Mirtazapine withdrawal and weight loss

Posted , 6 users are following.

hi I stopped 15mg mirtazapine cold turkey a week ago. I feel great except the dread that the symptoms will be kicking in soon . my gp says I should not suffer as I'm taking citalopram . has anyone been lucky enough not to get withdrawal symptoms? also how long has peoples weight took to come off? thanks in advance

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

a week is early days. not everyone gets withdrawals. i d give it 4 weeks to be sure.

the doc is wrong about the citralopram

• Posted

I thought he might be . they don't seem to know what they are talking about ! I'm feeling really sick today so maybe I didn't escape that easy

• Posted

hello.

I only gained one pound.. It came off fast. I do run, hike, walk, golf, play sports. I also park far away anytime I shop, to be moving and exercise.. i eat small portions about

3-5 times a day. Small, so the stomach is not stretched out, feeling hungry. Small portions is the key. Like in Europe. Never have seen many overweight people there.

Never. Over eating is an American disease.

• Posted

So true. Being an American, not only is our portion sizes part of our obesity problem, but also the quality of our foods is bad. We have a major problem with processed foods/fast foods being the main "go to" junk for most people here because it is convenient for them. Plus the glysophate (pesticides from Roundup Weed killer) is very harmful to our bodies and gut lining, which creates a whole array of health problems.

• Posted

I also exercise and eat healthy but I gained 2 stone 😪. did u have any side effects after stopping ?

• Posted

Amy, everyone's body is different to how it responds to medications and how it responds to coming off of them. I can only say from experience, that when I came off of Mirt, I was started on Amytriptaline (sp?) and I came off Mirt very slowly ... slower than my Dr said to. I didn't have any withdrawal effects other than now I don't sleep very well. 😕

• Posted

...oh also I gained about 20 pounds (US) & I've been off of Mirt about 3 weeks now and haven't lost a pound yet 😦

• Posted

Most of these psyche drugs cause weight gain in many, many people... Another prevalent

theme is many people have sleep issues, where as before they started on these medications,

or have been off them, they have sleep problems.. Obviously, doctors should be aware of

these common, very common problems.... yet they continue to prescribed the so-called

medications. We wonder, what happened to people with emotional and mental issues, before all these medications with severe side effects ? ? ? Is talking therapy better in the long run ? ? ?

Perhaps it was... Maybe people got better through time, without side effects lingering

over there lives like a dark cloud.

• Posted

I was hoping to hear the weight just fell off 😂😂

• Posted

Lol... I hear ya. But I've always been overweight...since birth 😄 and have struggled all my life to get it off. It's easy to gain, but a struggle to lose 路

• Posted

Agreed. You would think so, about what Dr's ought to know. They just know what they're taught from a textbook so they have "tunnel vision"... with no thinking outside the box. Plus, it's a money maker for them to prescribe meds. Everytime I see my GP, I feel like she's trying to prescribe me the flavor (med) of the month. eyeroll

• Posted

True. Doctors want to make money. They have to pay off their

debts from expensive colleges. And , can they "eyeroll" if they

have tunnel vision ? ? ? ? ?

• Posted

Everyone i know, that was overweight lost weight by eating less quantity.

They tried every fad diet. Every new trend. Nothing worked, except less

food. It is difficult, but can be done. Eating less quantity is the only thing

that worked. This is the secret behind Weight Watchers. People eat less

food, shrinking the stomach, and then wanting less and less, and less.

The stomach has to shrink, sending signals to the brain, that it is not

hungry. Eating small portions 2-5 times a day is all that worked to lose

weight. Eat nutritious food. Not too much junk.

• Posted

the last time i was on mirt i hardly ate and exercised! i still gained weight!

• Posted

I guess genetic is a big factor. I was always thin, handsome and very active.

VERY active. Sports, playing outside, running, jumping, walking, golfing 36 holes a day. ( about 14 miles walking ).. sex, love, hiking, skiiing, parties, always outside playing...making love, Most all my life always outside.. Rarely inside..My friends and i loved being outside... But, genetics is definitely a factor. It is 40 %... 60% is lifestyle.

• Posted

Correct.. but there is a lot of walking between tee boxes to

greens.. back and forth on greens reading putts, from clubhouse

parking to course, from looking for lost balls 😃.. to hitting

the 19th hole in the clubhouse.. 😃.. to walking back to hit

balls from the original point due to out of bounds shots.. ..

So i measured 7 miles for each round with the silly fit bit..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.