Mirtazapine withdrawal and brain zaps

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hi

I’m on week 5 off Mirtazapine and having brutal withdrawals, increased anxiety, depression, can’t eat , nausea, some muscle twitching in the morning, waking early and feeling crap about the day , crying spells, no appetite I’m also having brain zaps that feels like a second of a short circuit in my head that leaves me feeling sick and a bit dizzy, some people on these forums say these brain zaps are the brain trying to get back to life without Mirtazapine, has anyone else experienced these ?

Please reply if you have and if they go away , I feel scared and almost at my wits end.

Taking Diazipam to help with the withdrawal but feel like it’ll never end 😩

Matt 

2 likes, 167 replies

167 Replies

Next
  • Edited

Hi Matt,

those are wd symptoms and at least I have had many of those and lot more!

You will get through! It takes time but gradually those symptoms disappear.

• Edited

Hi timo

The brain zap thing frightens me , all the other WD are awful to and are really getting to me , I’m trying so hard to stay positive and count the weeks down , when will it all end , it’s so hard I keep freaking out that I’ll never get through this.

I tapered off Sertraline first which wasn’t to bad although not pleasant but this Mirtazapine is horrendous to WD from 😩

Thank you for replying to me , I seem to need so much reassurance at the moment.

• Posted

I'm the same I need constant reassurance everything's going too get better your not alone how's your sleeping xx

• Edited

I fall asleep ok , think that’s because I’m worn out with fighting to get through the day ! But I wake several times , sometimes with hot flushes (I’m female, matts my nickname) I normally get back to sleep but wake around 5 am then can’t get back to sleep and just lay there scared of the day a head ! 

I’m taking Diazipam in the morning and at night sometimes I take one during the day to when I think I’m going insane! 

• Posted

Everything your saying is sane as me although I broke down in doctors day begore yesterday they had too do something I hadn't slept in 3 weeks just 50mins here and there felt I was going crazy n wanted desperate help I was in a bad bad way anyway they've prescribed me zopiclone it's helped so much I have had 2 nights of 9 hours sleep I'm so much better than I was 2 days ago. I just wish n pray these withdrawals end soon. Thinking of you too xx

• Edited

I had similar WD symptoms.  I was on Mirtazapine for one month @ 7.5 - 11 mg, and after 2 weeks decided to taper off as I knew the drug was not going to work for me long term.  I tapered down to 3.75 and even 1.875 mg.  Then discontinued completely.  After about 3-4 days, I started experiencing brain/body zaps.  It was scary, but apparently this is quite common with antidepressant withdrawal.  Like you I was scared and praying that these effects wouldn't be permanent.  Fortunately they were not.

One thing you may want to distinguish are what are known as "hypnic jerks."  I still have these and they occur at the boundary between sleep and awake states.  It feels like you are falling.  The sleep doctor tells me these are normal.  I don't necessarily believe that because I never had these hypnic jerks prior to incurring my most recent health issues.  In the short term, take a benzo to help you to get to sleep.  That's what I did.  Or possibly consider low dose Ambien.  Let us know how things go as I can understand how frightening this was for you.  Mirtazapine is a scary drug.

• Posted

Hi 

Thank you so much for replying, it’s a terrible thing this WD.

I’ve never been so depressed and anxious before, I went on meds during a blip in very low mood due to stress at work , I’m not able to work at the moment so life is very different for me.

I’m normally such a strong person but this Mirtazapine WD has turned me into a wreak! Hoping it’ll pass soon so I can work on getting a life back , at the moment I won’t even go out !

• Edited

I was on disability recently myself and just resumed work.  The psyche meds really mess you up, almost worse than the disease.  I'm so happy to be off Mirtazapine - the drug was horrible, made me completely unproductive during the day.  Since discontinuing (and now that I am not experiencing WD symptoms), my life has become better.  I am able to function.  I just completed my 3rd week back at work. 

• Posted

Hi John 

That’s amazing so well done you , be proud of yourself 👍

I worked for over 35 years , the last 24 in a stressful job, I haven’t worked since November, it’s crushing not being able to work or even enjoy not working!

I’m 5 weeks off Mirtazapine and praying things improve soon so I can get a life again. This drug is so easily prescribed but they don’t tell you the hell it is getting off it !

Thanks for your supportive post , we’ll all get there 

• Posted

Yeah, I don't think I could have worked while taking Mirtazapine.  It just makes me want to lie in bed all day.  Getting out of bed was very difficult.  I was taking it because I had loss of appetite and insomnia all due to recent breathing complications from the flu.  I lost a lot of weight and was worried about losing more so they put me on this drug, even at a low dose.  It helped my appetite and initially it helped with my sleep (sleep benefits soon wore off).  The side effects were not worth the benefit.

I started to feel semi-normal after about a week. I suspect you may have been on it longer than 1 month (as was my case) so it will likley take longer to get back to normal.  Hang in there.  Take care of your body as best as you can; eat healthy food, take some supplements and try to get some exercise.

• Posted

I meant to say, "I started to feel better after 1 week ... after discontinuing the drug completely."

• Posted

Hi John 

Yes 5 months in total , some people don’t get withdrawal, wish I was one of them .

Glad it’s all behind you now and you have got your life back on track 👍

I try to get out for a walk every day and when I can eat I make sure it’s healthy, I’ve got supplements too so hopefully this won’t last to much longer 🤞

• Posted

Hi Karen 

Not great tbh , I started HRT on Monday and it’s making me feel really sick , it does day nausea for a couple of weeks but that I’m top on the Mirtazapine withdrawal, anxiety and low mood is making life such fun!

Seen mental health nurse yesterday who will speak to the psychiatrist on Monday about me but there’s not really a lot they can do I suppose, it’s all trail and error 😩

Had appointment with PIP yesterday, they came to the house , I applied for it months ago , could do with the money as my hubby doesn’t earn much and I just can’t work at the moment, so wish I could as I’ve worked all my life !

How have you been, better I hope 🤞 

• Posted

Yes a lot better so far so good touch wood they t.v. me a small dose if diazepam 2 times a day now was 3 times and a sleeping tablet at night made a massive difference r u sleeping the diazepam took away the nausea too xxx have u tried the diazepam xxx
    • Posted

Hi Karen 

So pleased your getting some relief and things are looking more positive for you , well done for asking for help.

I’ve been up and down last few days , started HRT which is making me feel nauseous but people say it does to start with.

Antidepressants just don’t seem to help me , I’m really sensitive to meds and have had some really bad reactions to some AD, even had seizures on a couple of them.

I do use Diazipam , mornings and at bedtime and sometimes another during the day if I’m freaking out but I try not to take extra. If the HRT helps all taper off the Diazipam but will do it very slowly.

Hope you’re having a great day 

• Posted

The diazapam definitely calms me down and I think maybe even helps me sleep a bit better it's early days just hope it all works out I've got nurse again in morning theve been so helpful which I got referred too them from the start. Hope your nausea passes soon it's just horrible keep me posted on how your doing hopefully we will both be well again soon xxx

• Posted

Hi Karen 

I’m not as bad as I was but still have anxiety and feel pretty miserable, it’s only just two weeks on the HRT and I lowered the dose for one week so I can’t expect miracles!

Trying to get out at least once a day and trying to stay positive and busy.

How’s u ? Hope all is still going good 👍 

• Posted

I'm doing ok a lot better than 14 days ago back at work tomorrow just too start with doing 2 days a week for a wee while. Have a look on Amazon for a book by Dr rangan chatterjee it's called the 4 pillar plan I was recommended it and its been sooo good n helpful I'm on page 64 already it really is quite assuring keep in touch we will get thru this xx

• Posted

Hi Karen 

So pleased for you and hope your first day back at work was good , and it felt good to be around your friends again 👍 

I’m still crap but only two weeks in on the HRT so waiting to see how that helps , the estrogen should give me better serotonin and I’m trying to up my exercise to help to.

Had a bit of a meltdown this morning, hubby is taking two weeks off work to help support me , to scared to try another AD because last two gave me seizures.

I start councilling next week so hopefully that will help to.

Keep pushing on Karen your doing great 👍 

• Posted

That's wat happened too me I had a meltdown went too go had a meltdown there too they contacted mental health crisis team nurses came out straight away n my husband had too take time off too felt better with him there keep in touch hope u get better soon xx

• Posted

Hi Karen 

Slow progress, HRT needs time to work.

Been really tired and had nausea but trying to keep up my fitness plan of exercise and getting out for more walks.

How’s you ?

• Posted

I hope u get there soon I really feel for you it's awful. I'm back at work only 2 days tho really don't think i would of got there without the help from mental health team. Xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.