Mirtazapine withdrawal? 6 weeks off.

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi guys and gals,

I'm happy that I found this website.. Makes me feel like I'm not totally alone in this :-)

I was on Mirtazapine 7.5mg for anxiety and insomnia for more or less 1,5 years. Tried to go off a few times, but it never worked out.

This time I did a slower taper...

From 7.5mg to 3.75 for 6 weeks - no trouble

From 3.75 to 1.8something (hard to make smaller pills than 3.75) for 6 weeks - not much trouble although I was a little fatigued.

And then from 1.8mg to ~0.9 for a few weeks until I said to hell with it because they were tough to split to this size.

So 6 weeks ago or something I took my last dose. It went alright the first weeks I think, I don't remember complaining about it during that time.

Right now though I'm facing broken sleep, VERY fatigued, and some anxiety, and I guess being fatigued makes me depressed.

Is this still withdrawal or is it something else cooking?

Any anecdotes?

0 likes, 41 replies

41 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi,

For some  people MIRT  can be difacult to get off of  ,I don’t want to scare you or anyone else but  I am on my 5th month and still struggling , but do not despair as everyone is different your age and health and attitude are a big factor. There are no anecdotes, sometimes you will have to dig deep inside yourself.  You may have to seek spiertuel up lifting as I have done to help get through this. I guess want I want to say to you is do not despair or give up hope, I  have read many stories of people getting off the MIRT and as everyone will have a somewhat different journey getting off the MIRT.

Good luck

• Posted

Do you think it is possible to get off this med if you put your mind to it and realise it can be six months till you feel a bit better?
    • Posted

I gave myself a year to stabilize. I’ve heard the sleep is generally the last thing to stabilize. 

• Posted

Hi Ann

I do feel a lot better than the first two or three months off, the big one for me is sleep, no sleep causing anxiety, and having anxiety and fatigue have a tendency to distort reality, which causes depersonalization, again I don’t want to scare anyone; it can be different for each person.

• Posted

Good to talk to someone who has gone through this withdrawal.

i am not sure if its the small dose of mirtaz causing the anxiety or if it will get worse when i drop it.  I use valium to control it a bit, 2mg on rising in morning.

i see you are feeling better now but the first three months, did your dr try to switch you onto something else, i am afraid if i say i am feeling bad they will do this.

i just want to ride it out but i am scared the illness has not really gone and the anxiety will be untenable.

• Posted

Hi Ann,

Try not to worry and do not despair, once you get off the MIRT your mind and body will start to heal, for some fast, for others more slowly. You should be fine.

Take care.

• Posted

Moved down to 2mg last week. Nausea back today after a period of respite. Have you any thoughts on how you got through these bad days.
  • Posted

Hi jeffy 1, wondering if you were able to totally withdraw.  I have been on 7.5 for over a month. Feeling terrible pain in my left lower abdomen and nausea every morning.  I am thinking of using CBD oil to help. Has anyone done this?

• Posted

Would like to hear how you are doing now? have you managed to stay off mirtazapine? and have withdrawels settled?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.