Mirtazapine Withdrawal- Hang In There

Posted , 14 users are following.

Hi Guys,

Just wanted to give some hope to those struggling with Mirtazapine withdrawal.  Long story short I was given WAY too high a dose of mirt. to help with occasional insomnia a few years ago and my body had a terrible reaction (Constant Anxiety, Depression when I had never been depressed before, etc.) I told my psychiatrist that I wanted to come off and they said I could come off of 45mg cold turkey (which is a laughable statement in hindsight) and thats what I did.  I dropped to 7.5mg immediately and stayed there until coming off completely.  Que the most difficult few months of my life.  The main effects of WD were really intense depersonalization/derealization, suicidal thoughts, occasional panic/anxiety, and just general confusion.  I've been off mirt. for about a year and a half now and I'm just starting to feel back to my normal self.  I want people to know that it can take a really long time for the WD effects to go away, but if you listen to your body and mind you WILL see it through.  Just take it as slow as you need to.  This whole experience actually has led to some of the best times of my life, and i wouldn't have made the lifestyle changes I did unless that happened.  Here are some of the things I did to help me through the WD:

-Meditation(LIFE SAVER)

-Asked my Doctor for small amount of Ativan to help with the anxiety in the first few months

-Explained my situation to my family/friends

At the end of the day know that there's nothing wrong with you and you will get through this smile. Much love to you all!

7 likes, 100 replies

100 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

This thread has given me a glimmer of hope. The fact you've managed to come off and stay off based on your experiences is a huge achievement!

Im currently on day 40 something of mirtazapine free. Regularly debated whether Im just mentally deranged many times now! Hanging in there though.

• Posted

How is everyone experiencing their withdrawals? Is it constant? or are you fluctuating between feeling good and having anxiety episodes?

I'm experiencing waves. Ive felt great for 1 month after stopping, then had a 2 week anxiety episode which was severe. Now im feeling ok again. Not sure If this is anything to do with the mirtazapine ive been on for 6 months.

• Posted

I'm the same I have waves of being good n coping n other days I feel scrappy x been off them about 5 weeks now x

• Posted

Thank you. I started weaning off 6 medications, Oxycontin, Oxycodone fentynal, effexor, and mirtazapine. 1 year and a half ago. I saved the Remeron (mirtazapine) for last. It's been about 8 months since my last piece of mirtazapine, and it gets better, but I'm still going through withdrawal depression, and Windows of sunlight. My doctors don't understand withdrawal depression. All of them want me to take an SSRI or SNRI. It's been a long battle, but I'm in for the fight. A great help was reading "waves and windows" by James Heaney. Google his name or the title. It takes courage and strength to get through this. Everyone be well, and hang in there 😎

• Posted

Hi I’m now only six weeks off mirtazapine and my waves are coming more than windows but I’m not giving in it’s the head pressure and zaps that are so hard 
    • Posted

Hi Stuart, what dose of Effexor were you on, and how long were you on the Mirt for ?
    • Posted

I was on 150mgs. of effexor for about 25-30 years , and mirtazapine for about 25 years.
    • Posted

Hi Caroline, how are doing? I've been off mirtazapine now nearly 3 weeks. Was only on them for 14 weeks. Still getting brain zaps but getting better, horrible feeling! How long does it last? 

• Posted

I’m off mirtazapine just over eight weeks now and I’m still getting them 

I was on them for over a year so maybe that’s why they’re still there you may be lucky and not have them too much longer 

Keep it up your doing great 

• Posted

Im on around week 10 of being off Mirtazapine now. I took it to tackle severe anxiety back in july last year. Spent 6 months on 15mg and tapered over 2 months.

So far Ive had around 6 good weeks and 4 bad weeks. My waves come on when I get stressed and can spiral downwards for a few weeks before getting better. When im not going through a wave I feel great.

Im aiming to get more windows than waves, and starting my therapy again as im still getting panic attacks come on when Im feeling low. I think mirtazapine has only blocked my symptoms whilst on it which ill need to resolve without drugs if im to recover. I have a beautifual partner who is always there for me when Im taking a bad turn.

Hope everyone else is doing well.

• Posted

It takes courage that you obviously have to tackle an ssri/snri medication. After being completely off mirtazapine for over a year now I'm learning many different things. I have found that it takes time, and determination, if you're fortunate enough to have support, take advantage of it and speak with those who will listen, and take this seriously. It's going to get better! Hang in there for a new start in your life! ??????👍Be well, Stu A.

• Posted

So you would say you’re in a better place than you were last year Stuart  ?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.