Mirtazapine withdrawal, how long does it last?

Posted , 179 users are following.

Hi, Just looking for some reassurance/support. I was on mirtazapine for about 6months. I went up to 45mg and decided to taper down as I felt they were making me worse and the weight gain was nasty. I felt fab tapering down and generally, its been better than I anticipated however, I'm approaching the 3rd week off of mirtazapine and have started to feel a bit anxious the last few days. I've read withdrawal peaks around the 3/4week mark, so I'm trying to stay positive that it will pass.

15 likes, 803 replies

803 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hope you're doing well Rachael. Did you notice any weightloss once you started tapering off? As you mentioned the weightgain from Mirt is nasty, I think you still put it on regardless of the dosage.

• Posted

Hi, I wonder if you could give me some help, my life was nearly ruined by PTSD due to working with very mental health issues patients that finally took its toll on my own mental state while working for NHS, I am hoping to go back to work, as waiting to be redeployed.

I have just in the last 10 days came down from 45mg of mirtazapine to 30 mg, my side affects are awful, I nearly lost my mum in Oct 2019 luckily she pulled through, my PTSD made me frightened to go sleep my relationship with my partner is falling apart, my moods swings are terrible that I lash out, this isn't me at all, also if I take any alcohol I get the worse hangovers and nightmares, can any one give me any advice, I have been on them a year now.

I have been running 4 to 5 times a week its helping but still got that horrible feeling, also been off work over a year now also.

Can anyone help me before I lose everything?

contact me

• Posted

Hi sorry to hear that. Not sure why your GP would drop you from 45mg to 30mg and not 35mg - I would query that with them and maybe see how you go for a while on 35mg then taper off at a slower pace.

I don't drink anymore but maybe cutting the drink out for a while and see does that make you feel any better.

Just stay strong & try meditation after you get in from your running

I am on 15mg trying to come off and hopefully get back to my normal weight, I went up-to bloody 85kg cause of mirt and I don't even eat that much.

• Posted

Hi,

Thank you for your reply, I was speaking to my doctor yesterday, it was my fault.

When I spoke to him 2 months ago he told me to start reducing if you are feeling a bit better and exercise more which I have been so up my exercise and reduced myself thinking that's what he meant.

I got a right telling off by him as I came down too much and didn't realise this was the cause of my PTSD flare up.

When I say I drank, I meant it was sharing a bottle of wine on a Friday or Saturday and thought the wine was off, as I couldn't understand how anxious I felt and have been doing deep mediation for a long time, I have seen my CPN Today and got another telling off, so I have not to even contemplate coming off my meds for a year now at least.

Thank you for your reply, I put on weight also but as soon as I get out of bed in all weather's, I am jogging / running / walking this will help you lose weight also, I was told I could feel this for another 2 weeks.

I never realised how strong 45mg mirtazapine was and how dangerous it was to reduce, so I am sticking now with 30 mg since I have got this far.

All the best of luck Connor. Regards

Rosie

• Posted

My neighbours cat must be on Mirt so he's one big cat. Third day on 7.5mg all good so far, sleep is fine.

I'm on lexotan and cipralex too, so hopefully won't be any WD from the mirt.

Were you off them completely before you noticed any weight dropping?

• Posted

yes unfortunately, the first 2 times i was completely off before weight came off, the third time it made me so ill i lost weight on it.

• Edited

Hi Racheal,

just wanted to share my experience regarding withdrawal from Mirtz

As i had changed my dose several times i had various packs in my house and got the doses below by cutting tablets in half.

45mg cut in half is 22.5

30mg cut in half is 15mg

15 mg cut in half is 7.5

I was on 45mg for a good couple of years and mentally i felt so much better and so i knew it was the tight time to come off and i think that is probably the most important thing to say. But i did it slowly. and as i had taken the different doses i was able to reduce very gradually.

I took half a 45mg plus a 15mg together equalling 37.5 mg for a couple of months.

I then reduced to 30 mg for 8 weeks

after this i reduced to 22.5 mg for 8 weeks.

followed by a reduction 15mg for 8 weeks i then cut a 15 mg toenable me to take 7.5 mg and stayed on this for a good 8 weeks.

again followed by a reduction to 3.75mg

I then reduced this dose to every other day for 1 month and then moved on to take it just twice a week for a further month and was able to get off the medication.

before moving on at each stage i was sure i felt good before cutting down again and it did take quite a long time i know

but i managed to stay off and did not have the withdrawal that people talk about.

good luck to you all.

• Edited

Hey Rebecca that's great news, and it's not that long really for the benefit of getting and staying off it. I've been on mirt for 5 years at 15mg and have started tapering off it,. Cut down to 7.5mg for the last 3 days. I was going to just come off them after a while at 7.5mg but I might do what you did and come down to 3.75mg for a few weeks before stopping, thanks for your message.

• Posted

i wouldnt do every other day, everyone i know who has done that it has made them worse, also remember some people dont get withdrawal regardless of how they come off! i did cold turkey twice and was fine.

• Posted

not telling you to do cold turkey by the way, tapering is good 😃

• Edited

Thank you, I wish I had read this email before I reduced.

I will not to doing that in a hurry, I thought about dying all the time.

Lesson learned

Regards Rosie

• Posted

Yea the 7,5mg for a bit then down to 3.75 then off them, doubt I'll do the every other day.

@toria_07298 what mg were you on when you decided to go cold turkey?

• Posted

think you just all have to play it by ear really.

Also I did read that it can take between four to eight days for this drug to leave your system. depending on who you are.

wishing you all well. take care.

• Posted

Hi Rachel,

hope your okay considering .

i am also looking to tamper of the mirtazipine as its also making me worse all around big time.

i was subscribed for sleeping issue due to anxiety. I only been on this medication for just over 7 weeks .

i was for weeks on 15 mg and just over 3 on 30mg

i cant stand the side effects and i want to come off this medication .

can you please tell me how did you drop the dosage regarding time scales .

mu doctor told me to take 3 days the amount dropped over what time?

i know everyone is different but would like to hear how you done .

Many thanks and would really you

r reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.