Mirtazapine Withdrawal Gastrointestinal Symptoms

Posted , 17 users are following.

Wednesday makes 5 weeks since my last 7.5 Remeron. I am still having cramps and intestinal churning with trapped gas & bloating. Also, the Mirtazapine must have played a part in my blood pressure/heart rate, as I am having, since stopping the pills, trouble stablizing my BP/HR on the same medicine/dose that I was using prior to stopping. I have been on the heart medicine for at least 8 years. The sleep is improving, and the Phenergan is helping with the nausea. Anyone else having GI issues this long? I have IBS, but this is beyond that.

1 like, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

How is now?

I've been on Mirtazapine for 10 months and now I'm tapering off, from 15 to 7.5 and God those symptoms... I started to feel anxious again, especially in the morning, I have "angry" legs and weird dreams and nightmares, but that's okay, I can handle it, as long as I don't go through a panic attack, everything is manageable. My doc said to go on with 7.5 for 3-4 weeks and then to stop taking it, but I'm on the second week and my intestines started to be "noisy" 24/7, my digestion is bad and I am bloated all the time.

Is this getting better with time? My IBS is actually what put me on Mirtazapine form the start, and now that I experiment GI symptoms again, I am a little afraid.

• Posted

im almost 2 weeks off mirt. the withdrawals suck . i wake up with extreme anxiety . makes me gassy . nausea , diarreah , no appetite at all and slightly lethargic . i started from 15 mg too . really wanting to take mirt again to stop these things but i know ill have to do it later . i always feel like im about to have a heart attack or something serious is going to happen and i always tell myself "its the withdrawals" . this is a evil pill .

• Posted

Hi David,

I’m on day 5 off and the gas and upset stomach is a little wild. The gas was as, if not more, intense than my third trimester of pregnancy.

I started and ended on 7.5mg and have only been on then for four months tom help with my PPD symptoms after having my daughter. Did you just stop as well? My doctor said there was no lower dose to taper to and to just stop and monitor my mood. sleep has obviously been difficult, and the gastrointestinal stuff sucks, but other than that my mood has been okay. you reporting that sleep is getting better gives me so much hope! any tips?

• Posted

Came off Mirtazapine 18 days ago after being on it for only 6 weeks and the last 10 days have been pure hell. Came off it due to massive weight gain and becoming incredibly irritable but had i known how bad the withdrawal effects would be i wouldn't have bothered. After the first 3 days the nausea kicked in which have been on and off since , 3 more days later and i have had horrible IBS symptoms that are still affecting me. Haven't eaten much for 2 weeks due to the constant stomach cramps/spasms, bloating and lack of appetite. Anxiety also massively worsened so i've gone through a couple of panic attacks where i got it into my head that the symptoms are something life threatening. Brain zaps and electric-shock feelings across my entire body have started to kick in the last few days too so all in all it's been one of the most horrible experiences i have been through. I've come off a couple of other antidepressants throughout the years and they were never as bad as this, not even close. Now taking medication to help with the IBS symptoms and insomnia but it's still a pain.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.