Mirtazapine Withdrawal

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello Everyone

I have been on 30mg for 8 years now and since June I started my withdrawal at 10% every 4 weeks.

3 days ago I started 15mg and today I have been feeling drowsy.....

Please has anybody has this experience when withdrawing ? Any advice will be appreciated

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Charles, congrats on your getting down to 15 mg. Yes, this happens, the drowsiness, a common withdrawal effect as you get lower.  For me it happened around 11 mg.  I'd wake up, sit at the table with coffee, put my head down on the table and fall asleep again!  Major fog.  It passes.  Hang in there!  I'm down at 4.2 mg now and don't have it.

• Posted

Hi Betsy,did you manage to get liquid mirtazipine to taper? And what was your starting dose?I am down to 18.75mg from 45mg since May,which I had been on for nearly six years by cutting with pill cutter and reducing by roughly 25%but suffer terrible nausea,diorheah etc at around 8 days for coulee weeks after each reduction,but can come reappear.when I reach 15mg would like to take it more slowly by reduction of 10% if my GP allows liquid,will just have wait and see.well done on your reduction,what was your starting dose before reduction?
    • Posted

Hi Betsy,

i am now down to 3.75 having tapered from 7.5 whichnhad done nothing much for me over three years. I am still having bouts of nausea and the odd diarrhea but my main problem is the depression still seems to be hanging about..  i am also getting unreal dreaming in REM sleep. These things have been with me throughout and i am wondering if they are part of my illness or if i will have them forever, do you get any of this.

• Posted

Hello Ann.  I am not totally understanding the depression part you write of.  Did it come back or was it always there?  I have heard the dreams can be crazy.  Mine have been so so. I'm not to freaked out by them.  I do experience some depression that I see as a withdrawal symptom.  For me, I took mirtz to sleep and did not feel like I was ever depressed though my doctor said I was.  Weird huh, do you believe your doctor or yourself? I believe in me.  I have dealt with some depression here of late but again, see it as withdrawals.  Good luck. It'll get worse before it gets better.

• Posted

Do you mean that the next reduction from 3.75 down will make things worse before they get better?  I think if i can get liquid mirtazapine it will be easier.  With regard to depression, i only feel this because i feel so unwell, and from withdrawal.

i only hope the nausea will abate as time goes on.

• Posted

Hi Ann I’m exact same I’m on 45mg and the dreams and nightmares are shocking! My depression and anxiety tho are very much there all day every day so the mirtz isn’t touching my depression or anxiety I’m lost as to what to do only thing they do is make me go to sleep but still battling severe anxiety and depression 😭

• Posted

I gotcha Ann. I am in a similar boat. I am feeling some depression also tough I did not take mirtz for depression. Took it for sleep.

As far as the "it'll get worse before it gets better" part, I guess I am speaking of when you are totally off the meds and your body and mind adjust to this. I tapered as you are and experienced no depression or diarrhea but definitely had withdrawals when I switched to 3.5mg. I did begin dealing with stomach pain but only when I was totally off. Remember, the gut produces most of the seratonin in our bodies so it makes sense that stomach issues are par for the course. You'll get through it. My stomach issues come and go but mostly I deal with depression and insomnia. Sometimes it's to much to bear but I'm gonna stick it out.

• Posted

Correction: though instead of tough.
    • Posted

Hi, another one of us in same situation.  Now i am down lower my ibs has kicked off and i have nausea a lot.  Sleep,is not good down on 3.75. Dr will want to give new anti dep i think.  Do you use valium for anxiety?
  • Posted

You have done well on your reduction.can I just ask if you suffered any withdrawel on the 10% taper method? And if so what were they?
  • Posted

You have done well on your tapering.can I ask if you suffered any withdrawals with the 10% taper? And if so what were they and how long did they last? Also just wondering your reason for coming off this medication after 8 years? I have been on mine nearly six and worked well for clinical depression but now canot cope with nightmares and bizarre vivid dreams.
    • Posted

Just wanted to say i am down to 3.75 for last five weeks. I cant stand the nightmares etc either.  Been on them three years low dose.  Want to know if the depression and anxiety will return if i stop completely.
    • Posted

Not really but am now on 15mg for1 week now and I feel drowsy. I read it will fade off
    • Posted

Well you are doing very well on your taper Anne.maybe taper last bit at 10% reductions like Charles,and maybe you will not suffer too many withdrawel symptoms,or at least not as bad.As for the depression returning,that is a bit of an unknown.

I too am afraid that the depression may rear its ugly head,and that terrifies me,but I did not take decision to taper down mirtazepine lightly,would have in fact stayed on it for life it if it had not been for such awful nightmares,that you could not live with.

you just need to be really honest with yourself,and look out for any feelings of depression creeping back in,and if so then you must see your psychiatrist or GP to try an alternative antidepressant or treatment.

• Posted

I am sitting tight at 3.75 but having a lot of nausea which i dont know if after ten weeks is still withdrawal or something else.  Depression lingering a bit espeially when i wake.   Am concerned if this is anxiety related.
    • Posted

Sorry to hear you are still having nausea.

The withdrawals on this drug are really not nice.I am now at day 17 following last reduction from 22.5mg to 18.75mg,and the nausea,vertigo lightheaded feeling had started to go,and felt quite good for a couple of days.now today,I have horrendous headache,completely unresponsive to cocoa old and also Brufen,so just have to ride it out.the withdrawals seem to come and go until eventually they subside.

Maybe because you reduced by 50% from 7.5mg to 3.75mg,maybe that's why you are suffering severe and prolonged symptoms.

Hope you start to have more good days than bad.

• Posted

How's the mirtazapine tapering going? I'm down from 45mg to 22.5mg so a way for me to go,but doing well.be nice to know what dose you are now on? and any tips?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.