Mirtazapine withdrawal

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hey guys, as some of you will know I started a discussion on the withdrawal of mirtazapine, as saddened as I was to hear of the suffering some of you were going through I counted myself lucky not to be experiencing the same, however, after being off mirt for just over 3 weeks the only WD symptom I had was major itching, I'm now sad to say that sleepless nights, stomach cramps, diarrhoea has now set in, it's nearly 2am in my country & all I want to do is clean my house so it's fit for my kids when they get up for school, I'm even considering taking a mirt to just get some sleep but I know then that I'll eat & eat & eat & feel worse about myself in the morning, to all of you that are suffering, I wish you well very very soon & my thoughts are with you all xxx

2 likes, 39 replies

39 Replies

Next
  • Posted

i am sorry to hear that.  i can't believe the effects of this drug.  sending you prayers from canada
  • Posted

Brandy I am so sorry to hear that you are feeling so bad.

What a blow to think that you had 'escaped' the awful effects of WD to find you are now suffering.

I hope that this will pass very soon and you will feel much better.

Best Wishes.

• Posted

best wishes from wales know what you are going through no sleep either awful stuff...with you about the late night eating and feeling worse in the morning wish u well..take care
    • Posted

Thank you all for your kind thoughts & wishes, cannot get out of bed today, feeling pretty low xx
    • Posted

oh love i completely understand those bed days are awful..thinking of you if thats any help you are not alone on here even if you feel like it ..hang in there it will pass eventually i keep telling myself that....posivive thoughts coming at you xx
  • Posted

So sorry to hear of your pain, just when you thought the "coast was clear" and had escaped the dreaded wd !  I wonder what method you followed to wd Brandy?  I mean over what time span/15 30 45 mg ???

Thinking of you and hoping your torment will soon be over.

Best wishes

• Posted

Hi calmer, was taken from 45 to 30 to 15 over a period of months & really didn't suffer at all, docs took me off 15mg as weightgain is now affecting my health, really considering cutting a 15mg in half & trying that every other night, I really really need to sleep, I'm a single mum & really need to be in some sort of functioning state for my kiddos, thank you for your kind thoughts x
    • Posted

hi brandy,

any luck with sleep?  imam not able to sleep much even with the help of some other drug.  i just want to be better. how are you?

• Posted

Hello suzie,

Being unable to sleep is torture & makes an already struggling mind & body struggle even more.

I gave in last night & took 7.5mg of mirt as well as zopiclone & had a fairly decent sleep. What meds are you on again suzie? X

• Posted

i am on 15 mertz, 100pregablin, and then something called quetiapine that he gave me foe sleep.  however, i have not been able to sleep much.. very poor sleep.  i see the psychiatrist on tuesday.  the zipiclone had stopped working for me .. omg ... i don't know how much more i can take of this.  i don't mind staying on 15 mertz but i need help for depression and sleep.  i want to check myself into a hospital... but i'm sure they wouldn't keep me.  it's been 5 monthsot trial and error drugs!
    • Posted

Hi suzie, just thought I'd check in with & see how you're doing, if I remember right you have a psychiatrist appt today/tomorrow depending on the time with you, wishing you the best of luck with it, let me know how you get on Hun

Xx

• Posted

Wow 3 weeks later! that's crazy!!! Makes me wonder if my diarrhea today is a WD symptom or just simply the Metformin I am taking... or a stomach bug.

How are you feeling today? Are things getting better? Wishing you that things get better soon!!

• Posted

Hi mermaid, how you doing? I'm doing well, I caved in to the WD & took 7.5mg of mirt purely for sleep as I was going crazy with tiredness, I've been taking it every other night, not sure it's the right thing to do but if I get sleep every other night I can cope with it lol, in next few weeks I'll try to leave it for 2 nights & see how I go from there.

Hope you're doing well x

• Posted

Brandy, how are you doing? Why not try 3.75 mg every second night? You may get better sleep. So hard rolleyes keep going x
    • Posted

Hi lee, how are you keeping? not doing too bad, didn't take mirt last night & had very little sleep, I'd need to ask GP for the smaller as I'm breaking a 15mg in half, think it would shatter if I broke it anymore lol, thank you for your thoughts
    • Posted

Hi Brandy

Have you tried asking your GP for liquid form? I was advised to "stabalise" on liquid before reducing, just a thought.

Hope you're having a better day smile

• Posted

Hi calmer, how are you doing? That's a good idea, I'm going to try & get appt with GP tomorrow morning, though with our GP's you need to know 4 weeks in advance that you're going to need a doc, so fingers crossed I get lucky & can grab an appt lol.

After reading through lots of posts on here & websites I can't help thinking that GP shouldn't have just stopped mirt at 15mg even though she increased AD, but what do I know eh? Thank you for your kind, kind thoughts, hope you're keeping well xx

• Posted

Hi brandy,

what is the reason for leaving mirt? I reason I ask is you might be better off staying on a,very low dose 7.5 or 3.75. And just leave it at that. Just a thought.

• Posted

Hi rose

Thanks for your message, reason I'm off mirt is the huge weightgain which is now affecting my health, I also felt well enough mentally to come off it, I do 7.5mg if I find I can't get to sleep but try to keep it to at least every other night or two nights, I cut up a 15mg & to cut it any more than half & the thing shatters lol

Hope you're well

• Posted

Brandy having gone of mirt and been off many months now you did the right thing stay with 7.5. Don't push yourself. Wait it out and don't feel you need to WD for now. I say keep with it because the WD is very difficult. So trust yourself and good luck ❤️
    • Posted

Thank you rose, I'll keep plodding along until I'm off those dreaded things for good!

Hope you're well x

• Posted

Hi Brandy

I'm pretty "stable" on Mirt 15 for now, still feeling awful wearing this "fat suit" thhat has appeared over the last 9 months or so ggrrrrr.  Still get  fatigued some days but most days are pretty ok - resting helps coz' it was over doing it that got me to the state where I needed Mirt in the first place.  

I'm hoping, when the time comes, or feels right for me to wd (says she who is scared to even think about it) that liquid form is available to us - I know it's made.  Could ask at the chemist I suppose if it's available on prescription !

Best wishes to yo Brandy, wishing you well

• Posted

Hi calmer,

The 'fat suit' is awful, just over 3yrs on mirt & I'm 4 stone overweight!!! Glad to hear you're feeling relatively stable, resting does help a lot, I slept for 3hrs yesterday afternoon & thought well there goes my nights sleep but thankfully with 7.5 mirt I have to say I had the best nights sleep I've had in weeks!

You'll know when you're ready to come off it, as scary as the WD are you'll feel you've accomplished something when it's done & you'll feel great, also you'll see weight coming off which is a big boost too 😊

I spoke with GP yesterday & explained my WD symptoms only to be told that it's impossible I'm in WD after 4 wks off, 2wks is max WD!! I'm no doctor but I must be very ill if that's the case lol

Stay strong lovely lady, best wishes to you too xx

• Posted

GP's know little or nothing about Mirt' wd .... so annoying to say the least!  

Thanks for your kind words, I wish you some respite and good nights of sleep, that beautiful thing we used to take for granted ... where did it go!  

Have you thought of asking your GP for liquid form, it will help to measure/lower the dose more accurately maybe.

Stay strong, wishing you well x

• Posted

Hi calmer

I haven't taken mirt in 2 nights - feeling ok, slept a bit better last night....yippppeee tonight will be interesting maybe I can squeeze a 3rd night of no mirt, I'm going to ring my GP on mon & fingers crossed I get my usual one, didn't find the one I spoke to a couple days ago very helpful at all, will ask if mirt is available in liquid form & hopefully (very hopefully) I can get a lower dose that way as you kindly suggested.

Hope you're keeping well, best wishes xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.