi Rose,

You have just described exactly how I felt. I was at work and felt like I was dying. I had gone upstairs and spent the rest of the night limping about.

In the final week I started with a new pain in my left front pelvic area, it would come in waves and I would cramp into the foetal position till it passed or scrunch myself up in an office at work.  

Every part hurt except my lower legs .... Keep going, you are beating it into submission.... Almost there!! 😀

• Posted

Hi Susan...

i know it's just to much to take in at one time but it is better. You reminded me when you mentioned the pelvic thing that for a couple days I felt like I was getting a monthly . I haven't had one in years.....I was like REALLY....??? Why another symptom.

but on the good side I had an okay day and then for awhile I felt sick and then in the evening now I feel much better. Riding this thing out. Gets better though with each day. Today one step back. I can handle that.

💛💙💜

• Posted

Hi n95,

yes, as, yes and yes to all of the above. I was told by my doctor I could transfere medications no problems as the mirt was not working. So I was on 30 and did a tranfere to trazadone. I first week was kinda ok, but the weird thing was the trazadone wasn't helping me sleep. By day eight I got very I'll with nausea, vomiting and horrid worse than anxiety. Like through the roof. I though perhaps it was the trazadone so I called the doctor and asked off of them. That's was fine. I did not know enough to go back to the mirt so for 21 days I went through absolute hell with all of the above symptoms you had to greater or lesser degrees. Went back to the doctor and I said this has to be withdrawals from the mirt wasn't on the trazadome long enough. He said no withdrawals for either. Ok...so quick have to find another doctor quick went to my GP and he sent me to my new psych . ( BTW, I was put on this medicine for insomnia )

anyhow this new doctor said yes you have to go back on the remeron. It is withdrawals. So I went back on. I found this site and the people here have helped more than the doctors.

hamg around it does get better.

💚💜💙💛

wishing you better results with your new taper. I like CITA taper.

• Posted

I saw 4 doctors all having a different opinion on Mirt withdrawal. The proof is in the pudding. The withdrawal is BAD. 

Every day that passes is one day closer to being well. 

You should be able to see the finish line cheesygrin .... We are all urging you on from our different spots on th globe x 

• Posted

Sometimes I felt prisoner of this drug. Then I rationalized the feeling: the drug created a metabolic change, this new state is not recognized by me...hence the uneasy feeling. The fact that the body reacts so violently when we try to taper off the drug is a proof of this. I'm really amazed at the fact that doctors do not believe us. This is simple maths. A few days ago, when explaining to my doctor about the withdrawal symptoms, when she stated it was fruit of my imagination I told her to please go and read the forums. The thing is that here in Germany, no forum deals with mirtazapine withdrawal. Not even in italy. My conclusion is that in Germany people just suffer like crazy without telling anybody, whereas in Italy nobody dare get off this drug. 
    • Posted

Sometimes I felt prisoner of this drug. Then I rationalized the feeling: the drug created a metabolic change, this new state is not recognized by me...hence the uneasy feeling. The fact that the body reacts so violently when we try to taper off the drug is a proof of this. I'm really amazed at the fact that doctors do not believe us. This is simple maths. A few days ago, when explaining to my doctor about the withdrawal symptoms, when she stated it was fruit of my imagination I told her to please go and read the forums. The thing is that here in Germany, no forum deals with mirtazapine withdrawal. Not even in italy. My conclusion is that in Germany people just suffer like crazy without telling anybody, whereas in Italy nobody dare get off this drug. 
    • Posted

Hopefully, some GP's might look at this thread and re-evaluate what they think they understand about this drug. If I were a GP, I would be very interested in user experience. Let's hope someone checks it out. 
    • Posted

I'm beginning to understand their psichology. They won't be interested in these forums. This is why I'm going to open a blog where each one of us can post his experience in a very detailed way. 
    • Posted

Hello Susan, i have been on Mirtazapine for 6 years ! a GP in Germany prescribed it for me to gain some weight. It never caused me any bad effect , but i decided finally to get off mirt . I went from 15 mg to 7.5 mg four months ago and didn’t have any WS , but last 2 weeks i started to have anxiety attacks , hot flashes , restlessness. Now i’m planning to use CITA chart to go from 7.5 mg to zero but i saw two types of tapering 

The tablets mode or the solution mode and i saw they’re a bit different, so guys what do u suggest ? The 7.5 mg tab tappering or the liquid ( i do have the soluble 15 mg tablets and i can make my own solution ) ,, 

Thanks a lot 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.