Mirtazapine withdrawal dizziness

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hey all

So I stopped taking 7.5mg 33 days ago. I was on 30mg for 5 months and tapered to 15 for 2 weeks followed by 7.5 for 2 weeks before stopping.

The first 2 weeks were ok, a little insomnia maybe, week 3 things really ramped up, 24/7 nausea was the worst symptom together with some anxiety, towards the end of week 3 the dizziness kicked in and if anything it's getting worse as i head towards to week 5, the nausea has subsided though and my appetite has returned, sleep is mostly ok but last night I didn't get any!

I started a new job around week 3 and somehow I am turning up everyday with the help of stemetil when things get really bad!

Has anyone else had horrid dizziness coming off this rubbish? Please tell me it won't go on forever, I'm getting towards the end of my tether now sad

I think I just need to talk to people who understand how hard this is

Paul

0 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I never really experience dizziness but I had nausea and vertigo along with horrific anxiety. I know how scary it is and you probably think it won't go away because that is exactly how I felt but you just need to ride it out and things will get better smile It frustratingly just takes a long time. Talk to people on here though, they are awesome and they really helped me get through it all smile
    • Posted

Thanks Sandy, you are living proof that it does get better! 
  • Posted

Oh wow, thanks for sharing your experiences Paul!

I have just stopped taking mirt 15mg two nights ago and replaced it with a similar drug (chemical structure and effect) at the same time. Both meds are so similar, they have very similar side effects, so I can't tell which one is which.

I am feeling fine most of the day, but experienced some discomfort in my stomach yesterday and a slight headache last night (though I was taking a crafting class that required a lot of concentration).

So week 3 was nausea, week 4 nausea and dizziness, week 5 worsening dizziness, less/no nausea.

That's really interesting and I am wondering what ride I am in for. Ugh.

I have heard that a few people here have had issues with withdrawal a few weeks after stopping mirt. So you are not alone. But that of course doesnt make you feel better.

I am pretty sure to have read that after 8 weeks things should be out of your system and back to normal. Mirt has a very long half life and binds to plasma so it just takes time and perseverance.

Hang in there buddy! You can do it!!!

Best

B/

• Posted

Wow! Quick replies! I must admit I generally shut down and don't talk to anyone when I'm feeling bad, not cool I know..thanks for replying, it's genuinely made me feel not so alone already.

Yes it really does feel like it will never end, I keep thinking 'it's almost 5 weeks how long can it last'

I came off Citalopram after 12 years and it was nowhere near this bad! Never will another mirtazapine tablet pass my lips..

The worst bit is probably having to pretend I'm ok at work, and making up excuses to my friends when they ask me out somewhere. Feeling pretty alone and in need of a hug!

I'm rambling on now!

• Posted

Keep rambling! You came to the right place! Anyone here can feel with you and knows at least somewhat about how you feel and what you are going through. It's in my experience the most important thing in recovery: having people around who know what you are talking about!
    • Posted

You're right of course! For some reason I instinctively shut down. My friends wouldn't understand how it feels, apart from one that has had similar issues and has been great smile 

thanks for listening!

• Posted

[...”So I stopped taking 7.5mg 33 days ago. I was on 30mg for 5 months and tapered to 15 for 2 weeks followed by 7.5 for 2 weeks before stopping”...]

Paul prior to taking Mirtazapine ...how were you?

Are ANY of current problems the same or similar to any of those you may have have before?

Feel for you ...I'm feeling and have been feeling lousy too ...we may have differently dressed demons ..but we like many others fight our demons. Who knows when they decide to come a visiting and which other evil friends they'll decide to bring along to torment us!

Peace

• Posted

Hey Karl

I was grieving when I went on them, I came off of them because they caused joint problems and. Have dealt with the grief. I also practice mindfulness daily which has been brilliant for my mental health.

The only thing getting me down is the dizziness. I would be out cycling/swimming/walking if I could!

• Posted

Mindfulness practice! Yes!!! It's been my saviour too! So good to calm my mind and focus on the important things. And live.
    • Posted

Do you use the Headspace app? I find it brilliant, although at the moment no amount of mindfulness makes me feel better!
    • Posted

I do sometimes. It's great! But I also have mindfulness guided meditations on my ipod and love those! And a number of other similar mindfulness meditations for depression, selfworth, body imagine, better sleep etc.

I would have never thought they would help me this much!

• Posted

I would say mindfulness is life changing, for me it's the realisation that my thoughts are just brain chatter and I don't have to buy into them! 

Have you read Ruby Waxs' book 'Sane new world'? It's brilliant, she talks about her experiences with mindfulness.

• Posted

no i havent, but I'll have a look if our library carries it! Thanks!!
  • Posted

Oh and does anyone else's head feel like it's gonna explode?! Pressure headache? 
    • Posted

Hey Paul, I am currently withdrawing from Mirt after 3 years on it. Two previous attempts I felt that bad I kept thinking my depression was coming back and just stayed on them. This is my third attempt and i have so far made it down to 7.5mg. Withdrawals from this are a joke. I took was on Citalopram for years and never had a problem but this one is dredful. I feel like crap most days and my anxiety is difficult to control. I am absolutely determined to come off these but live in fear just how bad it could be. Mentally I am so much better, but the physical symptoms are a pain. I was given Propranolol to take which I think do help a little with the anxiety. I just find it hard to believe that this drug is so hard to get off there isnt anything to help us off it. I was offered a prozac bridge which I have read is supposed to work really well but i've not gone for that option yet. Would you say you feel better mentally for being off the mirt? Wishing you well

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.