mirtazapine withdrawal

Posted , 7 users are following.

I started mirtazapine was on it for 9 weeks, 15 mg for 17 days, 7.5 for 41 days felt better doc said just quit I asked about tapering he said take 3.75 for 5 days and quit , I was off for 31 days and week 4 and 5 got really bad, high anxiety and panic attacks, I reinstated at 7.5 for 12 days then cut down to 3.75 for 31 days, I am just starting 1.87 now, my question is how will be my withdrawal this time. I was only on 7.5 for 12 days, tapered to 3.75 for 31 days and now on 1.87, would like to stay at 1.87 2 or 3 weeks then quit

1 like, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

i came off 15mg for 12 years just fine, i used gabapentin, klonopin, phenergan, and zofran, insomina lasted a whike but now im off gabapentin too.

• Posted

i just started 15 yesterday, do the stomach discomfort and drowsiness go away KMJ

• Posted

Hi, I think everyone s tapering is different. I've had no probs apart from bad sleep and Thats getting better. I think withdrawal is mainly to do with your body adjusting to no meds and then go in panic mode thinnking I can't do this, hence increased anxiety, aches and pains , insomnia etc. mirtrazapine only stays in system between 20 and forty hours, again people are different in how long this med will be excreted from your system. after a few days I thnk 5 days is about the max then all this med will be gone. then you brain has to start to function on its own and u can go into panic mode thinking all sorts. I've been fine and thinking positive thoughts, exercise, doing mindfulness etc. if however withdrawal is hard. stay on dose that keeps u right. surely been calm and able to function is better than the alternative. It's quality of life that's important or not having a life. I know which one I would choose.

• Posted

how long were you on mirtazapine and at what dose, what kind of taper did you do, when you tapered did you have any withdrawal after each time your dose was lowered

• Posted

I was on 15 mg for 7 months. tapered half dose 7.5 mg for 4 weeks then half of that which is 3.75 mg for 4 weeks. then I took that dose every other day. then every 2 days then every 3rd day etc until taking it once a week for couple of weeks. I then stopped completely. this was done under my doctors advice. dropping from 15 mg to 7.5 felt weird., more anxious, shaky, aches all over but nothing I could not handle. I knew it's just my body and mind adjusting to lower dose. going down to 3.75 mg I did not notice anything. sleep was even ok. now on nothing and feel fine. my sleep is not good but I take valaren tablets from herbal shop, melatonin or a antihistamines if desperate. Things are improving though. like I say everyone is different in withdrawal and tapering. so don't compare yourself with others and make yourself more anxious. just get on with things and see how you go. I used pill cutter to cut pills from local chemist.

• Posted

once you started taking 3.75 every other day how many weeks did you stay on it, then every 2 days how many weeks did you do that.

• Posted

Hi, i took, 3.75 for four weeks every day for four weeks. Then I took 3.75 every other day for a week, that works out 3 times in one week. then 3.75 every 3rd day for a week, that works out twice in one week. Then every 4th day, so that is one in 7 days. all that's changing after every 4 th day onwards is the duration of days between each dose. once I reached one every 7 th day I stopped. hope that makes sense.

• Posted

yes it makes sense, this is day 5 of 1.87 for me , doing ok, some withdrawal I see my doctor this Thursday, I'm not sure how long I should stay at this dose till I taper again, any ideas, once I taper again I am going to see if he lets me do it your way, thank you, how are you doing now, how long have you been off it

• Posted

Hi would stay as you r for another couple of weeks then see how u r and may be stop. I'm doing ok. sleep is the big issue for me but it is getting better. all in all I feel back to normal. morning anxiety getting less, still take the odd propanolol or pregablin to help with that. I'm on such a low dose of the two that I think it's mind over matter that's keeping me ok and not really the medication.

• Posted

why are you coming off it? i just started yesterday 15 for sleep.

• Posted

I was on 15 mg for 17 days , it was to strong for me and doc said I could go 7.5 was on that for 42 days , felt good and I also do cbt counseling they said it was a good time to quit, I didn't taper the first time , doc said just take 3.75 for 5 days and quit, I lasted 31 days and had to reinstate at 7.5, was on that for 12 days then 3.75 for 31 days now at 1.87, I am trying to be med free, I started taking it for anxiety and sleep

• Posted

DID it help for anxiety. i started pristiq 12 days ago. using this for sleep and anxiety.

• Posted

yes it did quite a bit, that's why I got better , I couldn't sleep because I had anxiety so bad. I liked the 7.5 dose , for sleep I also take 10 mg melatonin every nite, seems to help me, I'm now just on 1.87 and hopefully be off soon

• Posted

Mark, I've started my withdrawal this week, I have been on 15mg once a day for the last three years. I'm going down to 1 every other day for 2 weeks, then 1 every 3 days for another 3 weeks etc. I will keep you posted on how i get on!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.