Mirtazapine withdrawal, how long does it last?

Posted , 179 users are following.

Hi, Just looking for some reassurance/support. I was on mirtazapine for about 6months. I went up to 45mg and decided to taper down as I felt they were making me worse and the weight gain was nasty. I felt fab tapering down and generally, its been better than I anticipated however, I'm approaching the 3rd week off of mirtazapine and have started to feel a bit anxious the last few days. I've read withdrawal peaks around the 3/4week mark, so I'm trying to stay positive that it will pass.

15 likes, 803 replies

803 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Yes some of my anxiety is to do with lack of sleep, which I still have, but hey, worse people off than me. If sleep was an issue but isn't now as much, then that is a big plus for you, and yes I got a cold as well, but it is only a cold, and it will soon pass
  • Posted

I've been on Mirtazapine for 2 months and have started weaning myself off because it stopped working and now have chronic insomnia.  My doctor has tried putting me on other drugs to taper me off but i get all kinds of nasty side effects from them as well.  I'm on 22.5 mg, can i just stop it at this amount?  I'm also on supplements to help with anxiety and sleep, just not working yet.  Any suggestions or help you can give is appreciated.

• Posted

I wouldn't stop it at 22 if you google CITA they have a chart for tapering Infact you can call and email them. They are the experts on withdrawal from anti depressants and tranquilizers. I would call them ( or write) let them know your circumstances and then follow their lead. You may not have a bad time of it going off but play the cautious side, can't hurt. I took a multi vitamin, b12, fish oil and also try your best to eat healthy. Benadryl helped me, for sleep,and for itches. If you have any nausea, ask your doctor for an anti nausea .....don't go the pepto route unless  it's minor. Keep some ant acids n hand as well. I had no headaches but might want to carry an advil or two. Good luck ...!
    • Posted

What is their phone number?  I googled CITA but nothing came up, so what is that spelled out and do you have their phone number please? 
    • Posted

Hi

You might not find Cita on Google anymore as they are closing the charity after 28yrs! They don't get any funding so have decided to close on 31st March! It's really sad as they have been my support in coming off Mirtazapine too!

Good luck x

• Posted

I kept tapering to 7.5, and when I stopped, within three days I was in pure misery. That was 18 days ago, and I am still suffering. Abdominal pain, cramps, bloating, insomnia, anxiety, stress, weak, nausea, dry mouth, and others. This is my second attempt, and I am determined to stay off this horrible mess. I now understand why those who abuse drugs sometimes have to admit themselves to special hospitals to detox. The emotional support alone is worth it. My advice to anyone getting off this stuff, or any of the others, if possible, find you a buddy as support that will be there for you 24/7 until you are over the hump, and do it before you start. I hope that this will help someone. David
  • Posted

do stay positive and if you continue to have problems Google CITA, they can help you with WD symptoms. Good luck !!! You can call in UK or email.....
    • Posted

When I google CITA nothing comes up so what is that spelled out and how can i call them?
  • Posted

I am on day 18, and it has been mostly hell. This is my second attempt, and I feel awful. Physical, emotional, and any other way. I too hope that 3 to 4 weeks will take us around the corner. I was on 45 for about 8 years.
    • Posted

Hi David,

How are you feeling now? I'm on day 25 and going through hell, I've had to take a diazepam yesterday and today, I feel like I'm losing my mind 😪 I'm nearly at the point of going back on them. Does it get any easier?

• Posted

I,ve been on Mirtazapine for about 15 years (45mg) & i,m currently trying to get healthier so i joined a gym 6 months ago & made the decision to cut down 2 weeks ago to 30mg & i,m feeling terrible,I have the worst headaches i,ve ever had in my life & i,m finding it incredibly hard to get to sleep,Also i,m getting angrier than i have ever have before,Hope this really eases as i,ve booked myself in the docs in 3 days to see what he says,

• Posted

Hi Carl,

Just reading through posts and noticed yours. Wondered how it was going with your reduction of mirt. I made it down to 7.5mg and am currently stuck at this dose. I have started prozac to use as a bridge for the final step, but 4 weeks on prozac and i'm still nowhere near stable enough to go any further. Good luck anyhows

• Posted

Still got major headaches Craig,i,m sleeping a little bit better and i think thats helping my mood,hopefully i,m getting through the worst of it now,well thats til i try and drop down to 15 in a few months time,

• Posted

Hi Carl ,

hows it going with you?  I do hope it's got easier for you.  What did the doc say?  I have been on 45 for a couple of years today starting on 30g. 

Please tell me you feel better now. Do you think going to the gym helped you?  I too slog it out cardio and weights 6/7 days a week and has been my saving grace so far and had hoped that it would make for easier tapering.  I really admire you for coming off the mirt after 15 years.  Just think of the sh*t leaving your body and be real kind to yourself.

• Posted

Hi Ive been on mirtazapine for about 8 years it took Phychs years to get my meds right Mirtaz worked ok but side affect was weight gain, Since December I have had anxiety so now my gp is talking about changing to sertraline obviously reducing my mirtaz slowly but I dont know Mitza has the weight issues but at least it keeps my mood ok but the anxiety is leaving me unable to function.

I dony know what to do

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.