Mirtazapine Withdrawal Gastrointestinal Symptoms

Posted , 17 users are following.

Wednesday makes 5 weeks since my last 7.5 Remeron. I am still having cramps and intestinal churning with trapped gas & bloating. Also, the Mirtazapine must have played a part in my blood pressure/heart rate, as I am having, since stopping the pills, trouble stablizing my BP/HR on the same medicine/dose that I was using prior to stopping. I have been on the heart medicine for at least 8 years. The sleep is improving, and the Phenergan is helping with the nausea. Anyone else having GI issues this long? I have IBS, but this is beyond that.

1 like, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Edited

Well, your post had made me even more dubious about taking this stuff.  I did notice in the manufacturers' info on the net that it's not recommended if a person has had heart problems and/or high blood pressure and I do fall into that category, although my gp does know both have been stable for some time.

I'm thinking I'll get into the daily meditation habit again - I stopped because my mind was racing too fast, but I'm planning on starting at 5 m and workng up to the twice daily 1/2 hour meditations - at least that never has side effects!

• Posted

Hi Jude,  yes I agree with you; having been on Mirt since last September I have found daily meditation a

lmost as helpful if not more so than the meds.  Bring peace like never before doesn't it?

• Edited

jude, in all fairness to my doctor, I didn't have the heart problems when the medicine was prescribed, which leaves me to wonder if the mirtazapine had anything to do with my blood pressure going up. My family has a history of B/P being borderline low. The same goes for the rhythm issues. Today is my 5 week anniversary of going off the mirtazapine, and I would not advise anyone to take the stuff, unless there was nothing else that will work and their quality of life depends on it. My opinion only. I am still having withdrawal symptoms, mostly gastrointestinal, and the sad thing is that you have no way of knowing whether it is the withdrawal or something serious that popped up during the withdrawals.
    • Edited

I am having the gastro problems, painful and like uncontrollable acid at the start of my stomach. I started to reduce a bit slowly but my GP said to just stop altogether. I hope these symptoms go away soon.

Can anyone here reassure me of the withdrawal from mirtzapine being manageable please?

I do also get restless leg from the withdrawals I think

• Posted

Hi David, I've been off for 2 weeks now and my upper guts are in turmoil, I can't stop thinking it's something serious but the docs have checked me out. Looks like its WD from the Mirt!
    • Posted

Can you please describe your stomach symptoms for me as I am completely off of it as of 8 nights last night and before while being on and now after being off of it I have bloating and at times my food doesn't lay right and when that happens I drink water and then purge so the pain will go away.

• Edited

I to am having lots of gi issues to,I am down to my last 7.5 of remeron. I am almost off it.I don't wanna sound gross but I haven't been able to pass any gas,and I am bloating up and very uncomfortable and sleep has been tough these few nights,I was feeling great 4 days ago,I feel like I did a complete 180!
    • Edited

Kristine, if you are starting withdrawal symptoms and are just taking your last pill, then you are in for a tough time. It has been 39 days since I took my last 7.5. Do you have a doctor guiding your way to get off the mirtazapine? You are going down the same road that we all do. You think everything is going fine and then within a week all hell breaks loose. If you need to go back on the medicine and get a dose that you can handle, and taper from there, do yourself a favor and do it. I went cold turkey and just stopped, and it was a huge mistake. Get some medical help or advice on tapering off that stuff, because if you don't, then you will reach a point where you will wish that you had.
    • Posted

Hi thanks for your response,I first starting tapering a month ago around my birthday,around March 2nd or so,I started tapering from 30mgs,and I had some discomfort,not to bad,I cut back to half of 30,then a week later cut back to 7.5 and was ok,not to bad,then when I cut the 7.5 I had some sleep issues and was feeling energetic for the most part,then I ended up getting a stomachs virus on Easter and I felt very off. I am just having some light headedness so I went back to taking 7.5 so I can stabilize on that for a while. Hope this works out.this last cut wasn't a piece of cake! sad
    • Posted

It sounds like you have a workable plan. From my experience, and research, sleep issues and abdominal issues as well; cramps, spasms, pain, & nausea are going to be a part of any taper, no matter how well planned and executed. It just helps with how severe the symptoms are if you taper instead of abruptly stop like I did. Any change in the chemicals in the brain, no matter how small, is going to effect your body in an unpleasant way. At some point there will be the "last pill" and then a few days later withdrawal starts. Wednesday will be 6 weeks for me, and I am still having symptoms, not bad, but enough to know that I don't feel like my normal (the books use the word sober) self. I wish you the best at getting to the other end of this. If you can get your doctor to write you a prescription for Phenergan, it may help with the gastrointestinal issues, particularly nausea. It has helped me greatly.
    • Posted

Thank u so much for the advice,I will ask my doc about it at my next visit. How did it make u feel when u first took it?
    • Posted

I assume you are asking about the Phenergan. It made me a little drowsey, a little "dry mouth", and it got rid of the nausea and stomach cramps. And, I have only taken 1/2 pill at a time so far. They are prescribed at 1 pill 3 times a day, and I only needed 1/2 pill once per day. If you are referring to the Mirtazapine, it was almost 8 years ago and I don't remember. I hope this was helpful.
    • Posted

Yes it was very helpful thanks,I was referring to the stomachs pills. What is the name of them again and how do I get them? What do I tell my doctor? I don't want her to think I'm just looking for pills.😕
    • Posted

The name of the medicine is Phenergan. He also gave me Tylenol 3 w Codeine for pain, but I haven't needed them. In the US they have to be prescriptions from a doctor.
  • Posted

I have been on Mirtazapine for 3 1/2 weeks now. The 1st week I noticed I had a ravenous appetite where I was eating one thing after another never getting full. The 2nd week I looked like I was putting on weight, like my face was fatter and my stomach was bigger (I had a baby almost 4 months ago so I am already super self conscious about my weight). I forgot that my Doctor had told me that one of the side effects is weight gain but I've rarely ever experienced side effects with any medication so I didn't think it would happen. Then and there I should have declined taking this medication but I didn't. Week 3 I woke up one morning and my stomach was even bigger like I had gained 10 lbs over night. I just thought it was because I haven't been eating the best since I had my son and now its finally caught up with me but my stomach started getting bigger and bigger by the day! Now its been 3 1/2 weeks and I'm having stomach pains and I look like I'm 7 months pregnant again. Finally I googled if Mirtazapine made anyone else bloated and BOOM it has happened to alot of people. I wish I would have looked into it sooner but I talked to my Doctor today and he said to just stop taking it. I was only on 15mg a night. Hopefully my stomach will deflate soon : /

• Posted

same here. i went from a uk 8 to a uk 12 in three months and gained two stones . im not so bothered about the weight gain but my stomach is huge and round and ive never been like this before . 30th sep will mark one month since i stopped mirta but my belly hasnt gone down at all

• Posted

Have you by any chance stopped bloating?...Please tell me there is hope.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.