Mirtazapine withdrawal, how long does it last?

Posted , 179 users are following.

Hi, Just looking for some reassurance/support. I was on mirtazapine for about 6months. I went up to 45mg and decided to taper down as I felt they were making me worse and the weight gain was nasty. I felt fab tapering down and generally, its been better than I anticipated however, I'm approaching the 3rd week off of mirtazapine and have started to feel a bit anxious the last few days. I've read withdrawal peaks around the 3/4week mark, so I'm trying to stay positive that it will pass.

15 likes, 803 replies

803 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi, I am so glad I have found this forum as I do not really have anyone to support me physically.  I have been taking mirtazapine (30mg) AND amitriptyline (25mg) for 14yrs.  I have tried twice to get off amitriptyline and both times I have given up as I was so ill.  I really want to get off these meds as they have seriously affected my teeth with the dry mouth that I constantly have.  Has anyone successfully come off these meds?  How long do you think I should take to come off them?  It seems like the only way is to lock yourself away for a year and just go through the hell.  The reason I was put on them in the first place (horrendous insomnia for years and a nervous breakdown/breakthrough which put me in hospital for 10 weeks) does not apply anymore.  If I do decide to come off them this forum will be a godsend.  Thank you for reading.
  • Posted

Hi,

I have been on mirtazapine 30mg for 8 months. I am currently attempting to taper have managed to cut down to 15mg within the last few weeks and I'm now attempting to reduce to 7.5mg but feel even worse than when I cut from 30mg to 15mg. I'm experiencing severe shaking and tremors, headaches and unable to get a good night's sleep. Is there anyone who has successfully got off these tablets and if so how long can I expect roughly until these side effects? Amy advice would be much appreciated

• Posted

I'm nearly 9 months into withdrawal and still shaking lol But I hope youre better now
    • Posted

Hello Lynz.

I don't usually post on any forum but I read your post and my

situation is EXACTLY the same as yours was over a year ago. I

too have been on mirtazapine 30mg for 8 months and as a

result have gained more than 40 lbs. I've had enough. The weight

gain has caused me more problems than the depression did. So

about 3 weeks ago I cut myself down to 15mg mirtazapine per

day. As a result I have suffered some anxiety (manageable),

moderate to severe body aches (which is complicated by the fact

that I already suffer from severe chronic pain due to 8 bulging

discs in my spine that I take more than 1 narcotic pain

medication for), the first week I had insomnia but now I find

myself sleeping almost around the clock which I find to be a

Godsend (it beats the heck out of suffering constantly). On Friday

I plan to stop taking Mertazapine altogether. Cold Turkey. If you

would like I will let you know how I'm making out and I would very

much like to know how you've made out since your battle with

Mirtazapine was over a year ago.

Thank you in advance for your reply.

• Posted

Hi jade

I'm in the same boat as you, was on mirt for 6 months 30mg, I want to come off, so have dropped down to 15mg. I had been 4 weeks now, the only symptoms I had was anxiety for 2/3 days in the beginning, nausea, stomach cramps for a few days and hard to sleep for a few days, this all lasted for the first week, otherwise I've been brill!

I'm going to stay on the 15 another two weeks

I'd like to know about your journey too.

• Posted

Hi all, I thought I'd give an "Update" at the "4 Months" mark.

120 day's of trying to stay positive and I'm still in withdrawal sad

I'm waiting for counciling but it's been 2 months and I've heard nothing.

My Gp sent me off with the Samaritans card and a tap on the shoulder saying well done you've coped so well ;( it's a joke and I'm tired. I can't believe how debilitating it's been and I've still got anxiety and my insomnias lasted 4 full days up till now and I don't like going over to sleep still because of the anxiety and jumping, when does this end.

My sleeps been difficult since stopping the sleep aids but I needed them in the beginning.

The doctor explained it's my subconscious mind working overtime and to ride the storm.

It's been tough, my eyes and mind seems focused when I'm wanting to sleep so I can't drift off.

I still feel down and I'm still having crying spells, palpitations and anxiety at 4 months.

It's been bloody exhausting 😴

I want to look after myself better but I'm still here with the w/d's,

I'm hoping this month will be better so I can turn this around

I follow this so I'll check in at the 5 months with an update.

I hope your all better ASAP

• Posted

how did the mirtaz taper go?  I am looking for others experiences as mine is not great
    • Posted

only weeks into my taper at 3.75 now, want to do next jump but nausea diarrhea and anxiety  and bad sleep.

how did you get on?  I am disturbed by how many people have to end up on another a/d to get over this one. My plan is to be med free, but when

• Posted

Hi Everyone,

I have been on Mirtazapine for a  year in July 2015. I was on 30 mg. and took myself down to 25 mg. It's been 5 days without taking anything. My head is finally clear and not triggered by my body but it has been one of the worst medicines I have taken. I have been going through almost all the symptoms that people are talking about. I almost admitted myself today. I ended up (with the support of friends & family) going to the healthfood store today and buying $100.00 worth of herbal remedies I have researched online. I will keep everyone posted as I take this journey to get myself back to a functioning level. I have been pushing myself to function and that, for the most part has helped with my anxiety. Best of luck to anyone on here who is struggling with this horrible medicine. I will do research way in advance before I will EVER take another prescription from a doctor. This has been one hellish ride!

• Posted

Hi Iannufc, I 55 days in now and I am feeling much better. I have taken a ton of natural remedies so it's hard to pinpoint which ones are working best. I know Gaba, passion flower, B complex, magnesium and probiotics are helping.

I still have stomach issues. Diarreah is a symptom that's hard to deal with. I have found that eating something at night before bed stops the stomach cramping and I sleep better but my digestion wakes me up around 5 am. I eat yogurt, flax seed and powdered greens and it keeps my stomach satisfied. I have read that seratonin is found in parts of the intestines too. So keeping a good digestive tract is a must for dealing with the side effects.

I still have trouble focusing, cry a lot, can't handle stress and have anxiety and panic attacks too. The main symptoms seem to lessen every day but I do have fits of rage trying to figure all this out. I seem to feel the most anxious in the morning and better at night. It makes me feel like I have a split personality at times.

All I can say is hang in there. Take as many good things you can take to help your body heal. Look into brain food and keeping your blood sugar at a good level. The way your body feels greatly affects how your mind reacts to the withdraw symptoms. No stimulants...coffee or tea. They enhance the effects.

I do see light at the end of the tunnel but it will take time on all our parts. I do still take Clonazepam for my anxiety. I couldn't handle the withdraws off of two drugs at once. That almost sent me over the edge. I have also heard to be careful of recreational drugs or drinking. We are literally like addicts coming off these meds and they can lead to addictions of other kinds. It's just a thought. Your body is craving something you are not giving it so make sure it doesn't latch onto another substance.

I really pray for all of you on here. NO ONE UNDERSTANDS this journey unless you are in it. It's a crazy ride but know that with proper nutrition, good support group and knowing this will pass and not last forever will help you. I also read a lot. The t.v. just makes me anxious. Look at documentaries and things that just plain make you feel good. Take walks and get out of the house NO MATTER HOW BAD YOU FEEL. I used to throw up every morning, shaking, tremors, no energy, panic attacks ect. and still force myself out the door. It helped my head to take a walk on the beach or just get some fresh air. Just know we are all here to help in any way we can and that we will make it through this together. Any of you can contact me on here and I would love to help in any way I can.

Take care and God Bless

• Posted

Glad to hear youre a bit better. Yes I heard that too most of the seretonin is in the gut which explains the problems I'm still having. It's unreal what these things can do to your body and brain, this last year has felt like 10 years. I was given these only to "help me sleep" the Dr didnt even tell me what they were, I've since been back many times and he says it's just anxiety lol. I remember when I was at the stage where I couldnt even watch television I know how you feel. In a few months you will feel MUCH better. cheers.
    • Posted

i am at the beginning of the last taper and have all the symptoms.  Worst are, nausea, diarrhea, anxiety, sleep.  I cant take a lot of supplements due to warfarin interaction so that's difficult, but i do not take caffeine.

i try to get out each day for a walk.  Life isnt very good just now, but i am hoping when i feel better i will do more.

you are right, we are like recovering addicts. Just wish incould help myself along with something natural.

any assistance is welcomed.

• Posted

Hi Rachel, just wondering how you're getting on, I stopped mirtazipine 5 days ago after tapering down very slowly, I know have bad insomnia, anxiety, upset tummy and generally feel crap. Would be good to hear how you're doing
    • Posted

Hi Claire

I was diagnosed with depression and generalised anxiety disorder (I came to realise the anxiety was a collection of additional symptoms of the depression that developed when the depression became severe) and took 15mg for five weeks, 30mg for four months and then 45mg for eight months, so I took mirtazapine for just over a year.  I had never taken any psychiatric medication before mirtazapine and have not taken anything else since I started.

Apart from the typical symptoms of taking the medication, such as the morning 'grogginess', lethargy, sleeping nine hours a night, greatly increased appetite and cravings for junk food, etc. I did not have any unusual symptoms and the benefits far outweighed the side effects; my mood was 'normalised' and my general anxiety went away.  I used to be among the calmest, most level-headed and pragmatic of my peers and the medication allowed me to begin getting back to that.  However, after about six months on the medication, I began to develop social anxiety and would experience a sharp rise in blood pressure and blush whenever I received any attention, particularly from multiple people at the same time.

After about nine months, the social anxiety had gradually worsened to the point that I would start to blush as soon as anybody spoke to me and if I received attention from numerous people at the same time, or the subject raised was a potentially embarressing or contentionous one, I would begin to sweat from the face only (as well as the severe blushing) which would cause people to ask "are you okay?!"

In the last couple of months that I took it before tapering down, I would get very anxious about going to dinners, parties, etc. as I knew I would receive a lot of attention from many people at the same time, I would not be able to make a polite escape, with people drinking the subjects raised may become a little crude and the environment would likely be very warm.  In these situations, my social anxiety was as described above but at its worst.  I would always have to excuse myself to go to the bathroom two or three times at a dinner of as many hours just to cool down, wipe my face with a tissue and take a break from the stress of it all, which made me feel more embarressed and stressed.  I have never been like this in my life and it is absolute torture!

Withdrawing, I went down from 45mg to 22.5mg for three weeks, 15mg for two weeks and then 7.5mg for a couple of days before stopping completely.  I couldn't wait to get off this medication and was so relieved when I did.

As I was reducing my dosage, I felt much better - the 'grogginess' in the mornings was starting to go, my energy levels were rising back up and my mood was unchanged.  However, two days after I stopped completely, I stopped sleeping - I could only sleep for three to five hours a night and my social anxiety and 'social sweating' quickly became worse.

I have now been off the medication for five days and I don't think I can face going out for the time being because I know what will happen and, the more it happens, the greater the fear I will inevitably develop.

I need this nightmare to be over so I can get on with my life and stop cowering indoors alone!  I look forward to hearing if anybody else has experienced social anxiety like this and how long it lasted.  Note that I have not, as yet, had any withdrawal symptoms other than the increase in social anxiety with the excessive sweating (both of which only arose during the course of medication), insomnia and a loss of appetite.  I did have the 'mirtazapine cough' for a couple of weeks while I was tapering down.

• Posted

hi robert

I was on 45mg for 12 months then went down to 30 mg for 6 months then i decided to come off this drug due to bad side effects i taperd down from the 30 mg over a couple of months and had my last 7mg about 2 months ago so have had nothing for 2 months, the withdrawl was not that bad untill about 3 weeks ago i went to the doctors for mucle pain the doctor told me it was gout never had pain this intence in my life he gave me some tabs for gout made no difference stoped them and the pain is mouving around my body  since then i have now been diagnosed with sciatica in my left leg was actually crying with the pain no painkillers would work,( men dont cry yer right ) it is just starting to ease but started to have panic attacks thinking the worst chest pains slight trembeling feeling and being sick dihorea actually had hold of the mirtazapine tabs in my hand two mins ago was going to go back on them untill i started to read these threads which have been so helpfull going to try and fight it out i do not want to go back on them again after taking so long to come off them just didnt realise the pain could be so bad  

• Posted

I am so happy to have founnd this site. I was never told that Mirtazapine was addicting. Like you I have sciatica in my buttck and down my left leg running into the sole of the foot. I went to a Chiropractor who put me on a table that stretched my back and leg, then went to accupuncture, both helped a lot.Try them out , they might help.
    • Posted

thanks for that i will try that i was thinking about trying accupunture i will book an appointment tomo will try anything someone sugested a tens machine aswell so will give that  try as well hope you are feeling better yourself kind regards
    • Posted

Ian I too have tens machine, it's great, but put the stick on pads in the right place, I have had mine for over a year, it's great too for arthritis of the knees. If I remember I got mine from medical arts and also ordered extra pads. I know what it's like to have sciatica, the longest nerve in the body, aches when sitting, walking and trying to sleep. Don't use heat, ice is best.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.