Mirtazapine Withdrawal

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all I've been on this site a few times I'm just asking for a bit of advise .Firstly I ought to tell you I was given 45mg of Mirt for IBS ,that was 4yrs ago.ive tried to come off it a couple of times without success .Right now I've been down to 15mg for the last month.My problem being the as I'm weening down the more tummy pain I get.(I must add that it's chronic IBS ) Now I really do want to come off this drug this time,and I'm asking people out there if you know of any way it could come any lower without the pain.I must add I seen my GP yesterday who's only answer was (yes Mirt is hard to come off ) no help.Ive also had all the other withdrawal affects sleepless nights bad temper and so on ,but I can handle that I just can't handle anymore pain.Id be sincerely gratefull for any suggestions .Sorry to go on so long.

0 likes, 33 replies

33 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Norma, tummy ache is a classic, but it should last not more than 2 days... It happened to me as well. You should switch to the oral solution. 
    • Posted

Manuelmanuel I don't really want to right all what I've put to Elizabeth again . But it's more than 2 days and I'm on 15mg at moment and I want to come down more but I'm worried that if I go down to 7.5 it's going to be unbearable.
  • Posted

Hiya norma i was on mirtazipine for ten years and it is a terrible drug to come of i have not had it now for 3 weeks and was put on 10mg ov citalopram been on them now for 2 weeks an im still in a lot ov pain if you want to get of them go on another to cover them and a lower dose good luck hun liz x
    • Posted

Hi Elizabeth what sort off pain are you talking.Ialso agree with you it's a terrible drug to come off .My GP told me yesterday the same thing but he wasn't no help.I'm already on another drug (Pregablin ) that supposed to do the same thing work on your brain to reduce pain,but neither of them totally cut out the pain,and as I'm on such a lot of other meds for serious problems I'd like to try and stop some that are not doing any good.
    • Posted

Hiya norma im only on paracetomal beacause i have a liver problem and am on tablets for that and blood preasure and bones so has you can gather im in lots ov pain every day so tierd what are you on hun and what for  liz x
    • Posted

Ohh Elizabeth it would take all afternoon to tell you that.Here goes Underactive Thyroid due to a tablet given me for aHeart attack,osteoporosis Reumetoid Athritis ,Ephesema ,and the one that's the most problem a big fat IBS.I take 4 tablets just for that which is why I wanted to try and cut some out because they don't do the job good enough .
    • Posted

Blimy norma you are going though it bless you not nice if you think they are not doing there job i would just stop them depends on how you feel hun go see your docter and see what they say good luck hun liz x
    • Posted

Hi Liz actually I'm in quite a lot off pain,even with all those other problems.         IBS rules my life,and as for GP total waste of space.But thanks for your kind reply.Hope your doing alright.
  • Posted

Hi Norma,  If i've ready your post right the main problem is not coming off Mirtazapine per se in terms of the classic withdrawal symptoms but that in doing so you are getting a reccurence of your pre-existing IBS complaint.

Can understand why you're worried that dropping the dose further will lead to worse IDS symptoms, although you won't know for sure until you try.

My partner suffers from abdominal pain and whilst it's not classed as IBS she takes a drug called Mebeverine which does seem to help.

Can't help thinking that you need to find another (not necessarily AD drug) to treat the IBS more than anything else, so wonder if an IBS focussed forum might be worth asking as well.

• Posted

You see Clarkio I've had chronic IBS for some years now.When I was given Mirt the idea of it is it works on your brain censors and stops the pain. Well I didn't know that untill recently ,and since I was still in pain I thought I'd come off it.My GP told me it was doing something or I wouldn't be in so much pain,but my argument is it has not completely stopped the pain so I can have a better way of life.So I thought why take a drug that isn't completely doing it's job.(I also take a lot of other drugs ) but as I'm comeing down the pain is getting more severer.I just wondered if it would become a bit more bearable once I was off it.Ive been on Meberavine and every thing else,I'm also awaiting on an appointment for Hypnotherepy.But in the meantime I'm really suffering and my GP a waste of space.sorry for going on so long but I just though I'd try and explain a bit more,and that's just the half of it.(I think they thought as IBS was getting me down aswell Mirt would help with depression ) Wrong again .
    • Posted

You did'nt go on so long at all.  I think I can only sympathise with you.  I can understand yoiur wanting to get off Mirt if you don't think it's helping.  However you say you can cope with the more "normal" withdrawal symptombut it's the IBS pain you can't stand.  So unfortunetly I don't think there's really anymore advice or personal experience I can relate to your situation.

I do wish you all the best though and snicerely hope you find a medicince or other method (Hypnotherapy) to help you.

regards

• Posted

Hi Norma,

Withtrawal effects from Mirt are nasty. I'm sorry I can't be of much help but I clearly remember a lady who stopped mirt and her IBS came back even worse and her main problem was tummy ache but she persevered with some help of other medication or something (no antideppresant!) and was then very happy and greatful. Go through all earlier posts but also use google for search. If I find her I'll let you know her cure! Good luck

• Posted

Thank you I would be really grateful 
  • Posted

I've recently googling for easier ways to get off AD...and I found a site called the Prozac bridge....basically you start taking the Prozac while getting very low on the dosage of the other AD and no withdrawal .....and then it takes a few weeks and you stop the Prozac...anyhow why not google it..

Prozac bridge....several people swear by it

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.