Mirtazapine withdrawal effects

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've been weening off Mirtazapine from a high of 45 mg down to 22.5 and tried 15 mg but I've felt horrible and feel like I'm walking around in a daze and only getting about six hours of sleep a night. Has anyone else had this issue and can you tell me what to expect going forward. Thanks!

2 likes, 32 replies

32 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I feel tired around lunch and early evening after dinner lately is this also a possible withdrawal symptom and my appetite has been too much lately and find myself forcing myself to eat.
    • Posted

Yes fatigue is right there at the top as one of the most common side effects of Mirt' - both whilst taking it and also whilst withdrawing from it.  The lower doses, paradoxically, causes more fatigue.  Although tiredness after eating can be natural right?

Are you saying your appetite is absent Rob?  Thats odd if so because most people have an increased appetite whilst on Mirt and put on weight.

• Posted

My appetite has gone down a lot and I'll start feeling tired or dizzy before lunch and dinner as well as afterwards. I know it's sounds weird but I've been getting this for a couple days now.

• Posted

I imagine this is from the drop in Mirt and when you stabilise at the current dose you should level again.  I think you're right to make yourself eat, that should make you feel better, when I get hungry I just have to eat, skipping a meal is not an option, like I've never eaten before, thats how Mirt' affects me.

Little and often I think, Mirt' seems to mess with the blood sugar levels.  Do you drink alcohol Rob?  Mirt and alcohol don't mix well, maybe one glass, ugh .....

• Posted

Hopefully it's just from the lower dose and I'll level out soon 🙏🏻. I don't drink at all with the Mirtazapine because the one time I had a couple of beers it knocked me for a loop. I haven't really felt more sedate at the lower levels and felt more sedate at 30 mg. I guess I just do everything backwards from most people.

• Posted

Hi .ive also lost a bit of weight since withdrawing,7llb exactly,in 3weeks. I eat to feel better,no appetite at all,

I had a couple of glasses of wine tonight and agree with Calmer,it doesn't mix one bit,

When I'm trying to rest to go over to sleep I feel that the Anxiety keeps knocking me back out to being awake,has anyone else suffered with this?will it go?

Tried to sleep without Zopiclone tonight but I've had to take another dose. This is so weird.

I'm not working at the moment nor am I getting much housework done,doing my hair and makeup is a chore,infact everything is a chore,I'm just feeling too weak. My get up and go has got up and gone!

I'm waiting for all this to go! When/if it does 🙏🏻You'll all be the first to know!

When myself and my children lost there father we were suffering badly,I had to go on Antidepressants,thinking back It was very easy to get them,too easy! I wish I'd had some therapy instead,gone to meetings,talked about how it had affected me.

Instead I'm dealing with other issues like this. Hindsight is a great thing I suppose,I just wish I'd known of the dam side affects before I'd started this horrendous drug!

• Posted

You've had a tough time, if only doctors knew to tell you to taper more slowly, I cannot believe how many people suffer coming on this and many other AD's/anti psychotics, benzo's.

Its really hard going cold turkey, I know what you mean about anxiety keeping you awake with sudden "high alert" zaps, it will get better in time, these are wd symtpms, so horrible to have to go through after all that has gone already.

• Posted

I agree,there's too many people having to suffer wd symptoms.

There should be an indepth information sheet discussing side affects and the dangers of stopping abruptly,

This should be made law,no prescription of this sort should be given without a detailed discussion with the Gp prescribing.

Suddenly stopping Mirt is really not the best way to move forward,

You hit the nail on the head when you said it isn't for the faint-hearted.

• Posted

The problem is that in the UK GPS and pharmacists rely on the BNF. It lists side effects but doesn't discuss withdrawal. So GP's etc think withdrawal is easy and straightforward.

• Posted

We're getting into the mine field of the huge Pharma £$million pound profits now ... doctors are not allowed to call it "withdrawal" or admit any dependany - they are maimly sponsored by the drug companies !  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.