Mirtazapine withdrawal, how long does it last?

Posted , 179 users are following.

Hi, Just looking for some reassurance/support. I was on mirtazapine for about 6months. I went up to 45mg and decided to taper down as I felt they were making me worse and the weight gain was nasty. I felt fab tapering down and generally, its been better than I anticipated however, I'm approaching the 3rd week off of mirtazapine and have started to feel a bit anxious the last few days. I've read withdrawal peaks around the 3/4week mark, so I'm trying to stay positive that it will pass.

15 likes, 803 replies

803 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

hey I been on mirtazapine 7.5 going on 4 years now. it is making me gain weight a lot and I don't like this medicine at all. I hate taking this medication because all antidepressants make you gain a lot of weight and I am taking antidepressants I going to see if I can get off of all my medicine's but I will hard to I hope you can do be safe about this... God blessed y'all all

• Posted

I have been taking Mirtazapine 15mg for 2 weeks and feeling anxious . My GP and I decided to stop them and try another antidepressant. 24 hours after stopping them I had massive panic symptoms palpitations , surges of fear and fizzing through body and around heart. Episodes of this have been happening for 2 days . I try to breathe my way through them but it is not easy to stay calm. I don't know how long this will keep happening and its very scary on my own.

• Posted

I was on mirtazapine for almost 3 years. during that time I developed pain in my hips and tailbone. I suffered terrible abdominal pain, and had difficult bowel movements, with either diarrhea, or my poop coming out in tiny ropes. at times the abdominal pain is so horrible that I ended up at the ER. I was only taking 7.5 toward the end, and then came off it completely. since then I have suffered horrible withdrawals. dry heaving, shaking All over, cold sweat soaking through my clothes, my heart racing and my blood pressure going wake up. unfounded anxiety and panic attacks. I was put in the hospital for a while, and was doing better, but now the symptoms soon to be back. my psychiatrist is treating me with lorazepam, to stop the attacks of shaking and panic, clonazepam to help me sleep, vitamin d, blood pressure medication, and I have started on a small dose of Prozac 10 mg and Wellbutrin 100 mg. the clonazepam does help me sleep, but I wake up nauseous sweaty and shaky, and have to take some lorazepam. I have smoked pot to help with my appetite, which is nothing, and I'm scared of all my weight loss.I'm really hoping there's something that we're going to do along the way that will make things better. I will never go back on mirtazapine again. since I have been off of it, all of my bowel and body pain has stopped, and that's a huge relief. I have regular bowel movements, and I don't wake up with horrible pain in my hips, abdomen, and lower back. I am being seen by a psychiatrist and a counselor, tell me to stick with it and eventually I will get better. every day really sucks. it's a good thing that I don't have to work right now. I could never do it. I can barely get things done around the house, and I have a hard time driving or going anywhere. I'm tired of forcing myself to eat. I'm tired of not being able to do things, to take care of my house, or even run errands. this medication is the most horrible thing that I have ever had to deal with in my life. no one ever mentioned what horrible side effects coming off of it could cause. they don't even have any idea of how to deal with the withdrawal effects. I feel like a giant science experiment. I'm going to stick to this but I'm really getting hopeless.

• Posted

I've gone through Mirtazapine withdrawal a number of times. I've found that my withdrawal timeline coincides with how long I take Mirtazapine for. If its for less than a month my withdrawal timeline is around two weeks to a month once its effects have left my system (10 days for me). If I take Mirtazapine for a few months to half a year then my withdrawal becomes very strong and lasts for around three to four months (the third and fourth month are much better).

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.