Mirtazapine withdrawal, how long does it last?

Posted , 179 users are following.

Hi, Just looking for some reassurance/support. I was on mirtazapine for about 6months. I went up to 45mg and decided to taper down as I felt they were making me worse and the weight gain was nasty. I felt fab tapering down and generally, its been better than I anticipated however, I'm approaching the 3rd week off of mirtazapine and have started to feel a bit anxious the last few days. I've read withdrawal peaks around the 3/4week mark, so I'm trying to stay positive that it will pass.

15 likes, 803 replies

803 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

HI, can i ask if you are experiencing nerve type pain in the top of your tummy, almost like a cramping ?. It only lasts for a few seconds but is quite horrible.

• Edited

I have tried to come off in the past but it was impossible. I want to try again. I'm on 45mg and wonder if taking a sedative like promethazine hydrochlorine may 'mask' the withdrawal symptoms and help with sleeping. I take mirtazapine at night.

• Edited

i have been prescribed them in the past, so it is a thing however, I had side effects from them

so couldn't take them. why not try for a couple of nights and see how you get on.

please go very slowly on your reduction i am on a reducing dose from 45mg but have had to stick as I am because the current situation is making me anxious. so 30mg + 7.5 mg

let me know how your getting on, its nice to know your not alone.

• Posted

Hi ericleo, just wondering if you are still on the 45mg Mitrazapine ?, and how you are.

• Posted

i have been prescribed them in the past, so it is a thing however, I had side effects from them

so couldn't take them. why not try for a couple of nights and see how you get on.

please go very slowly on your reduction i am on a reducing dose from 45mg but have had to stick as I am because the current situation is making me anxious. so 30mg + 7.5 mg

let me know how your getting on, its nice to know your not alone.

• Posted

Hey Rachel and everyone else who is currently still following this post.

I'm also just start to OFF mirtazapine from 45mg - 30mg - 15mg and today 0mg. I was on it for nearly 6 months and have decided to stop taking due to the massive appetite increase and weight gain too fast. However my Psychiatrist replace them with Lexapro. my first night off mirt hot and cold flashes, unable to sleep, any idea or advise on what could help to ease the withdrawal ? I'm worried after reading all the replies to this post mostly mention that I'll last months, that is crazy.

will keep you all updated.

• Posted

Hi MsSoup.

i am also coming off this medication at the moment and im down to 7.5mg from 30mg

May i ask, how quick you tampered down between doses like how long you waited between every drop.

also have you dropped 15mg each time and how you felt after every drop?

ive been dropping 3.5mg ( quarter of a 15mg tablet) every week from 30mg to where im at 7.5mg

hope you doing ok and would be interested to hear your experience.

cheers

• Posted

I have been taking 22.5 mg of Mirtazapine for a few months. I'm getting ready to taper off because of rapid weight gain. I'm gearing up to do this by taking an amino acid blend to lessen the withdrawal symptoms. I wanted to let people here know that natural Inositol (vitamin b8) and Choline help SO much with anxiety. I get mine on amazon. They both work rapidly.. within 20 minutes! Best to all!

• Posted

hi. I've never posted on anything but was looking on these forums before I quit and thought I'd post to give people hope. I'm 39 and have been on mirtazapine for 20 years and 6 months. I was really scared after reading these forums.....my experiences. I was on 45 mg for 5 years, then 30mg every day for 15 years. I decided 5 years ago to try and come off. I tried and went back on them after 2 days!! some people might say I didn't even try lol. so I went down to 7.5mg for a further 5 years and 6 months. with no tapering from 7.5mg and being on them over 20 years, I quit them 3 weeks ago. my withdrawal symptoms were nausea a foggy head and that's it for 3 days. I've been fine ever since. my only issue is it's taking me about an hour to drop off. I think tapering up and down all the time is bad for you. I reckon get down to a low mg for yourself and stick with it for at least a year and then coming straight off. I was worried sick but I feel amazing. in probably gonna annoy people who r really struggling with this, I'm sorry I just want people to hear a short success story.

• Posted

Hi Rachael,

I was on 45mg daily for just under 3 years. They really helped with anxiety and sleep, but I put on 3 stone in that time.

I stopped completely about two months ago (much against the advice of my doctor, but I'm fed up being fat and unfit)

The first week was easy as I think it was still in my system, the second week was absolutely torture. No sleep, night tremors, upset stomach, that anxiety feeling coming back. But I've stuck with it and it's gradually got better. I feel better now than any time in the last 3 years. My anxiety's back, but not nearly as bad as before, it's manageable now, and my sleep's still a bit hit and miss but also manageable. I make sure I get a little exercise and fresh air every day, try to eat well, and when I can't sleep, I stick a deliberately boring audiobook on. If it doesn't knock me to sleep, at least it passes the time away.

Stick with it, be confident it'll pass (cause it will) and you'll feel a whole lot better for it.

• Posted

It depends on how long you took the medication and the size of dosage. If taken for years, its going to be very hard to come off the drugs. Withdrawals will be dominant in your life for the first few months, but over time it gets better.

• Posted

Hi people, this is my experience so far,

I've been on 30mg mirtazapine for close to 3 years now because before that I was a drug addict to almost anything bar crack, heroin and psychedelics but I used them because it was a way of escaping my depression and anxiety as back then mental health wasn't really talked about especially in my family so once I got clean, I asked the doctor for mirtazapine as I'm also an insomniac, the only reason I new to ask him for them was as an addict I once asked another addict if he has anything to help me sleep and he gave me a 45mg tablet and said its called mirtazapine but only take it in half's as it'll knock me the fk out, which he was right, so fast forward back to speaking to the doctor, I told him this as I'm a very honest person and I'm not there to waste his time or mine when it comes to getting help and being opened with personal st, anyway I tell him I'd like mirtazapine and he obviously says mirtazapine is used for depression etc etc to which I replied why do you think I was an addict to escape how I felt etc etc, fast forward to being on them for maybe 2 years I'd started to realise they'd basically took away all my emotions so to speak. I also couldn't sleep without them at all, they'd make me feel really groggy in the mornings when I'd wake up, it'd take me a good hour to come round to the land of the living, it wasn't till recently I decided enough is enough I'm not depressed anymore (yay) I need off them, I've been on 30mg for 3 years and for 2 weeks I dropped down to 15mg and personally I've felt no real withdrawals bar whenever I've cut my dosage I'll get maybe a 2 day annoying, not sore, annoying migraine that won't fk off, anyway for 2 weeks I didn't tell the doctor I was cutting down as I wanted to see how my body would react and to my surprise from 30mg to 15mg I actually felt slightly more alive, now a couple of days ago I rang the doctor and told him I'm wanting off the tablets, and he said that's fine, I then told him if he could prescribe me 15mg and told him I'd already cut myself down so I no longer need 30s and he was rather shocked that I'd done it on my own (coming off drugs cold turkey probably made this process a lot easier for me compared to the average person) so now that I'm down to being given 15mg I'm personally having no withdrawals bar as I've mentioned getting migraines whenever I cut the dose, I do get the odd spike in anxiety but it's nothing I can't handle but for others just a heads up incase those attacks are more severe as I'm personally quite mentally strong especially when it comes to how to fight of anxiety attacks when I know whats causing them, but apart from that so far I'm doing swell ohh and forgot to mention mirtazapine made me gain like 3 stone which helped as I was like 7 stone because of drugs but, what I didn't know mirtazapine altered my taste whenever I hit the mirtazapine munchies as I call them so cutting down food is starting to taste different and my appetite is dropping, but last night I dropped to 7.5mg and slept like a baby just have a very annoying migraine today, but I suffer from cluster migraine all that st so the migraine in my eyes means I've gotten off lightly in terms of withdrawals so far, I'll keep anyone who actually wants to keep up with this thread posted as I get off the mirtazapine altogether, as most threads I've read are years old, hope this helps someone or at least motivates anyone to get off mirtazapine as they're actually not the best thing to be on they help you by dulling your emotions in my opinion and turning you into a zombie you may not realise it but they do.

• Posted

wondering how you are doing today or anyone who has tapered or is tapering off mirtazapine. i have been tapering a few months now and am currently on 2.2mg, get anxiety, insomnia, nausea, tinnitus, headache and body aches with every cut.

• Edited

Hey, I wonder if anyone experienced something similar.

I was on mirtazapine 15mg for 3.5 months. It helped me a lot with sleeping, but only for the first 2 months. I guess my tolerance to the drug got higher. So my sleep was disturbed again. I lost more weight than I was before starting the drug. Started having shaky legs, insomnia and really bad thoughts. So my GP put me on a double dose which i took for only 3 days. The reason was I felt more anxious than ever. It's not the right thing to do, but I didn't tell my GP how I felt and that I have concerns about mirtazapine effect on me. So I got back on 15mg, took them for 3 days and then stopped abruptly. I think it was day 3 or 4 when i felt like I'm going to have a heart attack (heart rate 120 for 8 hours straight and burning chest). Panic attacks started coming without any warning, and they were very physical and long lasting. It got better after about 8-9 days, appetite came back fully. However, insomnia is still driving me crazy. I am on day 17 now. I get really tired, almost exhausted and it has no effect on sleep at all. I don't want to be taking anything else for sleep, like valium, xanax, or any sleeping pills, as I got addicted to them before and getting off them wasn't easy.

Are there any natural remedies that helped any of you? Tried hot baths, lavender, valerian root, ashwagandha, long walks in the nature, meditation. Nothing seems to help yet. Is it going to pass at all? At this point I am pretty hopeless.

• Posted

I took Remeron (mirtazapine) for 8 months. It worked very well at first for sleep which helped me tremendously as I began treatment for bipolar 2. I recently decided to end using Remeron due to sexual side effects (elusive orgasm) and weight gain. I tapered from 15 mg to 7.5mg 3 months ago, then to 3.75 for 5 days, and now 0 mg for 8 days. I've been tired and had a dull headache and very nauseas. The other night I sweat in my sleep and had tremors and a vibration in my ear drums that was very unpleasant and frightening. But those worst symptoms only lasted 24 hours. I am fatigued, and my stomach is very upset, but Im hopeful this will be over soon. Im crying easily but I don't feel depressed. Here is my strategy for dealing with withdraw, and it's working so far:

I stopped smoking pot for now

I take an herbal blend sleep aid that includes GABA at bed time

I take a fish oil supplement

I walk outside when it feels very bad

Walking, movement, has been most helpful in curbing the withdrawal side effects. If you are feeling very bad after stopping your anti depressant, I highly urge you to go outside and walk for an hour. Do this as often as you need to. I also took tylenol for headache, but felt worse when it wore off. So walking is my best advice. Also, ginger ale.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.