Mirtazapine withdrawal

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hey guys, as some of you will know I started a discussion on the withdrawal of mirtazapine, as saddened as I was to hear of the suffering some of you were going through I counted myself lucky not to be experiencing the same, however, after being off mirt for just over 3 weeks the only WD symptom I had was major itching, I'm now sad to say that sleepless nights, stomach cramps, diarrhoea has now set in, it's nearly 2am in my country & all I want to do is clean my house so it's fit for my kids when they get up for school, I'm even considering taking a mirt to just get some sleep but I know then that I'll eat & eat & eat & feel worse about myself in the morning, to all of you that are suffering, I wish you well very very soon & my thoughts are with you all xxx

2 likes, 39 replies

39 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

My mirt WD didn't happen till 14 days off the mirt. So yes it can happen later most people report a week or two weeks but those couple weeks after the last pill are fine and then blam, you get hit with the mirt brick. So sorry you are in pain. It's awful. Trying getting something for sleep? Benzo? Or something for nausea zophran...im in America so the drug names change unless you are here  too hehe.

keep posting, it's helps ❤️

• Posted

Hi Brandy, was wondering how you are doing? Did you stay on the 7.5mg? I hope you are feeling better and getting on ok. Stay strong 💪 and thinking of you!
    • Posted

Hi lee, how are you keeping? I had a lengthy conversation with GP about WD from mirt only to be told that I was basically talking rubbish & that WD lasts 2wks max, my symptoms are due to stress & tried to double the Effexor & stay off mirt, Told him I didn't need to double dose of AD as I'm feeling well mentally, needless to say there was no budging him, so I'll have to make do with breaking my 15 in half & hope for the best when they run out lol

Thank you for your thoughts

Hope you're well x

• Posted

Hey there Brandy, glad you got to see your Dr, but I do wish they would listen to us.I am so tired of being told it is all in our heads sad Are you alternating nights? I have gone down from 7.5mg to 3.75mg for the past few nights and I feel like rubbish. Going to try and skip tonight and see what tomorrow brings. I am terrified of not sleeping all over again. good luck with your stash. Hoping to get some advice here as to wether to stick with the 3.75 for another week and then alternate. I don't quite know what to do rolleyes . I know my Dr will just say go up to 15mg, so not even going to ask him. I will follow the suggestions of my fellow sufferes who have taken the med. 
    • Posted

Hi lee, felt very annoyed yesterday after speaking with GP, I'm telling myself I'm getting better mentally & generally feeling it & he's telling me I'm not!!! Yes I'm taking them alternate nights, the night off isn't a decent nights sleep but not as bad as no sleep at all & pacing the house all night, I really don't know how to advise you lee as it seems this awful drug affects us all in different ways & at different stages of WD, are you feeling unwell generally or low mood? If it's low mood could it maybe be you're not ready to lower mirt? I'm going to try GP surgery on mon & hopefully get my usual Dr, (be a miracle if I do) & see if he has a different approach.

Stay strong lee you're doing great x

• Posted

Hi Brandy, I am ok mood wise, just feel like this med is not worth the trouble it causes when you need to stop it. I can't stand the way it numbs me for most of the day and then I am exhausted in the evening. Just blah. Since I haven't been on it for an extended period, I am hoping to get off lightly with the discontinuation. Wishful thinking? Anxiety is my issue, and insomnia, and I can already feel that I am waking up earlier, so no real point . Glad you seem to be doing ok . Sending much love x
    • Posted

How long have you been on it lee? I felt numb for a good couple months when I was first on it, but was also doped to the eyeballs with other meds so I can't say if mirt was the whole reason for being 'lights on nobody home' if you get my drift lol, would your gp give you anything else to help with sleep & anxiety rather than mirt, is this the first med you've tried? Could you say to GP that you're feeling more anxious on mirt therefore making sleep even harder than usual? glad to hear your moods good but after many sleepless nights it can get you down & bring mood down, I wish I could be of more help, big hugs x
    • Posted

Hi Brandy, please take extra care, I agree with Rose, don't rush off Mirt, withdraw slower than you think you need to or you MIGHT get hit with a very big wd after 2 to 3 weeks and I hear it's beyond anything you've experienced before.

Take care, thinking of you, Calmer

• Posted

Hi calmer,

Hope you're keeping well. Thank you for your kind words & message, I came off 15mg was doing really well then BOOM WD set in! So now I'm back on mirt every other night by cutting pill into quarters, WD seems to have eased so hopefully in the next few weeks I'll be off them completely, that's my aim anyway lol

Take care xx

• Posted

What a darling you are. I have sadly not tolorated SSRI/SNRI meds before.I weaned myself off Celexa after 3 year pretty easily. All seemed well for another 3 years on no  AD meds, and very occasional Xanax. Off I went to Dr complaining of anxiety and insomnia earlier this year in March. Decided to give BRintellix/ Trintellix a try. Didn't work out after 3 weeks of nausea and vomiting. He then suggested Rem 15 mg. Was so desperate for sleep that I didn't care to do my homework regarding withdrawls etc. Lasted 3 weeks at 15 mg. Next visit noted that I was feeling like a zombie. Halt to 3 weeks of Mirt and onto Lexapro which sent my anxiety off the wall. Phoned him, and he suggested starting Mirt again and increasing weekly from 7.5, To 15 and then we would reassess. Started last Monday on 7.5 and the sleep was wonderful. This time I simply could not handle the numb fatigue feeling while I am working 12 hour shifts at a hospital. Decided that there has to be a better way than this! Started decreasing this week. I really am wondering after this mess of a few months has caused my brain so much confusion. I know I have not got to theraputic doses of anything, and I find the side effects as bad if not worse than my anxiety. After reading through this forum, I am wondering if what I thought were start up effects of Lexapro  (nausea and terrible itching) were not from abrupt discontinuation of Mirt. Surely a Psychiatrist would know this? I am dumb struck that he never suggested anything about withdrawls and said just stop the Mirt. He has obviously never taken these meds, and has left me with a broken head. Not sure about my next move, but going to skip tonight and see what happens. Good luck to you honey. Stay in touch and let me know how you are doing. Your support is much appreciated 👍
    • Posted

Aww thank you, been a long time since I was called a darling lol. It's not nice to have a broken head & anyone that does has my deepest sympathy, it's a very misunderstood illness, people tell you to just pull your socks up & get on with it are absolutely no help at all.

I, like you didn't do any homework mainly because I didn't have the ability to function let alone research & secondly I was just grateful for anything I was given that would help me out of that big black hole I was in, in fairness mirt did help me (along with other meds) to get where I am today, however, had I known then what I know now I would never have touched the devil mirt! I've noticed a lot of people on here say that the lower the dose the more sedated/tired it can leave you the next day, just a thought?

I don't see a psychiatrist anymore am only under GP, though it was GP that told me to just stop mirt as it was a low enough dose not to be doing too much (15mg) no mention of WD!

I too am skipping tonight & have been to the chemist for an over the counter sleeping tablet so will try that tonight.

I hope you find a cocktail very soon that will work for you,

I'm here to listen even if I can't help

Take care xx

• Posted

Just wanted to mention I was WD cold turkey from mirt put on Lexapro got very ill. Both dr and myself thought it was the lexapro but when it kept happening with anything new duh it had to be the mirt WD. I wish looking back I would have stayed at 7,5 ever other day because after WD was real bad for me. Good luck n expect your doctor to know anthing Merck is the maker of mirtazapine if you google it they have s help line for patients

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.