Mirtazapine withdrawal, how long does it last?

Posted , 179 users are following.

Hi, Just looking for some reassurance/support. I was on mirtazapine for about 6months. I went up to 45mg and decided to taper down as I felt they were making me worse and the weight gain was nasty. I felt fab tapering down and generally, its been better than I anticipated however, I'm approaching the 3rd week off of mirtazapine and have started to feel a bit anxious the last few days. I've read withdrawal peaks around the 3/4week mark, so I'm trying to stay positive that it will pass.

15 likes, 803 replies

803 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

thanks for this all and keep it up  <a href="https://pickshayari.blogspot.com[/b]">bro</a>

• Posted

Hi Rachel I’m afraid I’m having a bad time I’m on venaflaxine 150mg slow release daily and was on mitazapine 45mg a night . Was on mitz for 9 months, weight gain was horrendous put in a stone so decided to taper finally going to 15 mg every other night came fully off 3 weeks ago felt great but unfortunately the last few nights iv woke alomost on the hr had horrible night sweats and the shakes and nausea feeling has been awful. I’m absolutely devasted as thought this wouldn’t effect me so bad but it is drs advice is to grin and bear it or go back on the 15mg and take one every other third night then taper to 7.5 she said they don’t do them but you can break them in 1/2. 

I got the tablets but I’m really really upset and dubious about going back on as I have put up with it for 3 weeks off them then few days just like this but I don’t really w t to go back on so I’m going to try and fight it as best I can. Sweats and insomnia isn’t so bad I suppose but the nausea and sickly feeling is the worst so will have to keep eating ginger nuts. 

Anxiety to be honest has been no different didn’t help even when on them really. 

Try and stay positive that’s what I’m doing surely it can’t be much longer no to be free of it all . Fingers crossed and good luck. Wish I’d of known before hand what it would be like should of done a bit more research but suppose when your at that point and drs give them out I just took them x

• Posted

Two years on mirtazapine but not working as couldnt get dose up,to 45. So slowly stopped six months ago.  Feel much clearer head but still have gastro issues and insomnia.  Dr has given me diazepam to help.  Hoping time will,clear it all.
    • Posted

Lisa I had a terrible time the mental health crisis team had too come too my house I hadn't slept for 3 weeks n never ate for a week I was extremely nauseas I was a complete mess they had too put me on venlafaxine. They also gave me diazapam too calm me down for 1 week three times a day n a sleeping tablet every night for a week too let my body rest. They said my body was exhausted. I've had my venlafaxine upped too 75mg twice a day n now back at work x

• Posted

I’m of it and now been of it for over 6 mths I tapered of to 15mg then cut that in half and took my time I also gained weight but has started coming of I have just gone back on a lesser one called lovan working great so far I need it at the moment because of my fibromyalgia and the stress of selling our house good luck stay strong you’ll definitely get there ❤️❤️❤️
  • Posted

I’m of it and now been of it for over 6 mths I tapered of to 15mg then cut that in half and took my time I also gained weight but has started coming of I have just gone back on a lesser one called lovan working great so far I need it at the moment because of my fibromyalgia and the stress of selling our house good luck stay strong you’ll definitely get there ❤️❤️❤️
    • Posted

I’m also on lovan as well finding it is working fine I’m sleeping much better no more WD I’ve been of Mirtz for about 6 mths feeling heaps better beside the fibromyalgia and spondylitis arthritis sending all my love to the ladies on here ❤️❤️❤️
  • Posted

Is a dizzy feeling and headache a withdrawal symptom? I was put on 15mg in April following a 16 week baby loss and emergency hysterectomy due to a hemorrhage. PPD & PTSD with anxiety isn’t pretty. I hate this drug. I’ve been weaning off since August. I only ever took 7.5mg because the whole 15mg made me too out of it. So  I started tapering by 25%. I’m currently on half of a half of a 7.5mg. I am tapering month at a time because first I tried cold turkey and a week in I thought I was dying. Withdrawals were horrid. So today my head feels swimmy and hurts. Anyone experienced anything similar?

• Posted

So sorry to hear your trouble 

I’m also in the middle of tapering myself 

I’m part of a mirtazapine withdrawal support group 

If your interested let me know

• Posted

I am taking 10mg tablet form of methadone for my fibromyalgia and spondylitis arthritis and arthritis was diagnosed late last year and take OxyContin for when I have a major flare up can you please help me I have heard that Saboxone can also help you with pain get me of what I’m currently taking pleases any advice would be awesome did you have bad WD while taking the  sub   Only taking the methadone for  pain relief tablet form for my fibromyalgia and spondylitis arthritis under my GP and rhymatologist 

Thank you so much wishing you all the best Wishes and love and light ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

• Edited

I have come back here because I promised myself that if things ever got better I would come back and give hope to those possibly going through the same hell I went through.

I was on Mirtazapine for around 3 years. Half the time spent on 15mg and half the time spent on 30mg. I'm not sure why I bothered to stay on the drug for so long because it really didn't help me at all. It made me angry, numb and frankly a bad person. The doctors kept telling me that I had to stay on them but after a while I said enough is enough and started coming off them myself. Didn't go cold turkey. I first started by cutting 15mg tablets in half, then into quarters, then a quarter every other day etc before stopping entirely.

The withdrawals you will experience will feel like hell. Severe anxiety, confusion, bad insomnia and I'm pretty sure I even had a manic episode (no I'm not bipolar).

All I can say is for anyone going through this, it does get better with time. As you're going through it there are moments where you think "this is life now" or "it will never get better" but trust me it does. I can't say exactly how long it took for me to feel back to normal. A few months to around 6 months. That will be different for everyone so don't worry about it. All I'll say is that a year on I've never felt better.

Two tips that changed everything for me:

• Vitamin B
    • Meditation

Vitamin B will help with brain fog. Take it daily as a multi vitamin. Meditation sounds a little stranger but give it a shot. It helps you stay in control and find a little more peace. It could even help with the insomnia.

Just keep going. If I can do it after 3 years on the drug then anyone can. Please ask for your doctors support before doing it and don't just start by yourself like me. That makes the process a lot harder. And never, ever quit cold turkey!

Keep going! You can do it.

• Edited

Hey all,

Thread is a few years old, how are you all doing? I'm on 15mg and going to taper down. Did you all experience weight gain taking this s**t drug? I quit drinking doing full detox, but was put on these in-case any depression from giving up the booze might kick in. Been on 15mg for 5 years.

Regards,

Conor

• Edited

yes, mirtazapine made me instantly starving after id take it. it also made my hair fall out.

• Posted

Yea same! Although the hunger lasted about 2 years then my eating went back to normal. However, the weight stayed on and even daily exercise seems to have little or no results.

Does the weight drop off soon as you stop taking this stuff?

All the best.

• Edited

the drug itself probably messes with your hormones keeping you fat. Not sure though. My weight fluxuates depending on certain medications and such. Theres nothing wrong with talking to your dr about cutting your doesage in half to see if you get some weight reduction. Coming off these phsych meds can be insaine. One girl mentioned the best way to come off them slowly by cutting her dosage in half for a while, then a quarter, then every other day. Thats basically what i did. i would also just wait it out until my withdrawl symtoms got too uncomfortable for me, then take a dose.

• Posted

Yea I was always skinny, around 60kg been at 80-85kg since been on mirt.

Get a good amount of daily exercise but it only breaks even. Was put on this stuff when giving up the drink, WD from alcohol are bad, hope not as bad with tapering off mirt.

• Edited

hey conor, i also went on it the first time after quitting drinking, ive been on it 3 times, im off it now and im 8 stone, hope everything works out for you 😃

• Posted

Congrats Toria! Can I ask what stone were ya while you were on it?

Thanks, been off the drink now 5 years, how about you? 😃

• Posted

hey, over 10 years now, and well done you 😃 i was about 12 stone at my heaviest!

• Posted

Thanks 😃 - 10 Years that's brilliant! first two years are tough. Alcohol WD was pretty bad to say the least :p - Hopefully tapering off Mirt is no comparison & I see the weight loss a.s.a.p fingers crossed

• Posted

yes its very tough, ive been on mirt 3 times, the first few were for years, stopped cold turkey and was fine except nausea, insomnia and dizziness, the third time i was on it less than 2 weeks (long story) and had horrid withdrawal for 5 months, i think its luck of the draw.

• Edited

Hey hope you're well. I came across this interesting read when I was looking for the difference between the two pills am on that shows Mirt is actually used to treat anorexia hence the cravings and weight gain

Regards.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.